The Internet (what year did you first have access)

by Ri 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

1992. No GUI, no HTML, no color, no graphics, no links, no WWW. Just Gopher, Archie, Veronica, WAIS, Usenet, Pico, Pine, IRC, Unix Shell accounts, and a Unix command line driven interface. Downloads took two steps: download to your host and then download from your host to your PC at the blinding speed of 1200 baud.

Very primitive by today's standards.

Farkel

• cawshun
    cawshun

1995 for me, first my husband just bought the computer, then one night we did the Prodigy trial and wow, what an awakening, we stayed up till 4 a.m. looking all around.

It was then that I got hooked and have had a love affair with the internet ever since.

• observador
    observador

My first search engine was altavista.com. It cost a small fortune to have a dial-up access at the time.

Having an e-mail address was a biggy at the time.

• Decided
    Decided

My brain is going out on me. I can't remember much about my past computer history. I was on a bulleton board before I got on the internet. I remember Compuserve, or the word compuserve, can't remember what it was though. I get so frustrated trying to remember things. I hope it isn't that disease that starts with an A. Old age sure has got my brain not working as it should.

Ken P.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Ken,

:I remember Compuserve, or the word compuserve, can't remember what it was though.

Compuserve was originally a bulletin board. I used it in the 1980's.

Farkel

• Borgia
    Borgia

1997, dial up.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

2002 dial up.....second hand pentium 2 computer with a huge heavy monitor........so embarrasing beat that!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

1988: first started using dial-up modem in college at my job to access databases

(interesting footnote: in those days, when I got scans of old WT publications I wanted to share with ppl I knew, I thought maybe I could say I got it from the internet, thinking that this would be viewed as a safe, neutral, source -- how times have changed!)

1990: my sister got a modem and started chatting on BBs

1993 (spring): my first exposure to the WWW via the Mosaic browser

1993 (August): I got my first email account and began to very regularly use PINE, GOPHER, and USENET

1994: my first access to Netscape and I started to "surf the web"

1995: first started using online webchat

1996-1997: read the old H20 website as a lurker but did not sign up

1999: started chatting via mIRC and (in 2000) Snak

• crapola
    crapola

I'm very slow,,, 2006. But I love it now.

• Satanus
    Satanus

'94, netscape.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit