How Far Back Does Your Memory Go?

by snowbird 89 Replies latest jw experiences

• R.F.
    R.F.

The actual earliest memory for me is after my brother was born and I saw him for the first time. I was 22 months old then.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Leo, thanks for that; it was fascinating.

I suppose my memory of my mother's giving birth is so vivid because of the commotion surrounding it.

I remember seeing water puddling around her feet, my brothers running to fetch the midwife, and someone starting a fire underneath the big pot we kept outside.

I remember being terrified that something bad was happening to my mother, and the midwife forcibly pulling me away from the door when I tried to look in to see what was happening.

Later on when I told my mother about it, she was astounded at my recollection.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hi! R.F.

I've talked with several people about their earliest memories, and they usually recount the birth of a sibling as one of them.

Hmmm ...

Sylvia

• oompa
    oompa

my oldest memory is 4-5 of when i chased down a green snake in the woods and it wrapped itself around my arm as i held it.....i have a really terrible memory...esp of things before i was 12!!!..........oompa

• John Doe
    John Doe

I can remember having dreams where I could hear/feel a strong thumping and could see a red tint on everything. Sometimes I've wondered if this was from being in the womb. I can't tell you a specific age of my earliest memory, but it goes way back.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I've jsut realised that in five and a half years my mum had had 4 children. I clearly remember my sister being born when I was 3 and a half. I remember playing with my brother before that though but don't remember anything at all about my sister who is a year younger than me.

• snowbird
    snowbird

This is good stuff, people.

Please continue.

Sylvia

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I have a few old memories. One was as a newborn. I was in the doctors office and weighed on a cold metal scale. Then I recall great pain, but the memory was very vague. For years I thought it was a needle. When I asked my mom about it a few years ago she was astonished that I remembered the incident. She said it wasn't a needle, but that the doctor broke my foreskin against her wishes. She wasn't in the room, but rushed in and blew a fuse at him when she heard my scream.

I also remember being abused by 2 women when I was still in my crib. I'm not sure about my age, because my parents were too cheap to buy me a real bed until I was 4. After the women were done with me they got on my parents bed and had sex. I think one of them was a woman who rented an upstairs room from us. She sometimes babysitted me and my sister.

My parents finally bought me a real bed when my crib tipped and crashed sideways to the floor as I was climbing out.

I also recall an incident when I was in my playpen in the kitchen. I learned how to move the playpen across the floor by shaking it. I shook it until I got close to the kitchen table. I pulled on the tablecloth until all the dirty dishes, milk, juice, and other stuff crashed to the floor.

heh heh. Finally I was beginning to get some payback.

W

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I can remember having dreams where I could hear/feel a strong thumping and could see a red tint on everything. Sometimes I've wondered if this was from being in the womb. I can't tell you a specific age of my earliest memory, but it goes way back.

JD I think we do remember being in the womb but mostly unconsciously

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

10 months old.

Some people, especially in my family do not believe me. But i remember a photograph being taken with me holding an orange, i remember the orange being given to me by one of my aunties and being told to stand there. I remember wobbling.

My nan says the photo was taken by another aunty so i couldn't have remembered it, but the orange was definately not given to me by this particualr aunt.

I also have other memories of that sort of age, being on a bus ride to one of mother's friends. They had a black mgb, which i remember well, they worked out that i must have been just about 1 when they had it.

My memory is good from the age of 2. We lived in a flat until i was 2 and half and i remember it well. I also remember being picked up by my uncle to see my brother through a window when he was born, there is 2 and a half years between us.

Apparently i was an intelligent child but then mother became a jw.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit