My Wife Is Coming Home!!

by Yizuman 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Well, it's been 11 months since the whole thing started and I am ecstatic that she will finally be coming home.

It's somewhere between 2 weeks to a month before she comes home.

So first thing we need some stuff....

We had a social worker come to our house and looked around as to what we got here in the house.

We need a medical bed, one that elevates from the back, since she can't lay flat anymore like she used to due to the fact she now has a history of respiratory problems due to collapsed lungs last year. The mattress needs to be extra thick since she's a paraplegic (no legs) and it would hurt her tailbone if the mattress is too thin to support her weight (or gravity for that matter), so shifting her position is somewhat difficult for her if she starts feeling uncomfortable. And let's not forget rails, she'll need that if she needs to move. Let's hope it's something medicare/medicaid can cover it.

She needs a BP machine, especially for every dialysis as she does have a tendency to have a sudden drop in her blood pressure and her heart starts defibbing, so I need to keep an eye on it. She had one 4 months or so ago several hours AFTER she had been dialysised, so it doesn't happen right away.

Diapers, we don't know of medicare/medicaid can cover diapers and that's a bit of a worry for me. They're expensive! Especially in adult sizes. I guess some old fashion cloth diapers will have to do, but they're sure stinky on it's way to the laundry room *holds nose*.

Other problem areas outside the home....

Making sure she has transportation from home to the renal center and back again.

Medications, I have a CVS insurance card, medicare and medicaid and the meds are paid for in 3 months in advance (meaning a 3 month supply, some restrictions apply), but still have to pay co-pay in some percentage, hope I can afford to purchase these meds.

My job has been cut to two days a week (boss saving on labor) so I am making 20 hours a week (10 hr days). My wife gets her SSD checks for $651.00 a month. So I am worried about meds, food and making sure all of my bills are paid. It's tuff finding another part time job or even a new full time one since no one is hiring, at least from around these parts.

Oh, I am told by the social worker that since her electric wheelchair is over 5 years old, she can qualify to get a new one from Medicare, so she'll help us submit a request for a new one. Problem with these chairs is the bolts that holds the armrest is part aluminum and part steel. Put too much weight on the armrests and they snap like a twig. Very annoying. So if and when we get a new chair, those bolts needs to be replaced with a pure steel bolts. (right now she's using her manual wheelchair at the nursing facility).

We're also gonna be working on a in-home visiting nurse to come and check on her every so often, especially when I am asleep or at work.

I need a remote thingy for my wife to use as a call button. My friend sent me this link that would work....

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=936441&Ntt=936441&catalogId=11601&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=112874%204294965307&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Then I need a strobe light to plug it in with it.

As you know I am deaf, so I need something to catch my attention if my wife needs me right away. Problem is getting the money together for it. Anyway, the strobe light would be perfect to wake me up in my bedroom (since we're gonna sleep seperately on account of her medical bed, so I am moving into my step daughter's former bedroom), all she has to do is press a button and my ass is outta bed to see what she needs. (hopefully NOT to go to a hospital, but it could happen)

I guess that's all we're gonna need before she comes home. Wish us luck!

Yiz

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You give 'luck' a new meaning, Yiz.

I wish I lived next door so that I could help out now and again.

Cheers

Chris

• Newborn
    Newborn

Yizuman, you are my hero!!!

Best of luck with everything. Keep us updated.

/Newborn

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Best wishes for you and your wife.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

All the best to you both Yizuman.

Make sure you get all the help you can both financially and practical - remember that sometimes it is found in unexpected places.

• yesidid
    yesidid

There are husbands.

There are great husbands.

There are really great husbands.

You, my friend, are a really, really great husband.

yesidid

• noni1974
    noni1974

I wish you both luck. I'm pulling for you!!!

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Wow you have so much on your plate, but it sound like you have thought of everything. Hope all goes well.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I am so happy for you both! How long have you been married? What a guy she got, huh?

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

congratulations -you truly inspire me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit