The Internet (what year did you first have access)

by Ri 41 Replies latest jw friends

• ninja
    ninja

I started the interweb.....I had two cans and a bit of string........then introduced a keyboard (synthesiser)....before you knew it...I was arguing with folk I never knew....and who I would probably like in real life.....he he......

• PanzerZauberei
    PanzerZauberei

1994 at work then around 1995 at home.

• Ri
    Ri

Thank You all for your answer and information....I didn't expect so many comments. I was pleasently surprised.

• Hittman
    Hittman

In the late 80s, but as noted, it was all text, with rather clumsy search tools. It was more of a novelty than a useful tool.

Having an e-mail address was a biggy at the time.

I was running a multi-line BBS, and added internet e-mail to it around then. It was a huge thing, and some people subscribed just for that.

Hm... when was "Prodigy" and txt-only BBS?

And don't forget GEnie. I was a sysop on GEnie, although they called us Round Table leaders back then.

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

About 1993 Mosaic and compuserve???I think it was like a restricted internet service Thanks to the x witnesses who were so quick to utilize this medium I was on the way to recovery. I'd like to add their material and advice was factual well supported without a hint of bitterness just right for me I knew something was terribly wrong but I did not really want to believe that the religion was. I had a lot to lose. So if any of you are listening Thanks heaps I have since spent countless hours helping others: people in no mans land and found it to be a very frustrating experience. So I really admire you. Love you all Robert

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I finally got online in 2006--I had a not Y2K compliant computer given to me by the witlesses in 2001, that was supposed to be used solely for research on Washtowel publications. That needed a used [up] monitor, which I dragged my feet on getting.

Then, in the middle of 2006, I got into a "secret" society that the washtowel was bashing, and they suggested I get a computer to make things easier with them (plus get more integrated research on everything). It took me all of 2 weeks after that to get a computer and put it online, and another 5 weeks to get broadband.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

1997. I got ATT dialup.

In 96, I got Juno email, and promptly drove my old CO nuts with an email every day. I was so excitied to have email. Once I got the real internet, I got busy surfing for news and sports.... Still do...

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Around 2000 I think. I was in Dial-up hell until around 2004 when I got Broadband.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OMG I feel like such a geek

You had to know a bit of coding just to start the computer.

1988 using text only black screen with green text. Then there was Windows 3.1!!!!

I was thrilled one day to get into the library of the Univ of Hawaii database

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

1996. I still have the same email address from my start.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit