My madly in love friend and what it teaches us about Jehovah's Witnesses

by neverendingjourney 14 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

This may sound harsh. My advice is to let him do what he wants. One day your friend will lose interest and in the mean time he'll learn a huge lesson. In the mean time stay out of it. Tell him you care about him but can't sit back and watch this girl use him. If he comes looking for advice tell him he has to learn things on his own because he won't listen. People are hard headed.

And yes this can be compared to the JW's. He's blinded right now. This girl has power over him. He will one day get tired of being treated like shit and move on.

• JAVA
    JAVA

You said that the woman is 25, and I wonder if he is about the same age or younger. Folks do whatever they do, and sometimes it's hard to figure, but time and a little more experience might be the only thing that can help this guy. No person is worth the crap he is going through, but it's up to him to move on, just like we did when exiting the Tower. When looking back today I can't believe I was taken in by the WT cult, and one day he'll do the same, unless he enjoys the pain and sees himself as worthless.

• rebel8
    rebel8

The comparison can be striking:

Patterns and Characteristics of Codependence

Denial Patterns:
    I have difficulty identifying what I am feeling.
    I minimize, alter or deny how I truly feel.
    I perceive myself as completely unselfish and dedicated to the well being of others.

Low Self Esteem Patterns:
    I have difficulty making decisions.
    I judge everything I think, say or do harshly, as never "good enough."
    I am embarrassed to receive recognition and praise or gifts.
    I do not ask others to meet my needs or desires.
    I value others' approval of my thinking, feelings and behavior over my own.
    I do not perceive myself as a lovable or worthwhile person.

Compliance Patterns:
    I compromise my own values and integrity to avoid rejection or others' anger.
    I am very sensitive to how others are feeling and feel the same.
    I am extremely loyal, remaining in harmful situations too long.
    I value others' opinions and feelings more than my own and am afraid to express differing opinions and feelings of my own.
    I put aside my own interests and hobbies in order to do what others want.
    I accept sex when I want love.

Control Patterns:
    I believe most other people are incapable of taking care of themselves.
    I attempt to convince others of what they "should" think and how they "truly" feel.
    I become resentful when others will not let me help them.
    I freely offer others advice and directions without being asked.
    I lavish gifts and favors on those I care about.
    I use sex to gain approval and acceptance.
    I have to be "needed" in order to have a relationship with others.

• Gill
    Gill

I think, from viewing current JWs and their continued obsession with 'living forever', that Jehovah's Witnesses are people who are in love with themselves and an idea that they are special, different, meant to live forever, and desperately wanting to believe the lie.

You cannot help people who WANT and NEED to believe a lie.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Well... I was going to make a 'traditional mkr comment' but I think discretion being the better part of valor I will let it slide this time...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit