G'day All...

by tympan 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• tympan
    tympan

Just thought I would introduce myself, as it seems a bit rude not to. This, in a nut shell, is my story.

I was a third generation witness and I did all the normal stuff we were expected to do. Left school early, pioneered, went to bethel, MS and all that palava. My family was tight-knit and very close, with me and my two sisters all pioneering together back in the mid eighties. I was in the Australian bethel from 1986-1989. I left bethel to get married to a hot pioneer chick and we were married for 10 years.

I had a number of nagging doubts but I was a big-shot in the local cong so i just buried them all at the back of mind, soaking up the adulation of the lesser members (what a knob I must have been!).

During the early nineties, I signed up for one of those book-of-the-month clubs where they send you a new book each month at a discount rate. All was going well for me until one particular month they sent me biography of Charles Darwin. I was going to send it back, but decided to have a quick look at it, maybe read a couple of pages just to see how wrong it all was.

It was the turning point of my life.

I quickly became engrossed in it. Suddenly I understood evolution. It made perfect logical sense. I instantly realised that Darwinian evolution was the sole reason that there is life on earth. I still remember the thrill of realising that I was not beholden to an arbitrary, jealous arsehole of a god.

About this time my wife and I moved way out into the country, ostensibly to where the need was greater. However, I simply dropped out. I was reappointed as an MS but only gave one talk and then I gave up going to meetings altogether. I had already given up on door-knocking. My wife also stopped attending meetings regularly and started just making up her report card so she wouldn't be hassled by the elders. I thought that was a pretty cool idea. Why hadn't we always done that?

But then our families got involved. They descended on us like plagues trying to save us. When they realised they couldn't change my mind they started the emotional blackmail and the nastiness. And that's when the pain started. Among much else, I remember my sister telling me that she wished that I had cancer rather then leave the truth. That stung! Still does. It was one of the last things that she said to me before she cut me off. My brother rang me up and said that I was not to come to his wedding. My other sister left my house never to speak to me again.

It was such a shock. These people who I had most loved and valued all my life and who loved and respected me, were now hurting me and abusing me in the most accutely painful manner possible. I took it pretty badly. I suffered a severe depressive illness. I blamed myself for hurting them so badly, for letting them down. I spiralled down into a drug and alchohol problem and ended up in a pretty bad way. I lost everything including my marriage.

It took me about 5 years to get over about 50% of the hurt. And about another 10 years to get over 50% of the remainder. I don't think I will ever get over it entirely. It took me years just to admit to someone that I used to be jw, so embarrassed and ashamed was I of my past. I felt it was a character flaw, evidence of some intrinsic weakness to allow myself to have been so severely and profoundly mislead.

I decided that education was the thing for me. So I went back and completed high school and then went to university. I have now completed two degrees, one in the arts and one in science majoring in evolutionary biology. I have travelled the world extensively. I have a new partner who supports and loves me and even respects me for being true to myself.

15 years on and still hurts a bit, although not every day, and even then, no where as much as it used to.

Thanks for reading my story.

• only me
    only me

Hello and welcome!

There's a lot of people here who understand what you have gone through.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Welcome to the Board and thank-you for sharing your story,

I like your name, what meaning does it have for you since have a degree in art, just curious,

purps

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

Welcome to the board.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Wow, what a story Tympan. My heart goes out to you for the pain you've been through but hats off to you for coming out the other side and finding success and happiness. What an inspiration to others you are. And who knows what's round the corner - many of us have lost ones we deeply care about but maybe one day their authentic selves will break free from the cult selves and we'll get them back. We can dream.......

• Dagney
    Dagney

Welcome tympan! What a story!

It is particularly cruel, this pretense that someone just disappears if they don't like what do, say or think. It is very unnatural. I am sorry for the lows, and congratulate you on the ability to accomplish so much in spite of them.

All of us here understand and relate. Welcome again, and thank you for sharing your story.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

G'day tympan

I'm so sorry your family gave you such a tough time.

Welcome to JWN

ql

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Welcome! Your story is kind of dramatic, highs and lows and eventual triumph. I like it! You are like many who post here and you are in good company. Welcome again and I hope you like it here.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Gday mate...great story sounds like you belong here with us! Welcome!

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Hello and welcome. When I hear stories like yours,

It always reminds me of the scripture that says..."You will know them by their love"

I'm glad you were able to move on with your life...the pain does get easier to deal with as time go on. I used to be embarrased to admit I was a JW. Now I freely admit it..so as to warn others.

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit