Question about snakes

by callitquits76 22 Replies latest jw friends

• callitquits76
    callitquits76

Hi everyone, long time no post but I wanted your opinion on something please.

Well a friend of mine has just got a corn snake.

Its a baby but it will grow up to 6ft.

I never considered myself anti-snake because I know people do have phobias on them, but seeing it in action, including the way it eats, has really put me off - not only snakes, but also, the friendship. That sounds really lame, and I dont mean completely discard of this person, but for some reason, I have a feeling of distance from this person all of a sudden.

Ive been watching a few videos as to how people feed their snakes, and they feed them rats, mice and 'pinkies' which are dead *or alive* new born mice. I cant believe the level of cruelty going on, some people throw live animals into the tank. Before you say its only nature, well ok but how about I throw you into the lions den and let nature take its course? Some people throw rats into the bath where they know it isnt going to escape.

But anyhow, seeing this person talk and pett their snake is really discomforting. They feed it little dead mice like a mother breast feeds her baby. The way the snake eats is horrible.

So my question is, 'Do you think snakes have emotion?'

I mean, is the close relationship justified? Is it just a cold blooded beast with no emotion at all?

I just cant understand this attraction to snakes and certainly cant understand why people would want to sacrifice mice to give to a snake.

I'm a real nature person but this I just cannot understand.

• diffedexjw
    diffedexjw

woah, you went way overboard. It's just a snake. Snakes eat mice, we eat other animals too. BTW snakes are doing us a favor, mice and rats are dirty nasty little creatures that can spred disease. I don't think they have emotion or thought in that matter. They are animals that are pure nature.

• callitquits76
    callitquits76

Most animals spread disease, and snakes kill humans. Whats your point?

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Ask your friend to put the snake away and not to feed it when you are around. Or don't go visit at the friends home, do things other places or at your place.

My friend has a cat - cats are ok but i'm allergic and they get hair all over the place. I don't go to her house and she doesn't get offended.

nj

• diffedexjw
    diffedexjw

just because someone has an animal you don't like, doesn't mean you shouldn't be friends with them. do what ex-nj-jw said and just don't go over there, if you're that afraid of a little animal. and really lots of other animals kill people too.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Corn snakes are cool. There are lots of them slithering around here.

BTS

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hobbies and interest tell one a lot about a person.

Birds of a feather flock together.

callitquits I share your feeling and emotions on the issue.

The world lies in the power of the wicked one, I believe he is called Jehovah.

The designer of man Satin, tells us to be kind to animals.

We will be judged how we treat the animals when we die.

Its really hard to make sense out of, living here on earth.

You and I could never be like your friend, because of our genes and our

heritage.

Read Slave species of God by Michael Tellinger and see where that takes you.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Wow Are You Serious ?? You would give up on a friendship just because they have a pet snake ??? I don't think I could ever be friends with you then ........

I must confess I have a pet corn snake living in my household for the past 12yrs ! My youngest son got it when he was nine yrs old . He loved science and studying about reptiles especially snakes . So he saved his allowance and bought a baby corn snake . He checked out books in the library on how to care for it and has done a pretty good job of it all these yrs. It is now about four and a half feet long ,still skinny though .

He feeds his snake frozen mice (thawed out of course ) because THAT IS WHAT SNAKES EAT ! He never feeds it live animals because this causes snakes in captivity to be a bit more aggressive, and it could cause injury to the snake if it's food bit back . When he was young his friends were fasicnated on how a snakes jaw dislocates to eat and how it hinges and unhinges it to do so .

He is attached to his snake because he has had it so long ....he doesn't snuggle or kiss it though .

I think you are being quite ridiculous to JUDGE your friends interest so quickly . If it bothers you to see it just ask her to keep it in another room when you are around . We had to do that for my father in law ,he hates snakes .

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

BTW Snakes have instinct not emotion .

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

If the snake starts to talk and have philosophical discussions about your position in life in relation to other living beings ... then I'd get concerned.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit