Thoughts on the 2012 theory?!

by ZeusZero 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• parakeet
    parakeet

"What are your thoughts on the 2012 theory regarding the end of the world. We have read recently about the financial crisis being an early sign of this end. Id like to know what you fellow brothers and sisters think of this. If you have some interesting links or articles please post to share."

1. The "2012 theory" is not a theory. It's a prediction (although I imagine the WTS is just hinting at it after the spectacular 1975 debacle).

2. It's just another prediction (soon to be proven false) in the long string of failed dub predictions.

3. I'm not your "sister."

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Its an interesting prediction - Apparently both the mayans and a gentleman who studied the I ching predicted 2012. But it needn't be doom and gloom - it may be something to look forward to. I'll only start worrying when the animals begin running for the hills and birds start behaving oddly. (what if they all start jumping up and down for joy though) I think I'll worry more then (I'm serious)

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Just about every year has had people saying it is going to be the end of the world. If you take the number that have been right and compare it with the number of predictions that have been wrong, you will find a 100% failure rate. I'll safely predict 2012 will be another failed prediction.

The problem with people that resign themselves to the world ending is that they have little incentive to work to make the world we live in a better place.

• parakeet
    parakeet

quietlyleaving: "I'll only start worrying when the ... birds start behaving oddly. (what if they all start jumping up and down for joy though"

<----------------------------------- Don't worry. If I start behaving oddly or jumping for joy, you'll be the first to know.

• ninja
    ninja

maya pronounced backwards is "I am"

• SouthCentral
    SouthCentral

Actually, the sun is only at the centre of the Solar System, which is less than a mere pin prick on one of the outer arms of the Milky Way Galaxy. The Milky Way itself is only one of trillions of galaxies all moving around the universe at incredible speed.

So there's probably not much significance there at all.

As mentioned, the sun will be at the center of the GALAXY. It is a given that the sun is at the center of our solar system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012

John Major Jenkins and others [11] believe that an alignment will occur when the sun rises above the horizon on December 21 2012, at which point the sun will rise in the middle of the Milky Way Galaxy, thus causing an alignment between the earth, sun, and the Galactic Center. [12] It is suggested that this event will cause numerous changes on Earth. However, the event is only a visual phenomenon from the Earth's perspective, which is caused by the precession of the equinoxes or the 26,000 year wobble of the earth, and thus only changes our perspective, not the actual position of the earth in relation to the galaxy. In short, there is no gravitational force or radiation to be expected from this event because other than the tilt of the earth; nothing will be any different from what occurs in any other solstice. [13] [14] [15]

Michael Tsarion [16] and others think that an actual physical alignment of our entire solar system will occur with the horizontal plane of the Milky Way Galaxy on that day. The solar system is moving around the center of the galaxy every 225 million years or so, and while doing so is moving up and down in a cycle crossing the plane every 33 million years. According to the Journal Nature, however, there is evidence of the solar system crossing the galactic plane 3 million years ago. This would mean that we are moving away from the galactic plane, not toward it, and we will not be due to cross it for another 30 million years. [17]

• ninja
    ninja

btw.....what is the significance of 11:11 a.m?

• steve2
    steve2

People are suckers for end-of-the-world predictions. As an old, old, old saying (tranlsated into English from Latin) once said: "The world wants to be deceived".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit