JW School K-12 I went

by outofservice 27 Replies latest jw friends

• babel on
    babel on

I was born into the "truth" and growing up in a small town in south carolina my parents thought it best that I attend a private school. Well this had its own problems as the bible belt private schools had a 30 minute bible discussion every morning. I cannot begin to tell you how embarassing it was to have to excuse myself from class and sit in the hall like a misbehaved hooligan. (that was a form of punishment in our school) anyhow after 7 years of this torture my mother thought it best to home school me as it was becoming all the rage at the time. The headquarters for this school was almost two hours away and we would meet and test for several days of the year. I thought it was very odd that the headmaster was a college graduate as this was looked on within the organization in such a negative light almost demonized. It was good enough for him but we were being encouraged that school itself was so bad that it would be better off if we avoided it altogether. A basic education was all that was needed for the pioneer work as was the proud goals for most of the brainwashed little morons that suffered this fate. Looking back now I feel cheated, cheated by a group of people that simply did not have any plans other than this make belive fantasy world that no one knew how it was going to be but hang on its right around the corner. Thank god that I found a non witness wife who led me to a warm loving relationship with Jesus Christ. At last I heard what I was missing sitting in the halls of that school so many years ago and I know why they didnt want me to hear it. When you learn that Jesus died for your sins and theres no amount of service you can or should do to repay only love him with your whole soul heart and mind and secondly love your neibor as yourself on this the entire law hangs, you cant subject followers to the type of mindless servitude and slave labor that the watchtower has. Looking back I see how evil that bunch truly is and I could care less if any of them ever talk to me again or not. If they think there punishing me somehow then good for them, they can keep that conditional love.........I have something far better,

Trey

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

There was a jw school for a short time in Redwood City, Ca, in the early 80's I think. My youngest brother went but I don't think he even completed a year there. He said it was a strange experience.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

There was/is one in Queens NYC. They were popular back in the day's when JW's had issues with the flag salute in the US.

• darthfader
    darthfader

I attended a “JW School” in the Los Angeles area back in the 70’s. My Dad (and most other witness parents) gave them a bunch of money to get it started. It worked for about 6 months until the Brother who formed it took off with the cash. The school closed – and I got to sit at home and watch re-runs of Gilligan’s Island for the rest of the school year. The next year, they started another school, which was mildly successful. Both schools were “odd” we had two types of kids there, the “goody-two-shoes” and the rejects. I’ll leave it to your imagination which camp I was in… Fortunately there was no brainwashing going on as there were no JW teachings preached, they even has non witness teachers. The secular education was bogus – Actually the whole thing was a grade school version of “Romper Room”. The following year, I begged my Dad not to send me back – So I went to “normal” public school. I am amazed that I didn’t get held back a year for that lack of education.

There is a “JW School” in Phoenix where my nieces go (I’m not sure of the name) and from what I understand that place is just as odd. My nieces get treated poorly because their Dad is DF’d (which is another reason we are fading). They might attend public school next year. It all comes down to extending the isolation from the “world”. By isolating the kids - there is this illusion of control/safety. If we let little Suzy attend public school, she’ll get pregnant and do drugs or worse… salute the flag…

Darth Fader..

• Quandry
    Quandry

In Daytona Beach in the early 80's they had the same type of School. It was called the Palm School, and many of the kids in the different Congs. went. The teachers were Bros. and Sisters from the congs. too.

Yes, a friend of mine was a "teacher" at the school. I know that she had no more than a high school education, had been out of school at least ten years, didn't have work experience except with her husband, who refinished furniture, had no children, hence no experience with them, and was prone to depresstion. How would she work up a curriculum and present, say, properties of matter? How about algebra? Chemistry?

I can only imagine that the schools were, as described, a "bit odd." I do recall that the Palm School did not last but a few years.

I remember that at the same time, homeschooling was popular. Part of the "curriculum" was going out in service. Basically, homeschool=no school.

I feel sorry for the kids that went through these schools due to the poor education that they received.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I'm so glad none of those existed when I was growning up in my area. Homeschooling was a big deal, and I was VERY fortunate in the fact that my father was "unable" (read too lazy) to work, and my mom had to work full-time, so I got sent to a public school. Almost everyone else in the hall was homeschooled, i.e. drug out in service every day. I know one of the homeschoolers was fired from a cashier job for not being able to make basic change, and I'm guessing the others aren't doing much better.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

There was one in the 80's - 90's in Los Angeles. Basically it was all of the JW kids who would get into too much troble at public schools, so they grouped them together at a "Witness School". And that's when the fun gegins. All they mahaged to do was put the worst behaving satudents together and then this created even more problems. Most of the kids who graduated had absolutley no social skills

• missme
    missme

I have never heard of these schools before and I am in my mid 40's. Graduating in the midwest in the early 80's, no one I knew home schooled yet. What the super zealous did was graduate early by going to summer school and taking required classes (only required-no art, business, acctg, ) in grades ahead of them. This got my girlfriend out a whole year ahead of me....wow. I was so grateful my parents never made me or suggested I do the same. I loved school and did as much as I could get away with to be normal and fit in.

MM

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I taught at the one in Orlando Fl for a couple of years. My daughter attended K-2 there. I taught 1st and 2nd grade and Art from K-12

Coffee

• outofservice
    outofservice

Thanks for the posts everyone. I was wondering if this was just a local thing, or if it was in other places. Sad to hear there are still some around.Poor kids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit