Has anyone lost a friend or known of someone who committed suicide over BORG-induced guilt?

by Alpaca 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

CRR,

You are here and that's what matters. Without knowing the nature of the after effects, I hope for you that it is possible for them to fade with time.

All the best, man.

Alex

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

My cousin's jw wife attempted suicide. I heard it was because 3 of her 4 kids left the borg.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Alpaca, there is a 16% higher rate of suicide among JW's. Jerry Bergman has written several books on the topic of mental illness among witnesses. Google his name. He is an ex JW and I think he lives in Ohio too.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I have a cousin that committed suicide about 24 years ago. He was raised from toddlerhood as a JW. I do not remember if he was baptized or not but I think he probably was. Herejected the cult at the same time that he quit high school and joined the Army and went to Viet Nam. He developed drug and alcohol problems. He, of course, had lost all his old family and JW friends relationships. He married and produced 2 children. But due to his many issues the marriage fell apart. When his wife and children left he had no one. He shot himself in the head.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Thank you all for sharing your painful stories.

A question for "no more kool aid"....how credible is Jerry Bergman?

Seems like I saw some discussion on here a while back that suggested he was somewhat of an charlatan. I don't know anything about the guy, that's just what I remember reading and if I remember correctly I think the criticisms were backed up with some examples and proof.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I know personally over 6 JW's that committed suicide, plus more that attempted it. Some whilst Witnesses and some after they left. I can't say for sure that it was because they were JW's but am certain the Watchtower guilt laden education must be partly to blame. Most people I have worked with and spoken to have not known anyone that committed suicide, so it seems exceptionally high amongst the JWs that I have known.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Alpaca, I will certainly look into your comments re: Jerry Bergman. When I worked in mental health and would be formulating a treatment plan for the plethora of JW's that came through the doors, he was the only resource I had to illustrate the stress on the average witness to the treatment team. I haven't really kept up on him as of late. Thanks!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The pio bro that 'finished my training' as a teenager, by studying with me [I was raised a Jw, but mom was always inactive], ended his life at Bethel. His weapon of choice was stepping off a building. The cover story was that he 'fell' accidently.

He was deeply depressed by being forced to stay at Bethel. He tried to run once I understand. His folks quietly took him back, encouraging him to stick it out, and do his four years. He went in the spring, and was buried in the fall.

RIP Jim.

Jeff

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

My heart goes out to all of you

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Awwwww...our dear friend Puternut.....another terriible waste of a beautiful human being because of the "love" the WTS followers demonstrated....and just doesn't it warm your heart to the max and make you want to flee back to "the mountain of Jehovah" and be just LIKE THEM? (shudder)

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit