Question about snakes

by callitquits76 22 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I caught snakes, kept and fed them for years as a kid. My mother just drew the line at poisonous snakes. The easiest thing to do to feed snakes properly is to get some all beef or chicken hot dogs, cut those into the right sizes and then you unhinge their jaws carefully with a blunt butter knife and stuff the food down their mouths. Once it's past the head they'll just swallow it.

This way no weird trauma from watching life feed on life.

I only did that once and I hated it. My bull snake ate a rat after it gave birth and then I came in to find all these sad little baby rats squirming about with no mamma. I freaked and rode my bike all over town trying to find a wet rat nurse. I ended up flushing them down the toilet after my own failed attempts to feed them through a tiny eye dropper.

• sir82
    sir82
    If the snake starts to talk and have philosophical discussions about your position in life in relation to other living beings ... then I'd get concerned.

And if it tells you to disrobe and then eat a piece of fruit...run!

• Spectre
    Spectre

Making someone watch snakes eat is not the best of introductions to snake keeping.

I have 4 myself and some are definitely more friendly than others.

Snakes are one of the most primitive animals on earth and while they aren't the most emotional of creatures, it is fun watching their behavior.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The birds in my garden eat worms, bugs, butterflies etc.

I used to feed my tropical fish live food, including small fish. Sometimes they would eat quite large fish that they were not supposed to.

My cat used to catch mice and play with them until they were dead, then leave them. My hens would eat them.

Would you give up a freindship with someone because they like to dig over a patch of garden so that their hens or the wild birds in their garden could eat the worms?

Or because they have a cat that kills and eats mice and birds and the odd rabbit or two?

Or because they keep tropical fish and feed them mosquito larvae or brine shrimp or guppies?

Does it really matter whether or not the snake/cat/fish/turtle has emotions? Does our imaginary friend have emotions?

At least the snake is not imaginary, even if its emotions are.

Welcome to the forum

Cheers

Chris

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

***peeks in...see it is not about me...ducks back out. ***

Snakes ()

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

My son has a corn snake, it's pink in colour, quite unique. It feeds on dead mice much like i feed on dead cows, pigs, lamb and fish.

Paul

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Snakes, like most animals, do not have the ability to think in the way humans do. They are not aware that something is going to happen to them.

• crapola
    crapola

In my opinion, the only good snake is a dead sanke,,, no offense intended for you snake lovers out there.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I don't think it's a character flaw if you do like snakes, I could still be friends. But no way could I enter a home where there was a snake, I am really, really afraid of them. What if it got loose and it slithered.......OMG can't think about it!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I mean, is the close relationship justified? Is it just a cold blooded beast with no emotion at all?

I just cant understand this attraction to snakes and certainly cant understand why people would want to sacrifice mice to give to a snake.

Hey, look at how many Americans were eager to sacrifice Iraqi and American children for Dick Cheney and their own sense of security

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit