The Official What happened at the Memorial thread

by truthseeker 91 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I thought rather than everyone start their own topic relating their experience of attending the Memorial, we keep it simple and have just one thread. If anything, it's saves bandwidth.

I will be going to the Memorial tonight and will post my experiences afterwards.

All the other Memorials I attended, I was an active JW, so this will be my first experience as a submarine witness. It's weird being on the other side so to speak. I always looked to see who came out of the woodwork at each Memorial and now I'm in the same position.

Weird.

• truthseeker
  • JeffT
    JeffT

Jeff's summation of the last memorial I went to (1988):

Prayer, talk this is a really really solemn celebration of the fact that Jehovah loves us so much he sent his son to die painfully on a stake so that if we do everything the WTBS tells us to and go out in field service enough we can live forever. Prayer, pass the bread, everybody looks at it. Prayer pass the wine. Everybody looks at it. Remember the end is coming every day now. Come to all the meetings go out in field service don't forget to turn in your time. Now clear the hall, the other congregation needs it.

• wobble
    wobble

Aw and I missed it Jeff,it sounds as though it was the usual scintillating (Not) stuff!

Dosn't it remind you of a Black Mass? deliberately doing everything wrong?

Love

Wobble.

• V
    V

I'll let you know...

www.watchtowercomments.com

Nibble and sip!

• passwordprotected
  • ziddina
    ziddina

AAoouuwww NO, Wobble! Black Masses (so my Wiccan High Priestess friend tells me...) are WAY MORE FUN!!

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

My hard core JW parents desperately want their five (now 4) apostate kids to go every year. The last two years none of us could stomach it. This year my sister and I decided to tell our parents we are going. We both live within blocks of a hall. My parents are ecstatic with joy. They are so excited you would think we were going straight to heaven tonight. Anyway I did not have the heart to tell them I am going to the Lilly Allen concert here in Denver tonight with my 17 and 18 year old daughters and my sister will definately be in bed with her memorial wine by 7:30 P.M. I hate lying but it sure has made two old people very happy!!!

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Well, it's over, at last - and what I consider to be our last ever Memorial.

Some of you may know that I have been inactive for almost a year. Almost all of the congregation elders ignored me when I was still going, they would walk right pass me if they could. Since we have been out no one has made any real effort to help us.

I was somewhat nervous about going.

When I got there, the parking lot was fairly full. The congregation rent a hall for the Memorial.

When I entered the main hall, a so-called friend saw me, came up to me and asked me how I was doing. He wanted my phone number which he already had. I couldn't believe it - he hasn't made any effort to contact me for a year and suddenly it's like nothing had changed.

I called these video game moments, you know, when you need to pause the game to go take a leak or get a drink and then you come back and the game resumes where you left off.

There were a few of these moments when brothers and sisters would come up to me, act as if nothing had changed, say a quick hello and then leave as quickly as they came.

Some of the elders who ignored me when I used to go the hall said what could be thought of as a militant hello and then looked away.

Another brother who I used to be on friendly terms with avoided me - we made eye contact twice and he never bothered to say hello, yet after the Memorial his wife came up to me, said hi and then left.

I tell you it's weird behavior. I felt terribly awkward.

The only elder in the congregation who always made an effort with me came up and we started talking. He asked me what congregation I was going to now and I told him straight, I said "you know we don't go to any meetings and we're inactive."

He told me, "I had heard something like that but I don't listen to second hand information" to which I said "you're an elder and the elders know I am inactive"

I told him one of the reasons I left the congregation was because so many people are fake and it seems as if they wearing Jim Carey masks. He listened and then said it was good I showed respect for Christ' arrangement by being here tonight, but that it is a command that we attend meetings. We left on good terms.

The talk itself was dull, the speaker used a lot of modern day recession examples, to illustrate why we celebrate the Memorial, why we have two groups of people and why some partake and some don't. Same stuff I've heard before, nothing new.

I'm so glad it's all over.

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

I went to a memorial service at a Christian church.

Didn't have to shop for special clothes $$$, paid the appliance repair man cash no credit.

Wasted no time shopping all over trying to find apropriate outfits for teens, I am rested and had a home cooked meal.

My being able to accept Christ's sacrifice and partaking of the emblems, so much more than an "undeserved kindness".

Blithe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit