JW School K-12 I went

by outofservice 27 Replies latest jw friends

• outofservice
    outofservice

The JW Academy Post brought back my memories of going to a school run by JW's in the late 70's in Hollywood Fla. I went for 4 and 5 th grade. I t was quite odd and I do believe I have suppressed most of my memories of it. Has anybody else ever heard of such a thing ? The teachers and principal were all JW's. I don't know what happened to it or why I quit going.Anybody?

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I would keep those memories repressed too! ha ha. Seriously, (ashamed to admit this) I sought out one of these school for my one son many years ago. I was paranoid to send him to school with all those evil worldly 5 year olds. Anyway I gathered all the info by mail and then phoned the "sister" that ran it to ask her some basic questions, she was such a royal beatch that I never considered it again. I would be interested to hear more about your experiences there.

• outofservice
    outofservice

no more kool aid-

Good for your son you never enrolled him . I just rember it was very unstructured. Not a great education as you can imagine.Some of the teachers were quite odd. I belive my 4 th grade teacher claimed to be one of the annointed and she was crazy. I wonder if they still have schools like these around or do they just home school if they don't want them with the "world"?

• journey-on
    journey-on

I was raised a witness and never have I ever heard of such a school. Surely these schools were not supported nor affiliated with the organization, were they? It sounds like a bunch of homeschoolers collaborated and pooled their resources to start a private thing. I can't imagine the WTS putting their name on these schools.

• outofservice
    outofservice

Journey-

These were not WT schools. They were run by JW teachers and parents who got together and opened them to keep there kids out of the "world"

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Outa, that is so funny. It reminds me of an old Oprah I watched on the DVR the other day about the big Mormon compound out west and the little kids sitting around in their prairie dresses. Oprah asked the teacher if they teach that a man landed on the moon. She said we don't teach that it didn't happen, we just don't teach it all. That's kind of how I imagine a JW school. The popular thing to do in our area now among the JW's is this home schooling program that is done on the computer. It must be state funded or something because even the ones that are dirt poor have a computer for each kid. Apparently the school notifies parents if their children use the computer for anything other than school business. One friend of ours, whose daughter's were on stage for giving up their high school career to home school, were notified in the middle of the night that one of their little cherubs were looking at pee pees and woo woos on line. So much for protecting them from pee pees.

• outofservice
    outofservice

protecting them from pee pees to funny. Still waters run deep. I think the more they try to keep them from the "world" the more they run to it. I believe balance is the key. The JW's loved running there own school because there were no holidays, birthdays,evolution,sex ed. etc.....Raising kids in a bubble.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

In Daytona Beach in the early 80's they had the same type of School. It was called the Palm School, and many of the kids in the different Congs. went. The teachers were Bros. and Sisters from the congs. too.

I was already out of School by that time, so I was not part of it though.

• Athanasius
  • outofservice
    outofservice

cowboy-looks like you dodged the bullet for that special education

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit