Service meeting last week on how to treat DF ones

by tinker 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• boyzone
    boyzone

I reckon this hard-line could be a good thing for some. Taking into account the last book study meeting and the up and coming April 09 WT, quite a few dubs might start to baulk at all this crap especially when close family is involved.

My parents really surprised me. I was expecting a cold reception, even the full shunning from them but instead they were all over me. They even said they were looking forward to seeing my eldest son when he next visited (he's gay and disassociated).

I could hardly believe my ears! And all this from a dad who's been VERY unkind in defending the Witnesses at all costs.

I didn't like to rock the boat but I get the feeling they've had enough of being made to think of me as a vomit eating dog.

The Society may well have shot themselves in the foot with this hard-line crap, at least with some anyway.

BZ

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

If they can study that, and can do the cognitive backflips they have to do to make it all okay, they're too manic to miss from your life. You can't buy that kind of affirmation. They're crazy. You're not. It's ok.

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, I checked the April 2009 KM and there is no part on df'd people. This must be referring to the first meeting the "bible" (book) study where there is an appendix part on that.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Now I will bash the study. Why do they need two weeks of solid information to tell them how they are to think of someone?

I guess it's because everything they are allowed to think, say, do, or feel has to be what the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger tells them to.

• redking
    redking

Well the first week was about some other things too but it led into talking about Disfellowshipping and why it happens...You could the disfellowshipped ones turn red and get uncomfortable. The second week was strictly on the topic and how to treat them, needless to say not a disfellowshipped person in sight. I wonder if they'll return?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

So, I asked him, if I were to use the Watchtower logo on a business logo of mine, would the Watchtower org. sue me?

Great reply.

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

It was the congregation Bible study from the book "Keep Yourselves in God's Love Pages 207-209

HowtoTreataDisfellowshippedPerson

Few things can hurt us more deeply than the pain we suffer when a relative or a close friend is expelled from the congregation for unrepentant sin. How we respond to the Bible’s direction on this matter can reveal the depth of our love for God and of our loyalty to his arrangement. Consider some questions that arise on this subject.

How

shouldwetreatadisfellowshippedperson? The Bible says: “Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man.” (1 Corinthians 5:11) Regarding everyone that “does not remain in the teaching of the Christ,” we read: “Never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him. For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works.” (2 John 9-11) We do not have spiritual or social fellowship with disfellowshipped ones. TheWatchtower of September 15, 1981, page 25, stated: “A simple ‘Hello’ to someone can be the first step that develops into a conversation and maybe even a friendship. Would we want to take that first step with a disfellowshiped person?”

Is

strictavoidancereallynecessary? Yes, for several reasons. First, it is a matter of loyalty to God and his Word. We obey Jehovah not only when it is convenient but also when doing so presents real challenges. Love for God moves us to obey all his commandments, recognizing that he is just and loving and that his laws promote the greatest good. (Isaiah 48:17; 1 John 5:3) Second, withdrawing from an unrepentant wrongdoer protects us and the rest of the congregation from spiritual and moral contamination and upholds the congregation’s good name. (1 Corinthians 5:6, 7) Third, our firm stand for Bible principles may even benefit the disfellowshipped one. By supporting the decision of the judicial committee, we may touch the heart of a wrongdoer who thus far has failed to respond to the efforts of the elders to assist him. Losing precious fellowship with loved ones may help him to come “to his senses,” see the seriousness of his wrong, and take steps to return to Jehovah.—Luke 15:17.

What

ifarelativeisdisfellowshipped? In such a case, the close bond between family members can pose a real test of loyalty. How should we treat a disfellowshipped relative? We cannot here cover every situation that may arise, but let us focus on two basic ones.

In some instances, the disfellowshipped family member may still be living in the same home as part of the immediate household. Since his being disfellowshipped does not sever the family ties, normal day-to-day family activities and dealings may continue. Yet, by his course, the individual has chosen to break the spiritual bond between him and his believing family. So loyal family members can no longer have spiritual fellowship with him. For example, if the disfellowshipped one is present, he would not participate when the family gets together to study the Bible. However, if the disfellowshipped one is a minor child, the parents are still responsible to instruct and discipline him. Hence, loving parents may arrange to conduct a Bible study with the child.—Proverbs 6:20-22; 29:17.

In other cases, the disfellowshipped relative may be living outside the immediate family circle and home. Although there might be a need for limited contact on some rare occasion to care for a necessary family matter, any such contact should be kept to a minimum. Loyal Christian family members do not look for excuses to have dealings with a disfellowshipped relative not living at home. Rather, loyalty to Jehovah and his organization moves them to uphold the Scriptural arrangement of disfellowshipping. Their loyal course has the best interests of the wrongdoer at heart and may help him to benefit from the discipline received.—Hebrews 12:11.

[Footnotes]Bible principles on this subject apply equally to those who disassociate themselves from the congregation.

For more information about disfellowshipped minor children living in the home, see TheWatchtower of October 1, 2001, pages 16-17, and November 15, 1988, page 20.

For more information about how to treat disfellowshipped relatives, see the Scriptural counsel discussed in TheWatchtower of April 15, 1988, pages 26-31, and September 15, 1981, pages 26-31.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

As I read this thread I'm struck by how far I've come since leaving the "truth." I actually feel nothing but pity for these people, in the past my heart would have been filled with anger and rage.

Life is good on the outside. Those poor JW's, having to sit there and have this crap pounded into their heads. Constantly being whipped back on to the hamster wheel, driven like slaves to keep running and obey Momma organization. Obviously the GB sense a real danger. It seems that the majority of their writings now seem to focus on apostates and DFed individuals. Could it be that the wheels are falling of the proverbial cart?

Can you imagine Jesus constantly walking around talking about how horrible prostitutes and tax collectors are, and how any good Jew would shun them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit