Hey, whats wrong with Smurfs???

by Albert Einstein 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Nellie
    Nellie

I wish the issue was only with the smurfs. Basically, the WT frowns on anything of a mystical nature. Papa Smurf was a wizard - end of story. I used collect them (before the hoopla) and I even had a wind-up Smurf. I can't tell you how much self control it took for me not to bring it to the hall and make it walk down the aisle. It would've been hysterical - but I was too chicken to do it.

Witness children aren't usually allowed to watch - Wizard of Oz, Snow White, Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Harry Potter, Power Rangers, and the like.

• the research lady
  • blondie
    blondie

But it is not consistent from congregation to congregation re movies that are acceptable or not. I have been in congregations where Disney movies are categorically approved, where the Lord of the Rings were acceptable but not Harry Potter. The WTS leaves it open that way. That is why one congregation here forbids more than 2 ear piercings per ear on sisters and another restricts it to only one per ear. Now that created a big hoodoo.

Blondie

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Back in the eighties I knew a JW sister who had Smurf tennis shoes. After hearing the rumors, she decided to burn them. It was too bad, too. She was a poor, single mother who didn't have that many pairs of shoes and little money to buy new ones. She really shouldn't have burned them.

About that same time there were rumors about Proctor and Gamble being a satanic corporation. Their corporate logo was said to be evidence. Many JWs I knew were refusing to buy any P & G products. Of course, that was later proven to be false information too.

It seems to me that some groups of people are predisposed to accept these kinds of rumors when they come around. The JWs are one of them.

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

I heard the Smurf story as a kid too, back in the early 80's. Toy Smurf gets up in the middle of a meeting, grumbles something about how he can't smurfing stand any more of this smurfing smurf, and walks out of the hall.

My parents thought the whole thing was ridiculous and never banned me from having toy smufs, even after an "anointed" sister wouldn't allow one of my Smurf colouring-in books into her house when we visited her family one time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit