How do you get rid of mice in the walls?

by rebel8 37 Replies latest jw friends

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I agree with Musky. I live in the bush and peanut butter is irresistable to mice and rats.

They go nuts(ha ha) over it!!

• Spook
    Spook

I'd recommend a three prong approach...

1. If you know they can get into the house from the walls (have a way out), then focus on sealing up your outside. Make sure everything is caulked and all large penetrations have screens over them.

2. Then rely on your cats to get the mice as they come out for food.

Beyond that, there is no way to kill them without it stinking up the house. In general, sealing up the house and making sure there is no food available will discourage the varmints.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Extreme measures:

• Twitch
    Twitch

Get a snake,...

• compound complex
    compound complex

Just cleaned out the filthy basement at my new place. Found a dessicated rat in the Youngstown Kitchen Sink cabinet. Faeces galore ...

CoCo Smells a Rat

Consider whether it is worthwhile to take up the fight with a large rat community.

After the untimely death of quite a few of them in the rarely-used cellar, it was discovered that they had transferred most of their activity onto the staircase, the surroundings of the garbage containers and the bicycle shed - places where they caused a much bigger problem than before.
    Avoid direct confrontation. When attacked, rats can actually decide to defend themselves by biting which can be harmful and dangerous given the diseases they transmit.

The best way to temporarily clear a place of rats - for instance, say a shed needs to be cleared out - is by making a noise. Good results have been obtained by playing British punk rock music on a cassette player at maximum volume. Wagner might also do an equally good job. If money is no object, there are devices on the market which emit high-pitched sounds that are apparently unbearable to rats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A418592

• StAnn
    StAnn

Sorry, Rebel8, I didn't realize the emoticon you used in your initial post was a cat. It looked like one of those drama/comedy masks to me.

I really, really need glasses.

I had two cats, one was a good mouser and one was a lazy bum. The lazy bum got hit by a car (I loved that cat, cried my eyes out) and the mouser is all I have left. So I let him stay inside a good deal more than I used to, afraid he'll get hit by a car. My point is that, since cats are rather nocturnal, I put his food away at night so that he'll eat a mouse if it comes out. I put his food back out in the a.m. Also, mice like dog and cat food, another reason to put it away.

So he's essentially a house cat but is still a good mouser. But he needs to be a wee bit hungry to make the effort. And he's very healthy, so I'm not starving him.

Best of luck.

StAnn

• inkling
  • cameo-d
    cameo-d

Isn't it dangerous to breathe in areas where there is rat poop?

Do rats carry hanta virus...or someting like that?

Can't you get a lot of dangerous dieseases from them?

Will your cat get sick if he eats rats?

Blah. I think I am going to be sick now.

SUbject makes me queasy.

• John Doe
    John Doe

When I was a kid we had a big orange tom cat named Garfield. Great cat--he would go in the feed room of the barn and swallow small mice whole without chewing.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Burn down your house!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit