The Official What happened at the Memorial thread

by truthseeker 91 Replies latest jw friends

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I had my head buried in my Bible (not the NWT) reading extracts of Galatians and Romans where Paul develops the argument that our faith in Jesus justifies us 'for life' and makes us adopted children of God. I needed to drown out the speaker's disjointed, knight-jump reasonings (it's not his fault - he was only spouting what's been fed him by the org.). And when the emblems were passed round, I thought, "Lord, please forgive us. We know not what we do." Came home irritated. There was some flatbread and wine waiting for us at home to finish the evening properly. But it would have been more spiritually satisfying to be able to share communion with other Christians.

And I also find it amusing that V attended

• viva
    viva

Didn't go for the first time in my life. Went out and had a few beers with my friends. Much less stressful.

• ninja
    ninja

wobble wrote it's almost like a black mass.......I think it's so boring it's a beige mass

• ?me?
    ?me?

we went (have no plans to stop going to any of the meetings) our attendence was about 130- which is about 30 more than regular. But i think that included just ALL the people assigned to our hall, and a few unbelieving mates/kids a few other witnesses from other halls that came to ours, and maybe 10 at the most "studies". not really much interest in our territory from what i can tell.

had more fun going out to eat with the PO afterward for some martini's and apps. i think the elders are the only ones who really treat the memorial as a BIG DEAL. i tell you one thing, the talk was BORRRRRRRRRING, at least they did not hire in a speaker this year to try to make it a big deal, the past few years when we combined for the memorial they found a bethel speaker to come in (probably so they would not have to fight over which cong gets to have their elder give the talk) and it has been terrible.

on another note. the spanish congs continue to shine in our area. i heard at least one of them had a pretty good turnout

me

• seeking help
    seeking help

went with wife. me UBM. same old crap. speaker twisted scripture like Uri Gellar. boring as hell. out of like 12 elders, 3 say hello to me. what loving bunch of a@@holes. wife said talk was really long and not that great. i agree, feel a set up coming on, so as usual i let it slide. the whole thing sucked. when the speaker mention 9900 partakers, i say to wife" i thought the # was lower than that" no response. wife was a little put out that no one asked us to join them for dinner. i couldn't have been happier, nothing worse than spending time with them. attendance seemed a little low to me and my wife. although the room was really big. 1/3 of seats were empty.

• ninja
    ninja

if they didn't have the society tell them the date......99.9% of the people wouldn't have a clue when to celebrate it.......

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Our "big event" was pretty uneventful. We had 190 (average 120 on Sunday). Shockingly, no one came because of the tract campaign (ok, not shocked!)

No partakers as usual. There were a couple of studies but most of the non-dubs were kids of family that faded. There were a couple of guys that were sporting a golf shirt, jeans & sneakers. They look much more comfortable than me in my suit! I don't really know them but I was told they grew up in the hall - so I took their attire as a statement that they really just came to make their mom happy.

Attendance was down quite a bit - likely due to having the late shift. There looked to be about 20 or so open seats - no standing! Talk has already been summarized pretty well. I also cracked up at the mention of the almost 10k partakers vs 17m attenders. No mention of the increase.

I did help a few older folks get to their seats so at least I got to imitate Jesus a little.

• ninja
    ninja

hey doubting bro....you should have imitated Judas and stole the old ladies purses....he he

• sir82
    sir82

We had a partaker! First time ever, or for a long time anyway, at least in my congregation.

It was some older lady (but not ancient) - nobody knew who she was. I'm quite sure she was interrogated, er, lovingly questioned afterward, but there hasn't been enough time for the info to filter through the grapevine yet.

I just had to wonder - was she some sort of "stealth apostate" just randomly showing up to try to skew the Society's numbers? Or did she really consider herself an "anointed JW"?

Anyway, it will be most interesting to see next year's anointed count - I'm betting it blows right past 10,000 into the 11,000 range.

• oompa
    oompa

Password and others....Jesus said "I am the bread of life...and then :

(John

Jesus did not say "you" so there is no way this can be only to the apostles........anyone is anyone.......course if think it is all mumbo-jumbo anyway....but it may be good for making a point.....

6:49-51) . . .. 50 This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that anyone may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven; if anyone eats of this bread he will live forever; and, for a fact, the bread that I shall give is my flesh in behalf of the life of the world."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit