Ramapo denies Jehovah's Witnesses tax exemption

by lrkr 47 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

"Today, Jehovah's Witnesses continue to defend freedom of religion and freedom of conscience in many countries around the world."

translation:

"As and when it suits us we will invoke religious freedom as a pretext to establish our recruitment process. Once our recruitment is legally recognised we rapidly lose interest in furthering the cause of religious freedom, particularly the application of such freedoms to those members seeking to leave."

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

think the tax exemption is because of the constitutional right to freedom of religion

I'm not arguing that point at all. A Kingdom Hall that is being used falls under that - a piece of unused property just because it's owned by a tax exempt religious organization should not. Taxing them for unused property is not violating their rights at all..and perhaps since the constitution can be deliberated by lawyers many times over, this could be argued in a court against religious organizaitons. By allowing religious organizations to buy up property anywhere, anytime and then sit on it and claim religious tax exemption without using that property for said activities, could cause hardship for the rest of the community from loss of revenue. It would further allow for tremendous abuse of the system. sammieswife.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Article quote: A property-tax exemption has been denied for 248 acres owned by the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Holy moly! This is huge! Even if this does not pass, just the fact that it has been brought to attention is something.

As for public service, a dear friend told me that she heard NY witnesses bragging that they were giving out Watchtowers in the chaos after the twin towers crashed. Others were giving out much-needed bottles of water! The sisters reportedly laughed at those handing out water... because the Witnesses were giving the water of everlasting life...

• watson
    watson
    The sisters reportedly laughed at those handing out water... because the Witnesses were giving the water of everlasting life...

This stinks of apostate BS.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Watson said: This stinks of apostate BS.

Well I'm sorry you think so. I know how conversations went when I was out in service (picking out the house one was going to claim after the hapless worldly owners were zapped at Armegeddon.)

Don't tell me you doubt this was said.

• watson
    watson

Yes, I doubt this was said. And, I too remember the conversations about picking out houses after Armageddon.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Watson said: Yes, I doubt this was said.

That is your preogative, and doubting is good.

I only said "reportedly" because I was not there, and no, I can't verify it. My friend does not lie, and she heard the witnesses tell this story about their own experience, and they were being smug about it. Therefore, having not received this anecdote as some forwarded urban-myth e-mail, I personally have no doubt that this happened.

That is all.

• watson
    watson

So be it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit