No emotional highs/lows in jw lives

by rebel8 22 Replies latest jw friends

• purpleplus
    purpleplus

Reniaa: You mentioned "apostates" putting a negative spin on things. The Society does too. I heard a talk by a member of the Governing Body that associated college with someone's development of obsessive compulsive disorder. Some mental illnesses tend to surface when people are in the prime of their lives, regardless of what they are doing. If I used that same line of thinking, I would tell everyone not to attend meetings because 2 sisters died in a car crash on their way to the hall. On a separate occasion an elderly sister tripped and fell at the hall and died from the resulting injuries. Both of these stories are true, but they were freak accidents, not the norm. Regarding holidays and more importantly gathering with family, we always have a good time together, no drunkards or molesters or any other "elements" to ruin the fun.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

the WTS is very practiced at worst case scenarios and Reniaa you are doing the same in your post. But I'm glad you and your daughter enjoyed your non witnesslike party.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Reniaa...........bazaar thread I just did a 'going to new school party' yesterday and had 3 witness families and kids there, as well as some ones from my daughters nursery it was a great party fun for the kids without all the birthday and christmas stuff but just as good for them, even better because all the kids were just the same and having fun...A bizarre thread?..Why? ..Because no one agree`s with you?

I am a 3rd generation witness..3rd generation Jehovah`s Witness?..It certainly took you long enough to admit it..Mary has been right about you all along..LOL!! ..................................and have always seen it depends on the parents many making sure their kids don't feel missed out. I never serve booze at my gatherings and always make sure theres plenty of good conversation and fun, I remember a good few events like in my childhood,.. I remember a few too..Very few..Standard Holidays and Celebrations make sure it happens on a regular basis.................my grandma didn't need any excuse to make a chocolate smartie cake for any gathering..Like a WBT$ Book Study?..LOL!!

Being away from witnesses give me a good taste of the alternative christmas parties and birthdays were again they are pretty much dictated by the parents. my niece whose dad had dubious mates used these holidays as excuses to get drunk,..Not everyone associates with chronic drunks..Some of the worst alchoholic`s I have met are active Jehovah`s Witness`s..Nice enough people,but the JW Cult really messed up thier lives................................ my niece got cigarette burned it was just before they got banned in public places in england and I was happy our government did that.Burns can be nasty..A childhood friend of mine was playing with Gas and Matches..1/4 of his body was seriously burned..His JW parents were to busy drinking to mind him properly..

I see at birthday parties one child.. Every child should have a special day just for them................getting overwhelmed with fuss..Kids get excited..So What?? ................. and at mine non-holiday gatherings I make sure they all have fun and my daughter just enjoyed being with her friends.Just as most parents do..

You can give your child the same without the tag of these pagan festivals..Thats what my JW mom used to say..And ..If you disagreed you would get a beating ..............although apostates would make you think differently..Most people agree Holidays and Celebrations are important ................all part of the negative spin where worse case scenario's are claimed as fact.They are a fact..You just ignored everyones post on this thread... Crazy 1.................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• rebel8
    rebel8

St Ann, I think there's something to it too. I'll bet the more we think about it we will find it to be true.

Weren't all these rules made under Rutherford? The more I read about him, I am wondering if these were all control techniques with a contrived doctrinal rationale slapped on top to cover up the real reasons. Isn't he the one who insisted they all do fs and report their time? I know Russel was a false prophet and cult leader but it seems Rutherford took it to the next level?

what your saying is very true, but isn't depression a "low?"

Yes-a low that is NOT ALLOWED.

As a teen I remember having some real giggling fits with my few friends, and being counseled for being too happy (with some sort of scriptural nonsense used as a reason).

The story re the jock....sad.

Darthfader.....someone wrote a book about the lack of grief once.....can't recall her name, it was available online at one time. very good explanation.

child learns how to reason at about 8-12 years of age

very interesting

reniaa, Here's a little fact about reality. You can't change other people's pasts just by saying the same exact thing didn't happen to you.

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Wow Renaii - you really did surround yourself with the most low life, irresponsible, drunks, smokers and adulters you could find while on your break from the JW's. That to me speaks more of your ability to choose friends and be responsible about who you hang around than the fact that everyone not a JW is a drunk, irresponsible, heathen.

My kids are grown but have never been burned or hurt in anyway at a birthday party, christmas pary or any other holiday celebration. Oh and we didn't get them drunk either

Who are the biggest drunks I've ever met in my life? My elder brothers, yea two of them. Hollier than thou, but always has a flask full of liquor in the jacket pocket and a cooler of beer in the back of the car. They drink and drive, drink and preach, drink and pray. Oh yeah those JW's are the best.

Get over your hollier than thou view of JW's already Renaii, it's really getting sickening for those of us who know better.

nj

• purpleplus
    purpleplus

Right on ex-nj-jw!!!!!!!

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

Rebel - I see from some of your other posts, that you must be a counselor of sorts? I loved your KH streaking post btw. lol

I have a shrink i love seeing when the occasion arises. She knows much more than me, but I respect her immensley for " coming down to my level" when it comes to questioning her. She has told me that she likes the fact that I make her think,

when she has a day of counselling that often is repetitous.

I just would like you to know, that in asking a question here and there, with regards some things you say, isn't me trying to be difficult; I would just like to understand better.

"Yes, a low that is NOT ALLOWED"

Once again i see where you coming from. BUT, the "lows" that one experiences often leads to depression...no? Why is not allowed?

lrkr

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I think lows are seen as reflecting badly on Jehovahs happy organisation and suggest that somehow the FDS are lacking in some respect particularly in the timely sprirtual food that they are supplying. Lows, especially in the past, were also seen as a weakness and as having a bad effect on the spirituality of others. Also depression is a valid medical reason for not sharing in the ministry and that must not happen.

But I think, in general, The WTS are suspicious of emotion because it represents something uncontrollable. A persons feelings are also very indivdual and closely tied to their identity as a person in their own right and separate from the borg.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Birds of a feather flock together.

If you surround yourself with drunk, low-life losers, that is exactley what you are. If you can't get to the root of your problems, you turn into a religious zealot idiot so god can keep you on the straight and narrow.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Lurkr,

I don't know why on Earth I used all caps for "not allowed". LOL. I was on my way out the door so I guess I didn't take time to edit and not "shout"!

I don't think you're being difficult. I enjoy debating and exchanging viewpoints.

Why are the lows not allowed? I think the real reason is it's a way to control people. They quote some scripture that I'm too lazy to look up right now, having to do with experiencing joy when serving Jehoho.

Quietlyleaving explained it well.

In my congregation anyone claiming to be depressed would be counseled by the elders for violating the command to be joyful. If you said you didn't enjoy doing field service, meetings, assemblies, anything.....you were violating the "be joyful" command. I remember someone being hospitalized for depression and she was DFd not too long afterwards. There were other reasons I think, but seemed to me the main issue was she got so much scorn for not being joyful.

Isn't this an excellent way to control people? No wonder they get emotionally numb and zombie-like. Don't think for yourself. Don't be too happy. Don't celebrate. Don't be sad either. Don't have a fulfilling career. The only thing you should do is mind-numbing repetitive tasks with no apparent purpose or measurable outcome.

PS--Your therapist is right. Counseling is very reptititious. When entering the field I thought it would be endlessly fascinating, but IRL you hear everything within the 1st year and then it's just repeated. One psychiatrist I used to work with said, "The patients should realize it's their responsibility to say or do something different once in a while so we don't get so bored." LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit