British Sociologist Predicts Possible Collapse in Jehovah's Witness Numbers

by slimboyfat 88 Replies latest jw friends

• processor
    processor
    the number of hours each publisher must preach to produce an extra convert has gone up substantially

I made a diagram showing the number of hours per baptismal candidate:

hours

• jabberwock
    jabberwock

Over the past few years there has been an increased emphasis on the importance of learning a foreign language and joining a foreign language group or congregation. Many of these groups and congregations enjoy greater success in meeting interested persons that were previously unfamiliar with Jehovah's Witnesses. Often this leads to an increased amount of literature placements, Bible studies, and converts.

I think encouraging those in English speaking congregations to join these groups can possibly serve two purposes: Those who are discouraged by the lack of response from those in their current territory can seek out a more fruitful one, while at the same time they help increase the number of active Witnesses by seeking converts in a previously overlooked community.

I don't know if anyone mentioned that, but that is what I first thought of when reviewing this thread.

jabberwock

• Gordy
    Gordy

Having just gone through this thread, and the many comments made, there is a lot of "ifs and buts." We can point to different things and say, that’s proof the WT is , collapsing, stagnating, growing or whatever. It can depend on where you live and the way JWs are in your area.

For instance in my area, highly populated, with 7 JW congregations. I left 8 years ago, before that say in the preceding 10 years, there was a optimism among the congregations. New Kingdom Halls were being built, ready for the increase expected. There was a certain buoyancy in the congregation. In the field service territory was being worked, on average every 2-3 months, in some areas nearly every month. Everything look like we were in for growth and expansion.

But now from what I have learned, congregations are struggling , numbers have practically halved in 4 of the congregations.

Elders have resigned, one or two even been "reproved" by a Judicial Committee. Many young ones have either left, or just stopped going to meetings. Those who are still in seem to be living lives that when I was their age I would be up before the Elders in no time.

I've met them in pubs and clubs, not just the odd one, but groups of 4-6. The girls dressed in a way they would never dare in the KH.

I've been told things that have gone on in congregations, that have shocked me.

I have heard of JWs who, when I knew them were strong "spiritual" brothers.

Who have upped and left, because they have usually discovered something about the WT.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that we cannot point to any one thing that will cause the WT to collapse.

Like all cults there will always be a hardcore that will continue, that will hang on no matter what.

Is the Watchtower more like the Roman Empire, where its decline came from internal struggles and upheavals.

As those old ones on the Governing Body die off will they be replaced by more conservative ones or more liberal ones.

Will they realise it may mean a case of "Change or Die"

• 1914BS
    1914BS

Ummm how did you get that Excel image????

• truthlover
    truthlover

Just recd the June KM and the Canadian numbers are back on for pubs, hours, studies, etc. -- last page

• steve2
    steve2
    Just recd the June KM and the Canadian numbers are back on for pubs, hours, studies, etc. -- last page

Truthlover - do you have access to the current publisher numbers and studies in Canada from the June KM? Itwould be interesting to see them. Thanks

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Jabberwock,

Efforts in foreign language have been a mixed bag in many places.

On the plus side for the dubs, there will be new converts from a naive, vulnerable sub-culture. New congregations will be formed. These experiences make for interesting interviews at crapventions and Botchtower articles which, in term, help the dubs imagine "Jehovah is blessing the organization."

On the downside, it is the strongest dubs that will leave the English congregations to take up the new challenge. This leaves the English congregations weaker and struggling if there aren't enough to fill the vacancies if many leave. I heard rumors that some areas had discouraged "need-greaters" since the local congregations were getting to be in such poor shape. I think I heard that Canada had disbanded a bunch of struggling foreign language (Italian, I think) to bring life back to the English. With these new foreign language congregations, they often have their own problems begin surfacing for a variety of reasons. And for those dubs that take up the challenge of learning a new language, many don't excel and don't find the "rich blessings" that were expected. They struggle with the language and get frustrated with the cultural barriers. Foreign language meetings give them a headache trying to follow. Some initial interest is found, but the people move away or lose interest. Consequently, many don't stay in foreign language. I didn't.

B the X

• jabberwock
    jabberwock

B the X, you make several good points about the foreign language field. The challenges you mention (cultural barriers, language learning difficulty) are not insignificant, but I still think that the foreign language field may prove to be more effective in getting converts. Do you think that increased activity in foreign language preaching will result in a boost to the overall numbers (Bible studies, publishers) or will it backfire?

As far as the effect that joining a foreign language congregation has on the individual Witness I agree that it is indeed "a mixed bag". Do you think that the people who leave foreign language groups feel worse than they did before they joined? If so perhaps it would be better not to encourage people looking for something new and exciting to join them in the first place.

By the way, I would be interested in hearing more about your experience in a foreign language congregation. What language were you learning? Maybe you could send me a PM with some details.

jabberwock

• processor
    processor
    how did you get that Excel image????

You can download the underlying table here: http://svhelden.kilu.de/lib/getaufte.xls

The worldwide numbers are from Infolink (German Ex-JW site), the numbers for Germany I calculated from the monthly KM figures.

• 1914BS
    1914BS

processor

I mean - how did you make a JPG from an excel chart???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit