No emotional highs/lows in jw lives

by rebel8 22 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I actually did have some emotional high's growing up as a Witness. I think a lot of it has to do with perception of events as important. So my first talk, my baptism, visiting Bethel, those were big deals that everyone around me made me feel were special. I was given gifts also when I reached spiritual milestones.

When I was even younger my family had parties for all the Witness kids in the congregation, about twice a year. They said it was better than birthdays, and I believed it. We had a great time.

Traveling to conventions, visiting Bethel, I really felt like I was having a great time. Yes, some of it was boring, but like when I went to the Gilead Graduation in NY I was thrilled. I dressed my best, so did everyone else. It was a major big deal to be invited.

Now that I look back, I have to say I did enjoy many things, I did have emotional highs. Those around me said those things are very important, so I believed it.

BF

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I hope that I don't hi-jack this thread, but I've been thinking about this very thing (celebrating holidays - and the lack thereof - by JWs) recently.

What I came to the conclusion of - was that these celebrations (at least here in the states) are opportunities to learn social skills - for youngsters - that they can use on into their adulthood.

Valentine's Day - in grade school - when I was a kiddo - they had the kids make (or buy) little Valentine's Day cards "Will you be mine" - and such - and exchange them. As a JW - no can do.

Thanksgiving - there are other social skill teaching activities - even if it's only family and relatives getting together for a common meal - and socializing.

Christmas - similar to Thanksgiving.

Father's Day - Mother's Day - etc. All are celebrations that help young ones develop social skills.

Is it just me - or have you noticed that adult JWs have a sense of humor that is very... adolescent(?). And - yes, I include myself in that remark - because when I was still a JW - I can look back and see that I had many of those awkward moments - as I lacked a semi-decent social skillset. (I've improved a bit since I left.)

Anyway... these are just my .02 worth on this subject.

Regards,

Jim TX

• rebel8
    rebel8

BonaFide, interesting.....jws tend to say their lifestyle/teachings are exactly the same across the globe, and yet look at the stark difference btwn your experiences and mine.

Jim_TX, I resemble that remark too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit