I got invited to the KH for the Traveling Circuit Overseer's talk

by lavendar 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

I agree with the posters who suggested that you maintain a good rapport with your son and not view the situation as adversarial. However, I don't think that means you can't help your son to find his way out of the cult sooner than later.

I've mentioned it on this site before. But in case you missed it, a very good book on the subject of helping loved ones out of a cult is Steven Hassan's "Releasing the Bonds: Helping People to Think for Themselves." He, too, recommends building rapport and avoiding an adversarial approach.

I thought the book was very insightful and filled with good suggestions that can be used with members of any cult, including JWs which are specifically mentioned. Whether your son eventually leaves the WT or not, the suggestions in the book will not harm your relationship with him.

If you can't find it elsewhere, you can order it from the Free Minds website.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

lavendar,

Confess as quickly as you can.

KT

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Sure, if you have'nt been yet, go along..

They will be friendly, it is a low key affair , the C O ought to be a decent speaker to listen to. Take note of what is said, then raise some questions that you son may not expect..They are good at dealing with Q's from the "script" but not some of the stuff we read here..

Sit through it for son...

• lavendar
    lavendar

WTWizard - I appreciate your words of warning.....and thank you so much. But have no fear. I am well grounded in the Bible and can see through the WTS's deceptions. Plus, I've read just about EVERY available book on the market exposing the WTS for what they really are -- a multi-million dollar book publishing company masquerading as a Christian religion. There's not a chance on God's green earth that I would EVER become a JW. :o)

Mrs. Fiorini - Yes, thanks.....I've read that book. Very, very good book!

BluesBrother - That's EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing.....gleaning some info from the CO's talk to ask some "thought-provoking" questions later. The questions I raise to my son are NEVER threatening....but instead are ones that will make him THINK.

Lavendar

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Passive resistance.

When pressed, use the word "interesting" repeatedly. It signifies nothing. Beware of showing any real interest or enthusiasm or they will try to coerce you to increase your participation. Once you are put on the spot and reveal your genuine thoughts and feelings, things can become hostile. Keep your cool and don't allow yourself to respond too hastily to provocation.

• cawshun
    cawshun

Lavendae, I have visited KH on a couple of Sundays. I can tell you, there was nothing uplifting about any of it. Just sooooo boring! I have gone to 2 memorials and again, most boring ritual ever. I will never step foot in a KH again or ever go to antoher memorial. Oh and if you ever plan to go to a District Convention, that is the top of their boring list.

I just politely refuse when I'm invited to go now. I don't talk it down, just let them know I'm not interested.

I try to plant little seeds when the right time allows. My sil came in the house one night with lottery tickets, he said: " We can buy lottery tickets now" . I said: " Oh, they changed that doctrine?. I hope they change the doctrine on blood tranfusions before your kids ever need one". No response from him, and I didn't say anymore. I look for those types of oppourtunities.

I learn so much from this forum, by reading here, it helps me to have information that helps me to think quick and have an answer or question about some of their doctrines

• musky
    musky

If you go, go early and get a seat in the back. If you sit in the front, everyone will stare at you. If you get there late, then there is only seats in the front. The bad thing is, when you get there early, then everybody feels the need to come over and say something. Everybody stares. Oh yeah. They stare. LOL, I am a little bit wierd I guess.

• Gregor
    Gregor

If you go, go early and get a seat in the back. If you sit in the front, everyone will stare at you. If you get there late, then there is only seats in the front. The bad thing is, when you get there early, then everybody feels the need to come over and say something. Everybody stares. Oh yeah. They stare. LOL, I am a little bit wierd I guess.

No, you're not wiered. But when you walk into a KH and smile and try to be friendly you must remember you are looked upon like fresh meat. Not so much that you may add to their numbers (only the WTS cares about numbers) but that if you should perchance end up as one of them they will feel reinforced and justified for the choices and worthless sacrifices they have made.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Circuit overseers are nothing more that marketing executives and organizers,

the PO in my old hall used kiss his ass big time when he was on a visit , treating him to 4 star restaurants and alike.

Funny thing was everyone took it upon themselves that he would have some special and new information on the END.

• musky
    musky

That makes sense Gregor. I was raised a witness. I haven't been to the hall in a while, but i always remember headin for the back seats.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit