Ramapo denies Jehovah's Witnesses tax exemption

by lrkr 47 Replies latest jw friends

• PEC
    PEC
    PEC- $11.5

Doh

• thomas15
    thomas15

I think that as long as the property is used for "Religious" Purposes then ultimately the tax exemption will stand. This is as long as they are able to get the land rezoned as needed.

It is of interest to note that where I live, the Catholic Diocese of Allentown PA has closed about 50 local churches in a consolidation move. The local tax collectors are looking to collect taxes on closed, unused churches. I think they (the tax collectors) will be successful but it will be interesting to see how it plays out, especially since the Allentown AD cannot afford to run them and there are not a whole lot of church building buyers out there at this time. Some of these buildings are high maintaince units and then there is the "Historical Value" of some of these buildings. This will put both the church and the county tax collectors in an awkward position.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

If the level of help they report is acceptable for tax relief it seems to me pretty much anybody could apply for it. It seems to me disingenuous to claim to be serving the community and then preaching it is all up for destruction imminently. The humanitarian acts mentioned are no more than any right thinking atheist would do under the circumstances (especially the 9/11 example). Jeesh - the WTS make my stomach turn over.

• mraimondi
    mraimondi

JWs arent the only religion who believe in destruction of society...

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Agreed. They are not the only ones ripping the tax system off.

• undercover
    undercover

Nothing to get too worked up over. The land is zoned for purposes not religious at this point in time. Even though the Society currently owns the land, they'll have to pay taxes on it until the time the land is re-zoned for "convent and monastary" use. At that time, they'll get their exemption.

To make sure they get a favorable ruling on the zoning, they'll promise to do other things that benefit the locals and make the powers-that-be feel good about letting them have the zoning they need. A lot of companies do similar.

I'm sure the WTS was expecting to have to pay some taxes until they got the land rezoned, but they were gonna try to get away with it anyway. You never know when it might slip through.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

It is of interest to note that where I live, the Catholic Diocese of Allentown PA has closed about 50 local churches in a consolidation move. The local tax collectors are looking to collect taxes on closed, unused churches. I think they (the tax collectors) will be successful but it will be interesting to see how it plays out, especially since the Allentown AD cannot afford to run them and there are not a whole lot of church building buyers out there at this time. Some of these buildings are high maintaince units and then there is the "Historical Value" of some of these buildings. This will put both the church and the county tax collectors in an awkward position.

From a financial standpoint..and budgeting for the community - I would press for taxes on any unoccupied and unused land and/or building that is currently exempt for religious reasons. There is no reason for a piece of property that is owned by a religious order but unused, to be exempt - it offers nothing to the community. I'm sure if there is not a law regarding this, one can be worked in. sammieswife.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

They will probably win this. But it's nice to see that the town is not just caving in. I think some of the Brooklyn boys didn't think this through very well. They bought property without getting the zoning right. They may end up paying for that.

• thomas15
    thomas15

From a financial standpoint..and budgeting for the community - I would press for taxes on any unoccupied and unused land and/or building that is currently exempt for religious reasons. There is no reason for a piece of property that is owned by a religious order but unused, to be exempt - it offers nothing to the community. I'm sure if there is not a law regarding this, one can be worked in. sammieswife.

I think the tax exemption is because of the constitutional right to freedom of religion, not what the religion offers in the way of goods/services/perks to the community. I'm not on the side of the WT, rather on the side of the US Constitution.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Last paragraph "Today, Jehovah's Witnesses continue to defend freedom of religion and freedom of conscience in many countries around the world."

There is no freedom of religion or conscience in their own homes.

Their fight is for the freedom to take away your freedom.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit