JW’s & Atheists - Great (Cultic) Minds Think Alike

by Perry 141 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

Calling, what I consider freedom, 'slavery' is just another example how people like you think they know everything.

Mastodon,

Enlighten me then. You could of course simply tell me how you know right from wrong. Then we could analyze it out in the open.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Perry

Again, to reiterate, there are no atheists who will say "God doesn't exist", upon a proper introduction and sharing of names.

I don't want to get into Nicolou's response, (which I think you insufficiently addressed) but I would like to talk a bit about the authors you quote and their view of their statements.

David Deutsch is a quantam physist, best known for his book "The Fabric of Reality". I do not mean to quantify his views, other then to say that a list of the table of contents of that book would seem to suggest that he is in no way commenting, or interested in commenting on god, and the possibility of her existence. Or maybe his opening statements from that book would put in context what you have clearly taken out of context. If that doesn't do it for you, how about this preface to this book ?

But this is a direct quote from his blog..... (2nd entry down....) I will post it below directly, and leave off Perry by saying that with all respect, I have to call bullshit when I see it. Perhaps you should avoid the JW habit of mis quoting scientists out of context to prop up your questionable theories.....

"Where Things Come FromI came across this picture , of a demonstrator carrying a placard with a knock-down argument for the existence of God. Hmm. I guess it's easy to believe God-based explanations if you don't think about where God came from.

"

Saturday, 2008/05/10 - 17:34 BST

• Twitch
    Twitch

The question of the odds and such musings,....

An argument commonly used by theists for the existence of god is that the odds are astronomical that life spontaneously started on it's own. I propose that we leave the messy word "evidence" out of the picture for the moment.

First, as was said earlier, saying something ("A") can't exist because it's unlikely is logically invalid. does not compute. error. system failure. ;)

Second, the argument of probablity doesn't prove the existence of god. Saying B exists because A is unlikely is again, logically false. I mean, if you're gonna use reason, play by the rules ;)

Now if the theist camp has proof that life didn't spontaneously happen, well that would be different.

If the odds are astronomical, well, we are talking about astronomical numbers when it comes to the universe. Appealing to one's sense of scale ain't fair, lol. It stands to reason that a fair calculation of the numbers is required however this seems unlikely until more field work is completed :)

In the gazillion dime example earlier, sure the odds of picking the red dime are pretty long but nobody's asking where exactly life started in the universe. Just because you didn't win the lotto doesn't mean a winning ticket wasn't printed. Whether or not the actual probablity is correct is secondary; the argument states that it would take a gazillion dimes. The question should be; if it takes a gazillion dimes before the chance that you get a red one is plausible, are those odds similar to the real world numbers in the universe? And not just based on what we see or know of today, which is the past, but also all the possible worlds that existed or may now exist in galaxies we see as they were a billion years ago. But I digress,...

I dunno; seems like a lame argument to me

PS Pennies, dimes, it's all semantics,...;)

• John Doe
    John Doe

I think you all are feeding this poor dolt's delusions and giving his asinine statments more respect than they deserve. He's obviously more than a little nutzo.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Yea, but it's fun

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Perry, I already answered your question. It's in the post you just quoted, assuming that you know what reason and common sense are. But to make it easier for you... my life is not up to debate or analysis by you or any other person, real or imaginary. If you need a book to tell you how to live, or be a decent person or the difference between good or bad, fine, have at it. Reason and common sense do just fine for me and my life. That is all you need to know.

Now, off you go, you have bigger fish to fry, but I do applaud your efforts.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

You know, I had such fun with Deutsch's book, I thought I would paste in here the front flap of the book. I mean, its soooo clear that this guy is pan-handling for fundamentalist Christians. Maybe Perry, you should tell him what he really believes, he sounds like he needs the help:

Front Flap From David Deutsch's book "The Fabric of Reality"

The Fabric of Reality presents a startlingly integrated, rational and optimistic world view - the result of taking seriously the deepest ideas of modern science and the philosophy of science. The four main strands of explanation involved in this synthesisare quantum physics and the theories of evolution, computation, and knowledge. These strands may seem unrelated, yet this book shows that they are so closely intertwined that we cannot properly understand any one of them without reference to the other three. Considered in isolation, each of them has explanatory gaps which have inhibited people from accepting them as being literally true. But considered jointly, they reveal a unified fabric of reality that is objective and comprehensible, and in which human actions and ideas play essential roles.

The most profound of the four strands is quantum theory, which contains our most fundamental knowledge of the physical world. Taken literally, it implies that there are many universes 'parallel' to the one we see around us, and that they are detectable through the astonishing phenomenon of quantum interference. The multiplicity of universes turns out to be the key to the unification of the four strands. For example, both the growth of scientific knowledge and the evolution of biological adaptations are best understood as multi-universe phenomena: normally, universes tend to become less alike with time, and the only two known processes capable of making them more alike are biological evolution and human thought.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Also, the status quo is not at all honestly described by or likened to a "red penney" or any other singular example.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I would love to believe in the existence of God.

Unfortunately, the possession and use of mind altering substances is illegal where I live.

Dave

P.S. Now accepting donations for the construction of our local Atheist Temple (clothing optional , god prohibited ).

We are not a cult!

• startingover
    startingover

I was going to add something to this discussion, but I think I will just go beat my head against the wall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit