Did being raised a JW retard your career or cost you BIG $$$?

by The Berean 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Kudra
    Kudra

Yes and yes, I think.

In high school I excelled at science and math. At that point I wished I could have gone on to major in chemistry in college... buuuut I was "encouraged" to pursue a "practical" career that could be gotten in a short time at the local comunity college.

So I sold out and went to community college and got an AA in Early Childhood Education! Woohoo! Something that totally wasted my talents and skills!!

After 2 years as a preschool teacher I said, enough of this, went back to the same community college, got all of the transferable units I could and went to an actual university.

BUT the JW mindset was still with me and though I was interested in Botany I sold out yet again and got another "practical" degree in Forestry. Cause, you know, you can easily get a job right after you graduate with a BS, blah blah blah, trying to justify my appaling persistence in not doing what I REALLY wanted to do- which was to go to school and do science for the thrill and enjoyment of doing science.

Well, as I was finishing my BS in Forestry my advisor told me about the cool science of Dendrochronology and I was so turned on by my study of it for my senior project that I found the best schools in this discipline and applied to all of them for graduate school! I had my pick of schools and am extremely happy with the work I am doing now. I should graduate in a year and am very satisfied with what I have (finally) chosen.

If I had not been a JW I would have gone straight into a "hard science", graduated right on time, and probably gotten a PhD like, 5 years ago. I could have been making the big bucks as a professor or in industry. But I guess that's what we all tell ourselves. :P

I am ok with where I am right now- having taken this path I would never have had all the experiences I have, have traveled so much for fun or have met my husband I have.

I guess what is important is to make the most of where you are right now in life. Always be moving forward and improving your lot in life somehow, always try to make other's lives better and more interesting and enjoy what is around you.

I sound so cheesy!!!

-K

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I should have given modeling a go. It was'nt even on the table . I know plenty of dubs who did though. I was offered education at Osgoode hall in Torornto, but I was so disturbed by the time I got the offer, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

When I was 17 years of age, the sister of Peter Jennings ( the American news caster), who owned Springfeild mews condominiums, where I worked, liked me so much, they asked me if I would work in their pub, The Bird Cage. I said no way. I am one of Jehovah's Shitnesses. She said, oh no dear,we just want you to stoke the fire a bit and a few light duties. I said,I'm afraid my christian standards just won't allow it. I used to do errands for Jennings mother, as well. It could have led to much bigger things without question. I was working double time for these people and breaking my back. They just wanted to make my life easier. F@#$

Throughout the years after the damage was done,I turned down offers all the time. Once from two ladies who were on tour from Findlay Ohio, who were sisters,and rich. Between them,they owned six gas wells. They gave me 40dollars american just for talking to them,and their adress in Findlay. I never took them up on it.

I could go on. But what's the point. All that was lost is beyond beleif. No chess, no Dungeons and dragons, no dating, no "F" all, and for what? Empty promises, bullshit, backstabbing, lies. You Effin Effers,owe me big time! 6 years of the streets and seven living at the YMCA> FU!~

• Confucious
    Confucious

This is an interesting thread.

I have a pretty nifty career. And I guess you could say that my career can put me in compromising situations.

Anyway... I remember sitting in the elder's room where it was suggested that I just abandon my business.

I told them that I wouldn't - because while my "everlasting life" is as stake - that it is un-Christian to just "close up shop" since there are a lot of people that depend on me for my business.

But at the same time... I didn't want to live my life "regretting" a decision.

At one time... I wanted to be a C.O.

I never reached that goal.

But when I had that goal. I decided I wouldn't do it unless I had a small home paid in full and some money in the bank.

I knew I didn't want to come off of C.O. work and be broke.

Great thread.

• oompa
    oompa

no.....i was dipped in scotch......and rolled in luckydust........oompa

• onefootout
    onefootout

Uh, Did you just say I was raised a JW retard? Ok, fair enough that's probably pretty accurate.

My answer a resounding yes and who knows what might have been.

I was a pretty intelligent kid, in gifted classes, could have gone into sports, reached for academic and sports scholarships(we didn't have much money), but that was all no no. Even taking AP classes was somehow viewed as lacking in faith because it hinted at preparing for university. So, I had managed underachievement. Much bitterness about what might have beens, but try not to think about it too much because it is rather depressing and doesn't accomplish anything. Great thread. ofo

• oompa
  • sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I took an Accounting course in high school and got a job as a receptionist a few weeks after graduation. From there I moved onto the Accounting Depts of a few different companies. I learned all I know through work experience and now make more than $60K/year. I am currently employed at a company that is sending me back to school to get my BS in Accounting.

If anything, MY DECISION to not got to college as a JW saved me about $40K or more in tuition fees.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

No. I was offered a scholarship and I took it. You know how the Organization always says that higher education will make you leave the Witnesses?

They're right.

• Jack Burton
    Jack Burton

My wife was accepted into the Milwaukee Art Museums program in high school. She amazed me with the talent she had in painting, she painted several pieces that looked like they came from a museum. When I met her she had just come back from Egypt as an Au Pair for a family who's father was in a medical internship in the states. Me being a typical JW, I had no education besides high school, working in construction, her view of the world made me feel how small I actually was.

We now have 4 wonderful children who see the "TRUTH" for the bullshit that it is. We have never been closer than we are now. I am going back to school to get a nursing degree. I want to leave a real mark on this world before I leave it.

I do feel that this organization robbed my wife and I of our potential before it could blossom. But, the rest is up to us, stand or fall on our own.

• Lieu
    Lieu

Kinda and No.

I think in the beginning it posed problems communicating with normal human beings. I got over that one in no time.

I went to college in the 80's, no one said anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit