Did being raised a JW retard your career or cost you BIG $$$?

by The Berean 38 Replies latest jw friends

• The Berean
    The Berean

I was offered a Journalism scholarship at Ohio State ... Mom made me turn it down cause "Armageddonwas near"... ended up a janitor!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Yes and yes.

I also was forced to turn down a nice job that would be paying me a pension with health benefits for life, plus it would have paid my way through college.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Yes and yes.

Numerous opportunities righteously avoided for the sake of the Big A.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

No, but I am very lucky.

I graduated high school in 1993. Never made any preparations for college. My family, my JW peers, and I never even considered it an option. So I never went. (This was about the time the WTS transitioned from college being unacceptable to college being "ok" if you use it to further your "career" in dubdom.)

During my senior year of high school I worked half-days as a computer programmer while getting credits towards graduation. It was through our high school's "Inquiry Into Science" program. I stayed out there for a few years and it really boosted my career in Information Technology. I have a great job and a great salary, all without having a college degree.

I don't think any of my JW friends were so lucky.

• Spook
    Spook

Yes and yes.

I graduated at the top of my H.S. class and had a free ride just about anywhere. I wound up going to a local university and living at home. I count my self lucky I at least got a B.S. in engineering and am doing well financially. I will always regret not leaving JW's sooner and going to a more prominent university for law or medicine. I've tried to go back for a field that interests me more since, but being six years out of school has limited my options significantly. I now have a job that is secure, but which I stumbled into by default not passion.

I think the inhumaneness of killing one's passion is terrible. Life is so short. I always beat up the dubs who debate me when they tell me "what else would I do?" I realize for some it's too late, but I purposefully DA'd myself not for any moral reason but specifically because I fully intended to live a secular life to the fullest and wouldn't waste any time pretending to be a JW.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Yes, I sort of lucked into my IT/Telecom career... I started out as a temp working in a mainframe tape library, and worked my way up from there. I make decent money, and have good benefits, but I do often think of Scruffy the Tugboat when he'd say "I was ment for bigger things! Toot! Toot!".

It could be better, but then again it could be worse.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I never did college because of the elders and parents being blinded by the "waste" mentality.

I'm doing well, but I always have the fear that if things go bad, interviews will go bust!

so, for the past 10 years I've been making around $100k...

but, I still have hate for what the wt does to the ones that aren't as lucky as I have been.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Yes and yes. I got into the JWs during the 1970's and you can figure what that was like. If I had my life to live over again I would become a paleoanthropologist blowing of dust from neanderthal bones.

• Priest73
    Priest73

I went to college as a dub. It wasn't really frowned on in the early 90s. atleast not in my town.

However, I did my graduate work as an evil Apostate!

• The Berean
    The Berean

Good feedback ... perhaps we have stumbled upon the real "root of all evil" when it comes to the anger we see later in life from ex-JWs ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit