My mom- and Hi! I am new here.

by RaraAvis 24 Replies latest jw friends

• RaraAvis
    RaraAvis

Hi everyone,

I have been reading this site for a while now but have never posted. I am an ex-pioneer, who left the organization 15 years ago. I served as a need-greater in a foreign country and when I came back I walked away. I was born in and it took a long time to feel okay and actually feel "normal" for lack of a better word.

My mother is still very active, a reg pioneer and today I helped her move. I felt an intense amount of sadness when I helped her pack away her old books and her old bound volumes, and her years of collecting this stuff. She has had it forever and it just hit me how this is her life. Her and her witness friends are just dying to live. Wasting precious years of life, in hope of the reward of life. It is sickening. So there they were, pages and pages of mind-forming, brainwashing literature. I asked her why she hasn't thrown it out, since all the stuff is mostly on discs now. But it is sacrilegious I guess.

sad.

RA

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Dying to live. Now that's a fitting description of JW's. Welcome RaraAvis.

Isaac

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

Hi and welcome!

I also share that experience of having a mother that is completely and totally absorbed with the society and has devoted her whole life and soul to the org. I have come to the conclusion that if she really would find out the truth about the truth, she couldn't handle it. I almost think it would kill her really, and that is no exaggeration, considering how emotionally tied she is to the org and how her whole identity revolves around it. I feel that sadness too, but at a lost as to what to do about it.

But, I'm glad to see so many new ones. This board provides a myriad of supportive suggestions and experiences from many in similar situations. Look forward to seeing more of your posts!

• XxJazzxX
    XxJazzxX

Welcome RaraAvis

I may not be an ex-JW of anyway, but I am married to a D/Fed JW. My wife has been DFed for 3-4 years for something she has done before she met me. Still seeking reinstatement til this day and her plea is falling on deaf ears of the so-called brothers.

Sooner or later, she will realize the WT isnt as what she thinks for all these years as I'm constantly jogging her brain to think.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Welcome! Another one with a brainwashed mother. And siblings, and my dad isn't much better. Learn to accept it, there's nothing we can do about them.

StAnn

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hello and welcome, Rara!

I agree with TruthSetsOne... the term "dying to live" is really poignant and unsettling.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Hi RA,

It is painful to finally get away from the from the brain washing only to look at our family and see that they are still so controlled by all the silliness. Totting around those ridiculous old bound volumes boxes and boxes of them. The funny thing is that when it is put on CD some of the articles have been changed just like was done in the book by HG Wells book "1984". Those magazines printed up so many years ago are far more valuable to finding out the truth of what has really been taught. Those who have done research comparing the new CD's with the actual magazines and older publications have seen the changes. Interesting, encourage her to sell them on Ebay, I've bought some off there just so I could do research and she might make a few bucks for them and they won't be thrown away. The older books too are usually sold easily on ebay. You can donate them to Randy Watters (I think) so they can be used by researchers. He sells some of the older publications for those who are looking for them.

Hang on, finding life so fresh and new outside the cage you were raised in is great for you. Your precious Mom may never be able to leave the cage that has held her so trapped for so long. All you can do is love her and encourage her to find hobbies she loves doing, and outside interests. Just anything that is not JW related that she can fall in love with, gardening, genealogy, knitting, crocheting, sewing, anything. Your love and affection will do a lot to keep the cage door open inviting conversation when she is ready to explore whether this religion is anymore true than another.

I'm a Mom, I left first then in time I was able to get my two sons out of the JW's. I didn't push it I just took it slow at the pace they could tolerate to introduce information to them.

Ruth

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome. My mom's tied heart and soul to this cult too....sigh.

• crazycate
    crazycate

Weldome! Many of us have family whom we would love to see wake up. In the meantime, this is a good place to heal.

Cate

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Hi RaraAvis

I have family in too.

ql

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit