How Long Have you Been Out of the Witnesses ? Have you Moved On ?

by flipper 79 Replies latest jw friends

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Ippy I've got to go back and read how you got out. I'll bet it's interesting.

not really. well not to me anyway. just something that happened.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/91583/1/It-is-finished-or-is-it-just-beginning

• dinah
    dinah

Thanks, Ippy. Going back to read.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I didn't go through much personal "hurt" exiting. My JW wife and JW mother are still there for me. The relationships have changed, but not entirely. I finished the fade just about 2 years ago. I learned it was a dangerous mind-control cult about 3 years ago, but it took me awhile to get the courage to leave. Actually, I was questioning it ever since 1995's big "generation" change.

Moving on- HUH? It's just my humble opinion, but many of us have not moved on a whole bunch. Sure, I feel the doctrine leaving my mind. I feel a big sense of relief and peace. There is a great deal of "moving on" for me. But really, I still have close personal contacts in the cult. To me, if posting heavily at ex-JW forums is still done, then there's still some work to be done. But I am much better now than 1 or 2 years ago.

I also don't think that totally moving on is for everyone. I will move on more if I ever get the wife out. But I will probably still meetup with the ex-JW's and will still come to the web, just not very often. I would keep close contact with many of youse guys via phone and visits. We all share the surviving of a tragedy experience. There's no need to totally move on from it. It has effected our way of life, our spiritual being, our thought processes.

Anyway, good thread.

• dinah
    dinah

I've always wondered why some people can see it and some people don't.

My best friend got my mind out of it. Back then we were reading the bible.....she kept finding things that proved them soooo WRONG. So that chain was broken. We spent hours talking about all this crap. Her Dad was abusive, VERY abusive.....he was an elder. That bothered me when she finally told me what went on at home. It was years later when we were in our 20's, but her sperm donor always gave me the creeps. Holy Spirit MY A$$.

Sometimes I think about the kids I grew up with. The ones that I have been able to find are all broken (3 are dead--drugs and suicides).

But as far as moving on goes, I have. But I still feel connected to others who had to deal with the same crap I had to deal with.

• Maddie
    Maddie

Hello Mr. Flipper

I left about a year ago, and like yourself I have read the same books. After much soul-searching and emotional pain I have moved on now. Losing my family has been very painful but with help I have managed to come to terms with my life and my losses. I don't feel that I have lost myself now and am not bankcrupt spiritually, in fact I have found genuine spirituality now that I am freed from the JW cult. This is truly a blessing, and one for which I am truly grateful for.

Maddie

• dinah
    dinah

Reading all these stories makes me realize I was blessed to have a non-JW Dad. I really didn't lose any family. Mom can't shun me because it would be a "bad witness" to Dad. So I get a free pass.

• lonestar63
    lonestar63

I've actually been officially "Out" for a year. Started my fade about 20 years ago, but last year was the first Memorial i missed, so it's offically 1 year.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

When I realized the religion I grew up with did not have the moral sense to recognize sexual predators, I was DONE.

That was 2002. Now I regard it as just another cult that damages the lives of it's members.

P

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Will be out 21 years this December--gradually regained faith in humanity, belief in a loving God and the power of prayer...obtained a college degree...married the love of my life...helped to raise two stepkids and now enjoy the grandkids, so yes, I've moved on.

But, I can't stay away from this site, JWS and YouTube, because I know there are many who are now where I once was, and I can't stand the thought of it.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Out since 1975 and realized the JW's NEVER had any power!

I left because I just couldn't believe what they taught and didn't like the way they operated..

Came to the XJW boards around 2000 and found out WHY I didn't believe them..it was a bunch of lies...

When my JW hubby died in 2003 I no longer had any contact with any JW's. It's been heaven..(but I still miss hubby)

Snoozy..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit