The "Marital Due"

by Lady Lee 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I wasn't sure whether to put this in Scandals or Beliefs and Practices. It could easily go in either.

This topic has been discussed plenty of times. It seems to me that this is a much bigger problem in the JWs than most people realize. And the whole idea of the "marital due" can so easily be used by an abusive husband to his advantage.

I wrote a few words a while back. It is in the form of a poem but please feel free to use it as a jumping off spot for discussion.

Marital due

A man stands before his wife

A Bible in his hand

Quoting scripture

To make her see

She has a duty to perform.

A woman sits before a man

Submission is her place

Lie back

And pray to God

While duty is performed

A woman lies alone

As the man then walks away

He got his due

She feels alone

Abandoned by her God

Used to satisfy

Her husband’s marital due

No caring for her needs

He believes it is

His right by God.

June 2003 Lee Marsh

It was really hard to see sex as an act of love when it was an obligation to perform

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

More power over his wife and family , the social morals of the ancients were so loving, caring and responsible weren't they ?

Woman were always seen as second class observant and obedient slaves to their husbands back in those days ,

hell they weren't even allowed to worship in the temples.

• tympan
    tympan

22 January 2009

Muslim cleric tells Australians: 'Husbands should be allowed to rape and beat their wives'

A Muslim cleric has sparked outrage by telling his followers it is acceptable to rape and beat their wives.

Samir Abu Hamza, who runs an Islamic centre in Melbourne, ridiculed Australian laws banning forced sex within marriage.

Hamza told a male audience in Sydney: 'Amazing, how can a person rape his wife?'

He added that wives must immediately respond to their husbands' sexual demands.

The firebrand preacher also said a man was entitled to use 'limited force' as a last resort to punish a disobedient wife.

He explained: 'After you have advised them for a long, long time, then you smack them, you beat them and - please brothers, calm down - the beating that the Muhammad showed is like the toothbrush that you use to brush your teeth.'

'You are not allowed to bruise them; you are not allowed to make them bleed,' he added in a video of the 2003 lecture in Sydney recently posted online.

'You don't go and grab a broomstick and say that is what Allah has said.'

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1126556/Muslim-cleric-tells-Australians-Husbands-allowed-rape-beat-wives.html)

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It is a very archaic, stereotypical view of sex; that it is for the pleasure of the man and an obligation for the women.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

tynpan

that article is just sickening. Sadly far too many men in this world from all beliefs believe it.

Is there a saying that women should "lie back and think of your country"

Makes me wonder about all those women through the centuries who had to have children so that a Savior could be born

• tympan
    tympan

Yes Lady Lee it's sickening alright.

This low life cleric was widely and roundly condemned for his disgusting comments here in Australia.

I believe the phrase is "Lie back and think of England".

It's a Victorian expression and was used as sex education by English establishment mothers to their daughters.

• ninja
    ninja

I can relate to this....my wife uses me as a sexual plaything whenever she catches me......which is usually quite often

• oompa
    oompa

I had a totally hot bible study that came into da troof....and her husband almost did...he had mental and severe depression issues.....she was only about ten years younger than me if that.....and believe me......when she put her hand high on my thigh one night on my deck...late and alone...and told me she was lucky if she got it three times a year...and leaned towards me.......then i really realised i had become a damm good dub/husband!!!!..........superbowl party btw.......and hey that was my first wife too.......oompa

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I went without for years and never demanded the "marital due". I can't speak for others, but for me there's no greater turn off than someone who acts like she's doing me a favour.

W

• parakeet
    parakeet

"The firebrand preacher also said a man was entitled to use 'limited force' as a last resort to punish a disobedient wife..... you smack them, you beat them and ..... the beating that the Muhammad showed is like the toothbrush that you use to brush your teeth ......'You are not allowed to bruise them; you are not allowed to make them bleed....."

Did this man of God explain how one can beat and rape a woman without making her bruise or bleed? Or is that secret knowledge that only Muslim men and people who are torture experts would have?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit