The Internet (what year did you first have access)

by Ri 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Ri
    Ri

I first had access to the Internet in 1994. I thought it was amazing all the information at my fingertips. I have no idea what search engine I used before google.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY

• White Dove
    White Dove

2000 at school where I discovered e-mail and 2001 at home.

• Ri
    Ri

I didn't use the Internet to often as you were charged by the minute on dail-up....Then AOL started charging $19.95 a month for dail-up access about the year 1995 0r 96 and the Internet took off like a rocket. Bill Gates windows also helped in that regard also.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

• asilentone
    asilentone

I got my first internet service about in 1994, but it was so sloooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww, I cancelled it in a month!, few years later like 1998, the speed connection was better, so I got internet again at home, I am internet addict since 1998.

• Ri
    Ri

OH god yes ...slowwwwwwwwwwww slowwwwwwwww slowwwwwww....most of the time I couldn't get online.

I can still remember the sound of AOL trying to get online....

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

around 1983 I think...Compuserve (or was that CI$). I got on at an amazing 300 baud (today's dialup is 56,000 baud). I think compuserve classic is still available through AOL.

I was also on Prodigy when it was a mere BBB in the mid 90s. It is now a very tiny unit of AT&T (aka SBC). However, Prodigy is huge in Mexico.

I got on Juno when it was Beta email only. I have been using it since 1998....I still use the offline reader but if I want juno email free I have to switch to web only. I like the offline reader. I could switch to their paid email but never have. So I pay $10/mo for juno premium dialup as a backup internet connection.

Currently I use ATT uVerse but only at 1MB broadband. I wish I could afford to move up...

my how things have changed. The local cable company is now offering 60 MB upload/5 MB download. (or is that GB, I forget...its fast)

Snakes ()

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

I think it was around 1984 or so

I had just read "Neuromancer" by William Gibson

and it sparked my interest

I got on to Usenet and found some interesting

groups and I took off from there

Been plugging away ever since

• wizardca
    wizardca

'94 at school. Then in 97got AOHell.