Did you loose your faith after leaving the false?

by wtfmidoing 42 Replies latest jw friends

• wtfmidoing
    wtfmidoing

New to this and as a nonbeliever I would like to ask how many people lost their belief in a god after leaving the WTS. Why or why not? What opened your eyes? What made the light get brighter? What finally seemed to be too much?

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I always believed in God, but I didn't know him and I didn't speak to him very often. Now I know him and am in a relationship with him. This is liberating as I haven't needed anyone else, let alone a publishing corporation, to receive this gift from God.

• boyzone
    boyzone

I believed in God right from a 12 year old. I WANTED to go to Sunday school even though my parents weren't churchgoers. Then they were groomed by the JW's and I left the church to follow what my parents wanted. Since leaving JW's I am renewing my infant faith but I'm still very much a babe.

I could never get this "relationship with Jehovah" thing. Somehow God just always felt distant and more than once I felt I was battling everything on my own (I probably was)

This kinda made me feel never good enough for God as if he was holding back his blessing cos I wasn't spiritual enough/wasn't studying enough/Harry Potter books were in the house/didn't pioneer when I should have/hated studying with the kids etc. No matter how hard I tried or how much effort I made, nothing ever felt good enough, there was always more to do, more to read, more to study, more about me to correct. I was truly exhausted and completely guilt-ridden.

Now my faith is turning more to Jesus Christ since I finally understand that I don't have to do anything to gain his approval. When I finally understood this, it was incredibly liberating and, for the first time ever, makes me want to gain His approval. My relationship with Christ is still in its infancy and my trust somewhat fragile but its growing.

I'm a 44 year old woman, mother of 4 sons and married for 26 years, yet in a way I am that 12 year old girl again, back on the right spiritual path after taking a long and damaging detour.

• wobble
    wobble

I have not lost my faith,as a born in to the WT,from a very early age 6 or 7 I began to have a love for Almighty God and his Son and for his Word the Bible.

Since leaving the Wt my attitude has changed,in that I don't see the Bible in quite the same way, yet I do believe that God is behind it ,or inspired its writing.

But I still have this trust in God, and feel that my love for Him has grown since leaving.

I know the atheists on here will think me silly, but I don't care what anyone thinks, my faith is MINE and strong.

My faith was ,anyway, always seperate from the religion, in that I knew from an early age that the WT had got a lot wrong, I just believed in my naivity that somehow God was using them.

I now know that He never has had anything to do with the WT corporation or Jehovah's Witnesses.

Love

Wobble

• Decided
    Decided

Yes. I attend church with my wife but don't believe a word of it. I like the people there, but don't see how any one could believe all the stuff that is said there. As I see religion it just fills a need for someone to feel they have something out there to prolong thier life after death. There is no provable evidence that God is out there looking after all his christain friends. It is all just a mystery to me. There are too many conflicts between religions for there to be a true one. I'm waiting for death to enlighten me, or not.

Ken P.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Some days I have faith, other days I think it's all a pile of crap. I wish I could make up my mind.

W

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

@ boyzone - praise the Lord.

I'm totally with you, it's all about Jesus. Get to know him, talk to him; he's alive and well.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I didn't "lose" my faith after leaving the dubs 30 years ago. I ripped it off like a filthy overcoat, tossed it on the ground and trampled it for a while, then threw it into the trash, where it belonged.

And please, no baby-with-the-bathwater comments. I've looked and not found anything that's worthy of blind faith.

• viva
    viva

I lost my faith before I left. And really all I needed to destroy any faith I might have had was the bible.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I've been out of the tower since 83.

My faith was pretty strong in the 80's and 90's.

I read the bible cover to cover 5 times during that time, and took notes and

reflected on my notes and readings.

Today my faith is kind of shaky to borderline non exhistant.

I dont find that a comfortable position.

I discern to a degree, that if I want answers to all my questions then my faith will be rocked.

As far as I can tell there are not answers to all of our questions regarding our exhistence.

We need faith no matter how we believe,

Whether we believe in God,

No God, atheism

Creation,

or evolution.

What ever you believe takes faith.

No matter how much faith I have had throughout my life, I came to realize, I was

always the one dragging my fanny out of bed in morning and going to work to

pay the bills.

Thats what my life has been about here, paying bills.

And whether I have a lot of faith or a little faith,

I am still the one out there paying the bills.

Working and paying the bills is kind of like a living hell.

So I do have faith that someday I wont have to get up, go to work and pay the

bills,

Thats what I call faith.

When that day comes I may or may not be dead.

My faith has always been about not having to get up go out into the world and pay

bills what else is there to have faith about?

People like me were made to be bill payers aka consumers.

Work is what we do when we are not enjoying ourselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit