My thoughts on the memorial.....yea I did go

by Soledad 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Soledad
    Soledad

It was DULL. I could have sworn that I heard the same talk 20 years ago. Witnesses look tired, bored, lifeless. I hadn't been to a memorial in 11 years. There is still the same prancing from the young women usually seen on memorial night---new clothes, salon hair and nails. Too much drama for just a single hour of exposure, a single hour of chair-warming. But, I understand perfectly why.

I used to be like that many moons ago. This is the one time in the year that is somewhat eventful in the otherwise colorless life of a young JW woman. Sexy was in this year, I saw quite a few outfits that revealed shoulders, backs, cleavages, legs, and stilletos were the footwear of choice, all out for show. Shoot, there were some mamacitas! If I were a guy I'd make a move. There I was in my knit dress pants and faux cashmere duster. It's still chilly here in the evenings.

Not looking to make a point with wearing pants, just wanted to be comfy. Darn thing started later than I remember, at 8:30. I get up at 4:30 am everyday, so by 8:30 in the evening I'm usually in my jammies ready to call it a night.

Many non-witnesses where there, I could tell, but it was also obvious that these weren’t bible studies or "interested ones." These were clearly the relatives of other witnesses. Attendance: 164. I don't know how that stacks up to the average meeting attendance or to prior year's memorial at that same location. I remember when I used to go it was in a different city and there was a headcount of about 500-600, easily.

Talk made mention to how many anointed worldwide: over 9000. I remember this number used to be less? The speaker raised the question as to how the anointed know that they are anointed. He pointed to Romans 8:23, the first section. The point he made was that the anointed are so because they say so, (?????) and used this scripture to back it up. I had to smirk. Yous some slick mofos, I thought to myself. They think they are so smart by taking small snippets here and there of unrelated scriptures to prove a point. I thought to myself that the average witness would do himself or herself a great favor by just taking the entire book of Romans---which is my favorite book to read---reading it from start to finish, exactly as one should read it since it is a letter, without the weird cross referencing and pauses in the selection. It's so simple to understand the message. Especially chapter 13.

The speaker made clear pronouncements on remaining faithful and loyal (to whom? I think we know). Clear distinctions made between anointed and other sheep. Other sheep do not partake of emblems, period point blank. The speaker's tone was robotic and clannish. The members were too. Only a handful of people know me in this congregation, but hardly anyone spoke to me. Why the cold shoulder? What if I wanted to come back into the fold? (not that I want to of course). Not at all humble and Christ-like. It's clear that proselytizing is not working; it's basically dead.

I got of couple of sly looks when I used the bible to follow along in the readings, as if to say "she knows how to use that thing?" At some point during the evening an attendant stood right behind me, I was in the last row. I entertained thoughts, for sure, about eating the bread and drinking the wine. I'm not concerned about a reaction from anyone at all about this. I just said to myself when the time comes and if it feels right I would do what most feels natural. This is where I really pity the JWs, on both accords. They fail to realize that Jesus Christ wants all of us to remember him (do this in remembrance of me). We should all be in communion with the Lord, not just a select few. They also fail to follow their gut. Wow, I guess I've come really far from my JW days. I never would have said this 12 years ago.

I desisted from eating/drinking only because of the dullness of the whole event, not for any other reason. I want the pageantry of a mass or of a revival if I'm going to eat the body of Christ and drink the blood of the Christ........I believe his sacrifice merits that. This is not worth doing in JW land; I'll definitely take my business elsewhere.

The big question now: why go. My mother invited me. She invites me every year. My father was unsure of whether or not to go, but I guess he decided once he saw I was going. He never liked the JWs but he almost always goes to the memorial. He is fighting a brave but losing battle against renal cell carcinoma and he is nearly 83 years old (but hella feisty and will tend to his garden himself, thank you very much). This could be the last year that all 3 of us go somewhere together, get to be seen together. I decided let's make it an event, break up the routine a bit. We picked up a pizza afterwards and my dad nearly ate it all. He seemed very content. Worth it, I thought, as I watched him eat his slice.

This outing proved to me that I made the right choice by DAing, not that I needed any more proof. The watchtower's golden years are over, definitely gone. The sense of urgency is gone, empty shells of what used to be left in its place. It's nearly 100 years since 1914 (this generation will surely not pass.....) From the looks on the member's faces, they are obviously in denial, or mentally re-writing JW history.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Soledad,

"I desisted from eating/drinking only because of the dullness of the whole event, not for any other reason. I want the pageantry of a mass or of a revival if I'm going to eat the body of Christ and drink the blood of the Christ........I believe his sacrifice merits that. This is not worth doing in JW land; I'll definitely take my business elsewhere."

Excellent. I enjoyed your entire post as refreshingly honest, spot on, and especially the point quoted.

Thanks.

• megawatt
    megawatt

Great read, I must say.

This was my first year of not attending. And honestly, it was just another day to me. And over a year and half of not attending meetings, didn't stir up any emotion or sense of urgency.They did happen to stop by Saturday morning last weekend to drop off the invitation, and reluctanly accepted the tract and WT. You see, the sister was mentally hadicapped and couldn't find it in me to let her know my real feelings. What a sad sight. Not the 'special' sister, but the one who overshawdowed her, almost as if she was a "handler" of some sort. Using her as a tool to place magazines and invites, I could see through the B.S. Knowing them both briefly from when I attended, I knew dynamic duo was force to be reckoned with during saturday morning field service. Almost as if the "handler" purposely used her, to go door to door and it worked. More placement of wt mags and tracts, which people accepted by feeling sorry for the "special" sister.

I made sure to thank the "special" sister (felt bad, of course. She wouldn't comprehend. Hey, she's got an excuse), and made brief eye contact with her handler who was well aware that I was a little annoyed, and went right back inside, to throw away the waste of trees...

Once a year visit is a visit too much. The no tresspassing sign went up that afternoon...

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

hellooooo Soledad.

I don't know of you carry youself with as much grace as you write, but if you do, your extremely attractive. You summed up my experience of going last night, saving me a lot of typing. Thank you.

The sense of urgency is gone

From the looks on the member's faces, they are obviously in denial, or mentally re-writing JW history.

To echo Amazing's tune, that was spot on indeed.

I went to the Memorial last night too. I made MANY of the observations tht you yourself made. For the very first time in my life, I went to the memorial, to LISTEN. I figuratively shook my head in disbelief with the way it all went down. It was unsettling to see the lack of sincerity that so many unconciously displayed. The brother who took the wine glass from my hands, seemed like a really nice guy. I felt sorry for him when I passed the wine (i was sitting on the end) to him and he whispered "right on" and went to the next row. The sacredness was lost to him. I too made a point of looking up the 1 scripture mentioned, and inside myself I wanted to blurt out "Prove to me this is what it means!" ...When the bread went by, for the first time in my life I conciously thought " Could it really be true, that by NOT partaking and just " passing it on" Im actually REJECTING him?Ugh.

I came to many realizations about myself this night though, and for that I am extremely gratefull. The sisters did look nothing short of fantastic.In fact, fantastic is an understatement, they were downright beautiful. From infancy I grew up around those fine looking sisters, 3+ times a week, NO WONDER I was such a horndog. Growing up as a teenager, the younger girls in my hall, and i imagine EVERY hall, pushed the limits on revealing clothing...The Society always discouraged it, but it was never for the young ones and the lasting impressions it would leave on the 5 year olds... I JUST realized it last night, I wonder if it ever even crossed the mind of a GB member before.

My procrastinatory ways seemed to manifest themselves, in the same way as having to get ready for the meeting growing up. Just like every other meeting night, 6 oclock rolled around and I came to the realization that I had to get ready soon. Apathy overtook me like I was driving in the slow lane. 6:00, 6:15, 6:30...tick tock tick tock, "You have to get ready". The memory of my Moms voice cut through me like Gordon Ramseys chef knife, "Kids, time to get ready!". The same thoughts that had swirled around my head for DECADES, "I really don't want to do this" returned.

While I discount the WT, i have yet to fully discount JC, and THAT is the only reason i went. Respect given for the very first time in my life. Next year, perhaps i will demonsttrate more and take another step in the right direction.

The sense of urgency IS gone. Thanks so much for that. You put words to a feeling I have felt for a very very long time.

kind regards, lrkr

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Wow Soledad, excellent synopsis. If I were still Christian I would feel pretty much as you do.

Isaac

• Purza
    Purza

Thank you for your post Soledad. I generally read posts on my iPhone - which doesn't allow me to comment. It was very well written and I felt like I was there with you.

Purza

• oompa
    oompa

Thanks girl....worth it just to watch him eat his slice....i love that........oomps

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Thank you for sharing your experience Soledad, it was an entertaining read.

We spent a great day and evening as a family and didn't give the Memorial a second thought, not until we visited here of course!

Good to hear we didn't miss anything. What a sad charade and total waste of time the whole thing is. If only they knew......

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Very well written post. Keep up the good work.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Excellent post. Thank you for sharing.

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit