Hey, whats wrong with Smurfs???

by Albert Einstein 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

I was baptized in early 90s and live in eastern Europe.

From your comments I noticed, that some time in the past JWs had a problem with Smurfs... like being afraid of or avoiding ... I never heard anything about that in my DUB life...

So is there some story behind that? Did you play with Smurfs as kids? Watched movies???

I wonder...

Albert

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Just another example of jw superstitions

http://www.shanmonster.com/rants/rant53.html

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Honestly I never heard about it either. I gathered it was more of an 80's thing that I didn't know more.

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Mrs. Jones Thanks for the experience from th link you sent! I love especially This part:

They took their young child and his stuffed Smurf toy (to KH). At some point during the meeting, the Smurf doll apparently got up, said, "I've had enough of this shit!", and walked out of the Kingdom Hall.

Till now I thought Iam an apostate, but now I understand - In fact Iam a Smurf!!!

LOL

Albert

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

My children used to love watching the moomins. Then we had all that kerfuffle about the smurfs and I have to tell you guys I forebade it. I remember my sons face when I said no. He'd come home from school throw off his coat and settle himself in front of the telly to watch it with my daughter. It was a favourite. They were crestfallen.. I did wrestle with myself about what could possible be wrong with it as it seemed to be like fairry tale characters. I decided to stick to Harry and his adventures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moomin

Image:Moomin kuva.JPG

Make it bigger

• Apostapler
    Apostapler

I had never heard about this until I was 10 years out of the org. Must have passed my dub family by somehow.

Also, hello everyone!

• maryacclaim
    maryacclaim

Yeah, this was very much the case when I was growing up. It was in the eighties and let me tell you, everyone I knew in California was talking about it. I would speak to people that would say they were at the Hall where the Smurf was cruising down the aisle. I was not allowed to watch the cartoon because people would comment at the meeting about shows that were bad and would mention the Smurfs. So I was unable to watch the incredible Smurfs. I got totally screwed!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Like Maryacclaim says, Smurfs were bad, demonised. Even in Australia the urban myth circulated the congregations about the smurf that walked down the aisle at a kingdom hall. But still, a few of my dubbie friends had smurfs, so it not a WTS directive, just one of those crazy circulating rumours.

• homeschool
    homeschool

I was absolutely not allowed to watch the Smurfs because of those rumors. Its so funny looking back and hearing that story of the child who brought the smurf to the KH and it got demonized and walked out. Craziness.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually I never heard anything about it either until there was a talk at the district convention saying that there was nothing true about the rumors about Smurfs getting up and running out of a KH and talking and that these stories needed to stop.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit