Watchtower History

by RR 35 Replies latest forum suggestions

• larc
    larc

RR,

I went to the site you provided regarding the early history. It was interesting. I also went back and reread Penton's version. The two accounts correspond very closely. His description of the relationship beteewn Russell and his wife is more detailed and indicates that there was more conflict between the two than I would have gathered from your account.

Also, your quote from Russell in 1913 indicated that he thought that something big was going to happen in 1914, but not necessarily the end of the world. It is my understanding that Russell made strong statements about the end in 1914 earlier on, and he was hedging his bets in 1913. Is my understanding a correct one?

• larc
    larc

RR,

Don't need to answer the last question, found evidence that Russell was hedging. (see the Main discussion posted early this morning)
    Q: you stated in your history that Rutherford made 100 changes in the religion. I've collected quite a few, but not nearly 100. Is this list available?

• RR
    RR

I'd have to dig it up somewhere in my files, give me time, but don't hold your breathe ... lol

"People in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones"

• thinker
    thinker

Anyone up for a little trivia quiz?
    OK, put your fingers on your keyboards and let's play.

1) True or False. Pastor C.T. Russell was an active Mason during his time as president of the WTBTS.

2) Name the stated purpose for building Beth Sarim, the Witness mansion in California.

3) What non-scriptural reason was printed in a 1960's Watchtower for refusing blood?

4) True or False. If you were born and raised as a JW in Mexico, you would not be baptised, you would not belong to a congregation, you would not carry a bible door-to-door, and you would not belong to a religious organization.

5) The GB once concidered changing the 1914 date of Christ's invisible return. What date was considered as a replacement and what earth-shattering event happened in that year?

6) Pastor Russell wrote of Jesus' presence on earth as beginning in what year? (The earliest year, not 1914.)

7) True or False. Prior to Dec. 1972, if your husband was having anal sex with another woman; you did not have grounds for divorce according to GB policy.

8) Who was the main translator for NWT bible?

9) True or False. The GB always consults scripture to make policy decisions.

10) What two ailments were once described in a Watchtower as being caused by "worms in the body"?

Bonus question: According to the Mayan calendar, when will the world come to an end?

I will post the answers in a separate forum in a few days.
    Thinker

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

ROFLMAO, RHW! I know that old trick myself!

RCat

• m2u
    m2u

1) True or False. Pastor C.T. Russell was an active Mason during his time as president of the WTBTS. -TRUE-

2) Name the stated purpose for building Beth Sarim, the Witness mansion in California.-DEAD GUY"S HOTEL-

3) What non-scriptural reason was printed in a 1960's Watchtower for refusing blood?-GOT ME

4) True or False. If you were born and raised as a JW in Mexico, you would not be baptised, you would not belong to a congregation, you would not carry a bible door-to-door, and you would not belong to a religious organization. -TRUE-

5) The GB once concidered changing the 1914 date of Christ's invisible return. What date was considered as a replacement and what earth-shattering event happened in that year? GOT ME

6) Pastor Russell wrote of Jesus' presence on earth as beginning in what year? (The earliest year, not 1914.)18 something or other

7) True or False. Prior to Dec. 1972, if your husband was having anal sex with another woman; you did not have grounds for divorce according to GB policy. -TRUE-

8) Who was the main translator for NWT bible? -FREAKY FRANZ-

9) True or False. The GB always consults scripture to make policy decisions. -FALSE-

10) What two ailments were once described in a Watchtower as being caused by "worms in the body"? Take some miracle wheat for it.

Bonus question: According to the Mayan calendar, when will the world come to an end? - Got me swing'n-

I will post the answers in a separate forum in a few days.

Thinker

Feliz Navidad y Prospero Ano Nuevo !

m2u

• RR
    RR

Okay, this is just off the top of my head, so excuse any errors:

1) False [Contrary to the popular, it is NOT true]

2) For the resurrected ancient worthies, who were to be kings over the earth.

3) What non-scriptural reason was printed in a 1960's Watchtower for refusing blood?

4) True, JW's are not a religion in Mexico

5) 1958 I believe, that was the year the sputnik was launched, "signs and wonders."

6) 1874, this date was accepted and promoted well into the 1930s, and changed to 1914 without cause and reason, it wasn't until the 1950s that a chronology was devised to explain the change.

7) True

8) Fred Franz

9) HA HA HA ... you're not serious are you? [false]

10) I knew this one, but it escapes me now

Bonus) ???

"People in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones"

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Well, I'm not going to go through the whole list again, but everyone seems to be avoiding this one:

I'm not sure if this is the answer you're looking for, but I DO remember that there were several articles about several people who had a complete personality change after accepting blood that had been donated by a criminal.

Supposedly, one very meek, gentle man became aggressive, foul-mouthed, and violent after his transfusion. Therefore, another reason to avoid a blood transfusion was so that you wouldn't be changed into another person.

• m2u
    m2u

RR regarding # 4.

I think that the JW's are now a religion in Mexico.

Boy, I could have sworn he was a Mason.

m2u

• thinker
    thinker

RR,

I was surprised by your answer to the Russell as a mason question. I look forward to hearing a further explaination of your reasoning.
    In the meantime, let me present what evidence I have for saying "yes, he was".
    I found some websites that make a short statement about Russell being a mason. I ignored these. Then, I found one which listed the specific masonic temple(lodge?) he belonged to (York Rite, Allegheny Pa.) My curiousity grew.
    Recently I downloaded a bunch of sermons by Russell. Found 3 references to masons. All of the quotes seem favorable of the masons:

"Who may know God's secrets?"

"As in some secret societies there are different steps
    or grades--for instance, all Masons are familiar with
    the secrets pertaining to the first degree yet not all Masons
    are familiar with the secrets, etc., pertaining to the
    thirty-second degree, so in God's Secret Order there are
    first principles of the doctrines of Christ which must be
    known to all who belong to the order, and are also "deep
    things of God," which may be known only to those who
    have made advancement by growth in grace and knowledge
    and love. (Heb. 6:1; 1 Cor. 2:10.) To some unfamiliar
    with the facts but having a knowledge of earthly
    secret societies it may seem strange to say that the secrets
    of the Divine Order of the Sons of God are so abstract,
    so impenetrable, that they may be discussed freely in
    the presence of others and not be comprehended at all."

(How many people at that time (or now) knew that a 32nd degree mason was the highest "rank" attainable?)

"The desire of all nations."

"Free Masons have waited twenty-five hundred years
    for the same glorious personage, as Hiram Abiff, the
    great Master Mason whose death, glorification and future
    appearing are continually set before them by the letters
    upon their keystones. He died a violent death, they
    claim, because of his loyalty to the Divine secrets typed in
    Solomon's Temple. He must reappear, they claim, in
    order that the great antitypical Temple may be completed
    and its grand service for Israel and for all peoples
    may be accomplished. They claim that his presence is
    to be expected speedily."

"The overthrow of satan's empire."

"Would these same men be so dishonest
    in respect to their vows to the Masons or the Odd Fellows
    or other human organizations? Would they support
    things which they did not believe? We cannot think so."

Lastly, I always wondered why Russell got so interested in the great pyramid. As you probably know the masons claim their secret society was started by the pyramid builders (hence the name "mason"). Why else would a man travel from the U.S. to Egypt (no easy task in the 1800's) to study and measure the great pyramid.

This is by no means conclusive proof, but it seems very convincing to me.

I look forward to your reply.

p.s. If you don't already have Russells sermons I'd be glad to send you a copy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit