The Official What happened at the Memorial thread

by truthseeker 91 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

after wifey was done, I swung by and we went out for drinks. Martini's for me and chardoney for her. She made a few comments and we just went on with our lives

• StAnn
    StAnn

TD, love your story.

I've finally been out long enough that the Memorial comes and goes with nary a notice from me.

However, someone was complaining about how long the Memorial was. Well, I went to Good Friday services at noon and it lasted three hours. My friend went to a more traditional Catholic Church and her service took four hours.

And tomorrow night is the Easter Vigil. I usually take the kids in their pajamas and take along a pillow so they can go to sleep.

Reading all of those scriptures aloud takes a lot of time.

StAnn

• reniaa
    reniaa

I enjoyed the memorial, good songs on Jesus, interesting scriptures on firstfruits! stuff you never hear at church sacrements which always focus on what Jesus can do for you and not that a covenant is a two way deal.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

I had told the wife, my kids. siblings and my parents I wasn't going. Interestingly enough a work-mate told me to go. He said marriage is about compromise. So when I got home my 10 year old asked me to go and I couldn't say no. He said "Dad, I know you won't go to any more meetings but at least come to the memorial" What could I do? I went.

About the letter that was read- Interestingly the Governing Body mentioned the "disciples" when it should have said the "Apostles". It was a clear case of them twisting facts to guilt and shame the suckers who are buying into this crap.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I think my last memorial was 2003. Thanks for all who posted. It brings back fond memories. NOT!

I did have bread and wine Thursday evening. So, I guess I had my own little memorial.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

We had a fair number attend, less than last year. Speaker was so-so, you can't do much with that material. The one interesting part was when he spoke of the leaders planning to "crucify" Jesus. I thought that was a nice addition to otherwise threadbare material.

I agree with Lukewarm that the "announcement" read at the end was strange. Maybe it's the way it was handled locally. For the past several years, it seemed more like an "invitation" included by the speaker at the end of his talk. This year it was read afterward by the chairman and seemed almost threatening... that's a nice touch.

B the X

• StAnn
    StAnn

Reniaa, you've obviously never been to a Catholic Church. When we come in the doors, there is water there for us to dip our fingers into to remind us of our adoption by God in baptism. Then, we say the Lord's Prayer during the Mass, which reminds us that we must be forgiving of each other. (That's something we do for Jesus.) I've never heard a "sermon" given that didn't include ideas on how we can serve Our Lord and each other, and how serving each other is serving Our Lord. The closing statement at the end of every Mass is, "Go in peace to Love and Serve the Lord." Note that word "serve" there. We are reminded that, every day, we are to do everything (including our jobs and housework, etc.) to the Glory and Praise of God.

Of course, we have a loving God, not like the tyrant the JWs made up, so it's easy to want to do things for Him.

BTW, did you know that the definition of a sacrament is that it is a visible symbol of God's invisible presence? So I've never actually heard anything at a Church sacrament but I have partaken of them, such as when I take communion (we don't reject Jesus at our Church), when I was baptized, and when I was going in for surgery and my priest prayed over me for healing and for a safe, successful surgery. Visible signs of God's invisible presence. I'm glad there are sacraments in my church.

Too bad there aren't any in yours. No signs of God's presence there, that's for sure.

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

V - I just voted in your poll BUT I wish there had been one more option: I think this year the numbers will be over 10,000 and that next year they will stop reporting, because it will be just too embarrassing.

StAnn

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Why pass the "emblems" around at all?

Just say "if anyone wants to partake please come forward" end of story,

Save a lot of time and drama.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Moo, very valid point.

StAnn

Share this

Google+