How Long Have you Been Out of the Witnesses ? Have you Moved On ?

by flipper 79 Replies latest jw friends

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Started to properly wake up late April 2008. By June 2008 was feverishly researching Society doctrine using their publications and the Bible (it was the Bible that properly woke both my wife and me up) and by July 2008 - after sitting through the District Convention with my ears wide open to what was being taught - I resigned as an elder and ceased meeting attendance.

My wife and I wanted to avoid being cut off from family, so we kept our mouths shut as to our reasons for not attending meetings anymore. What was shocking was how our conditional-friends didn't even want to know our reasons for leaving 'the truth', but were happy to tell us they couldn't have anything to do with us anymore; we weren't DFd at the time.

We enjoyed a summer of meeting and service free weekends, but we soon started to yearn for some fellowship. We still held Christian values and viewed ourselves as being non-denominational Christians but kinda balked about church. Gail decided to attend an Alpha course and that led to us tentatively attending our first ever church services. We choose an evangelical church as we knew we wouldn't like the formalism of the Church of Scotland.

Our eyes became further open to the Watch Tower Society lies regarding "so-called Christians" and we began attending church every Sunday and soon found ourselves making new friends. As we knew one of our children would eventually mention to JW family that we go to church, I told my father. He was under the impression that we would, at some point, return to the KH, so I had to put him straight on that. Because I'd 'confessed' our church-going to him, I was put in a position of having to tell an elder so that my dad wouldn't have to turn us in to the congregation. I complied with this and eventually met with two elders - two elders whom I'd been serving with just a few months before - and gave them Gail's DA letter, while I verbally DAd myself by admitting I'd gone to church.

They cited the verses which apply to the anti-christ as being the reason why we were to be shunned by family and former friends. This was October 2008.

It's now March 2009, we're firmly plugged into a small, independent evangelical church, we've made new friends, we've got a new baby in the family whom we firmly believe is a gift and a blessing from God, life is good and we're in possession of a deep seated feeling of peace and joy.

Yes, at times the JW mentality still kicks in, yes at times I get angry at the shunning (we have family members who haven't even acknowledged the birth of our new son. They live locally to us, they could even just send an email...), but we strangely don't miss anyone we left behind in the Org.

• free2think
    free2think
    We should figure out how to "cost average!"

Definitely.

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

Started to fade more than 10 years, which is good. Moved on? In most things, for example I don't feel guilty about service, meeting attendance memorial etc. I used to have a 'twinge' of guilt when Nisan 14 rolls past, but no more.

Now that I am 'out' with the family and they decided to shun my family and I, I am pi$$ed off! Not sure why I am angry at them, I know that they are just following the BORG's rules. That should pass in time, I suppose.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

July 12 will be officially 4 years - that's when they announced my disfellowshipment.

100% moved on - I still love my family that are in but respect their wishes - it's their choice. I am SO much happier.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

1993 was my last meeting, went to a District Convention for 1 day in 95 and that was that, D/A'ed in absence little while after.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Hey Flipper, it's been almost a year for us. Last meeting 5/08, we did attend the memorial last year. We did one of those fast fades. We've had some surprise elder visits and letters from a few people at the hall. The weird thing is that our family hasn't really asked, it's like the elephant in the room. I know that once the topic of doctrinal matters or history of JW's rears it's ugly head, that this little time of relative peace will be over. I think that this memorial season is a turning point (I'm not going), they will leave us alone or pursue matters. Steve Hassans books and CoC have helped free us mentally, but you can't change the past or our weird childhoods, so it is really difficult to move on. Our goal is to have a different kind of life for our children, that's what is helping me move on right now

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I was never bptized...only an unbapt pub. "left" in 1990. Greatly affected my relationship with my dad, which has never recovered. I ended up marrying an inactive JW (due to the WT ingraining in me I could never fit in with someone 'of the world') She then ending up becoming active again. The bitterness over my life being turned insode out by their control is hard to move on from. Talking to others helps. I have made alot of friends here.

• trebor
    trebor

My wife and I “officially” disassociated ourselves in May 2008. This was after what I recognize as years of having doubts but putting it off as “Waiting on Jehovah”, “Where Else To Go”, “Best Religion Out There” mentality. The months prior to May 2008, I did intense research which originally started with trying to understand the blood stance by the Society – which led to Organ Transplants – and then the rape stance. After bringing the information to my wife, she knew the organization was wrong too. We reached out to our family via a mini-book which assisted my wife's parents to leave the organization, but my side of the family – Parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, etc…have all shunned us. The exception is my father who “kind of” talks to me every now and then.

I don’t think I will ever “completely” move on. I believe the reasons are several:

1. The aforementioned family members still a part of the organization.

2. The impact it had and the amount of years I was a part of it.

3. The need to want to help others who are genuinely good people understand the organization for what it is.

I realize now that a lot of it was me not thinking it through completely or/and being cognitive dissonant. Factor that with the conscious and subconscious notion of shunning, the ideals that (eternal) life is lost, and all the other mind-controlling techniques utilized, it helped me understand myself, my family and many other things much clearer now.

I also understand now while despite being fairly intelligent I did poorly in history and the sciences, although excellent in math and reading. The history and science I learned and had the opportunity to learn about would have easily disproven many of the false notions and beliefs I held.

Anyhow, this is a great topic and looking forward to reading more responses.

• rebel8
    rebel8

This is my 20th year (I think).

20th anniversaries....gifts of china....hmmm, what should I get myself? A china plate with a big A painted on it?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

My last meeting was November of 2005. I stopped believing it was the truth years before that. Wish I had quit long before I did. I would say that I've moved on, aside from the fact that I haven't really discussed my issues with any family members. I know they keep holding out hope that I'll come back, but it ain't happening. I don't see them often enough for it to matter, except for one brother, who's inactive, and rarely attends meetings himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit