The IRS took my money. :(

by Elsewhere 78 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I got back almost $1600.... I try to tweak my W4 allowances to minimize my refund so as to not give Uncle Sam a free loan all year.. get the money throughout the year.

Half of that $1600 was a credit for education expenses.... pretty sweet. I will use it to pay for my tuition for my summer semester instead of charging it to my credit card again.

Snakes ()

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Elsewhere, look at the positive side: You're in your first house while so many others are losing theirs! That's a blessing and something to be proud of, congratulations.

You can still have a garden, you possess the soil now. Seeds are cheap. Kitchen scraps + grass clippings = Compost, Black Gold.

You can scavenge decent lumber to build raised beds. Some labor up front and basic maintenance thru the season.

Taxes and losses suck big time, but the government has yet to take our home-growns away.

~Sue

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Couldn't you have taken a loan on your 401 K instead of withrawing it?

By withdrawing it you paid tax on it depending on what tax bracket you are in plus a 10 percent penalty unless you were over 59 1/2. That sucks big time.

Well now at least you can count your house interest on your taxes. And real estate taxes..that will help a little.

Buying a new house is such fun!..once the money pain is over...

Snoozy..

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I'm getting back about $550. Federal, but had to pay $250. State.

Coffee

• musky
    musky

If you guys are smart enough to make money on investments now adays , well then my hat's off to ya. Don't worryy about giving some back to the government

• moshe
    moshe

We sold our home this year, I retired from my job early and I am planning to move back to Florida this summer. No state taxes in Florida on my pensions and my income will be just below the magic number for 3 deductions to avoid anymore Federal taxes , well until I turn 62 and my Social Security starts up. I believe the tax rates will have to go up quite a bit to pay for the big deficits.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Sigh. None of you are getting anything back, except your own money. If you're complaining about having to pay, get used to it. The governemnt is going to have to get the money from somewhere to pay for all these bailouts, health plans, education loans etc.

I wish everybody had to write one big check to Uncle Sugar every year. Then you'd know what you're really paying.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Oh good lord. Some of you people need to just grow the hell up.

• PEC
    PEC

I got money back, with $25000 worth of medical bills, I better get money back, my out-of-pocket was $5300.

Philip

• noni1974
    noni1974

I got 1200 dollars back. Last year when all of you had your check the government sent out for the first stimulus plan I got nothing. I got to claim that this year. I got EIC. It paid for a new laptop for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit