Watchtower History

by RR 35 Replies latest forum suggestions

• RR
    RR

I once offered this to Obed, and he did seem interested, however, because of my being a free thinker, it didn't go too well with the JW moderators on witnet.

I had propose a History forum, where the history of the Watchtower Society could be analyzed, their beliefs, and practices, how they evolved, why they believe as they did or do. Such a forum will enlighten many to the organization they either once called or currently call 'Jehovah's Visible Organization.'

"People in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones"

• m2u
    m2u

I think it's a great idea.
    I could not be much of a contributer but I would love to be a student.

I't could be hard to have to face for many people though.
    Some people don't wnat reality.

It seems that many in the TRUTH don't want to face reality hence the censorship on may boards.

As long as this place remains a peaceful refuge I think it could be good.

Anyone else have an opinion ?

m2u

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Sounds like an interesting idea. If we all whine enough, I'm sure Simon will do it.....he's pretty easy.

• RR
    RR

Having read the Watchtower's "Proclaimers of God's Kingdom" history book,I thought to myself, is this a history or a field service report.

One JW told me, "I like the new history, but it's missing something" .... I said "yeah, history."

Having spoken to the one who researched and compiled the data for the 'Proclaimers' book, it is only half said.

I was told that the book was rewitten by the Society's writing department and when they were through with it, about 75% of the original was rewritten. This person has since left bethel and is now inactive.

"People in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones"

Edited by - RR on 19 December 2000 21:25:36

• waiting
    waiting

Hey y'all,

In line with the official history - with documentation - there's always an unofficial - undocumented - history.

I've enjoyed immensely larc's background history about Rutherford and other persons. About silk shirts and Beth Sarim.

Just like any dry history, it's the background information that makes it come alive. The problem is with how much of the background information becomes colored by the teller. I have no answer - but I think it's important to the telling of the history.

Rather like a museum has pictures and artifacts to bring history alive for us.

waiting.

• RR
    RR

Well if background history is what you want, then it's what I have. I have been documenting the Society's history for some fifteen years, have an out of print book to my name "Soldiers of the Cross" and am a historian for the Bible Students Association, working on a history of Pastor Russell and the IBSA.

Keep in mind that most of those who worked closely with Russell left shortly after he died, and some of the documentation is incredible. Most of these old timers were still alive in the 60s and 70s, and the Bible Students went to great lengths to record the history and experiences, these were all done on video and audio tapes, which are in my library, quite a history.

Edited by - RR on 20 December 2000 14:16:12

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

This is facinating. I hope you will share and I would love to see a forum dedicated to this.

Thanks

Path

• m2u
    m2u

first...HIYA WAITING !

second...RR, You have really got me interested in this one.
    It's almost scary to even think of taking a look at your data(I've never been able to shake weird post-JW feelings)I never heard of this stuff before I went on H20 and now you are the only person I have been in contact with who has material plus knowledge of it.
    I would like to see it a.s.a.p even before a forum is set up.

Would you mind telling me where I can find something on the net to read ? Do you have it on your web page ?
    btw...are you a "Russellite" ?

Thanks

m2u

• Simon
    Simon

I think a History forum is a great idea. I've done some stuff on the history of the Org before (see http://www.jwtruth.com/jwt/timeline.asp if you have a version 4 or greater browser).
    The idea is that you can choose the subjects you are interested in and it will make up a timline with all the relevant events in it. I'm sure there is a lot of stuff that could be added to it though!

• thinker
    thinker

RR,
    Excellent idea!!! I've been collecting info. online for about 6 months. When I read of your 6000+ books library I was thrilled. To actually hold this stuff in your hands...I would love to see a massive online "library" with every word ever printed. I would like to suggest that anyone posting to this thread CLEARLY state if the info. is backed up IN PRINT. I enjoy the "hearsay" as much as the printed stuff, but I like to know the source.

Thinker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit