Article: The Atheist's Dilemma

by BurnTheShips 150 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BarefootServant
    BarefootServant

Hi Crashfire,

Does anyone else thoroughly enjoy reading the first few posts in a thread and then skipping to the last few? The evolution of any given thread never ceases to amaze me, nor does the wealth of varied knowledge and experience that the members here bring to the table. I've been offline for a few months and trying to catch up with the different debate topics is almost as fun as searching a used bookstore for an overlooked treasure.

I find I skip to the end and then have to read the posts backwards. A stupid way to proceed, but there it is.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    No, you would have to get a biologist to look at it, if it were a miniature robot then yes I could.
    The point is that neither you nor a biologist can say for certain whether a biological object is designed or natural. In principle, the same uncertainty must apply to inanimate objects too.

Did I mention that I am an engineer? I am more than capable of telling if something is manufactured and hence artificial. On what basis are you telling me that I do not know my job? Other posters have pointed out that genetic manipulation would also be evident.

If you did, you would understand why no scientists would say something was "just a theory".
    I never said scientists would say something was "just a theory". Please do not misquote me.

Quoted from your post 41 "On one side the scientists who claim there is sufficient evidence for artificiality and that all can be explained using Darwinian principles, and on the other those who claim that those are just theories and it is more likely that an alien intelligence designed them."

A simple apology will suffice!

Starting with a planet with a developed eco-system and robots that were entirely organic would give a great deal of uncertainty, your scenario with artificial robots is absolutely certain.
    One more time: They are not artificial robots. They evolved. So they say. But you prefer organic robots? So there is great uncertainty as to whether they evolved or were created? You realise you are now simply describing organic life, which cannot exist on the moon? Well, at least you seem to agree that the origin of organic life is uncertain.

At no point have you stated explicitly if the robots were organic or mechanical technology, I have stated all along that I have taken as read your implication that they were mechanical (post 1073) I am glad you understand life cannot exist on the moon! Yes, I agree that how abiogenesis happened is uncertain.

I haven't accepted any hypothesis regarding abiogenesis

Of course you have, you go even further, you take it as a fact that life started spontaneously. Or don't you?

I have clearly stated that there is no evidence to conclude one way or another on the exact mechanism for abiogenesis.

I have an aversion to answering questions when my own are not answered.
    There was no question to answer. I was responding to your statement
    "since this can only mean we have to look for a cause for the abiogenesis of our sky daddy, it only shifts the problem elsewhere and makes it an even larger problem"
    when I said
    "This is not a valid scientific position. A conclusion that there is alien intelligence (for the origin of life, or nanobots) is not contingent on knowing the origin of that alien intelligence. That is a quite different question."
    So, no, I didn't miss your point, and yes, you did duck mine and now you're obfuscating.

If you are going to state that the cause of abiogenesis was a creator then it is a perfectly valid scientific position to ask 'where did the creator come from?' since adding a creator just shifts the problem of abiogenesis elsewhere. When you have answered my point then I will address yours.

Why would I want to read the opinions of a discredited hack whose "science" is on a par with astrology?

Really, does this reflect the quality of information you bring to the argument? Behe is no hack and his science has nothing to do with astrology. He

is a professor of Biochemistry and evidently he is the subject of some blatant smears by his opponents

Behe admitted in court that his definition of science includes astrology (this is a matter of record) as such his opinion as a 'scientist' is of no merit, whenever mr Behe manages to get something peer reviewed in a respected journal I will be interested in what he has to say. I have no interest in his career or his appointments to religious institutions.

• Spook
    Spook

Isn't that exactly what evolution hypothesises about organic life?

No, the original evolutionary hypothesis did not create a new hypothetcal entity. It was based off of a known phenomena, a fact plainly observable to all: Natural selection. The hypothesis was that natural selection accounted for species distribution and adaptive morphology. These were both independant factual observations which begged the question of "how so?" Many predictions were then made, investigated and confirmed. This confirmation provides evidence for the theory. That is how a scientific theory works. The logic of your setup is backwards. That's why pulling the designer out of thin air has always been and will always be illogical and an irrational reason for believing in a designer.

Further, cells are biological by definition. The traits of life (or definition if you preamble with "an entity is alive which posesses all of the following traits") as contained in the original post still hold. You would either find organic life or a synthetic machine...or, I suppose, a virus. Let's not go there.

• BarefootServant
    BarefootServant

Hi Caedes,

Did I mention that I am an engineer? I am more than capable of telling if something is manufactured and hence artificial. On what basis are you telling me that I do not know my job? Other posters have pointed out that genetic manipulation would also be evident.

What a coincidence, I'm also an engineer and I also like to think I'm capable of telling if something is manufactured. The difference between us is that I think it possible that one day it might be very difficult to tell whether something is manufactured. That time is almost upon us with regard to organic life, since, not just genetic manipulation but whole bespoke lifeforms might be designed by a scientist, and it would be very difficult if not impossible to independently determine their origin.

Quoted from your post 41 "On one side the scientists who claim there is sufficient evidence for artificiality and that all can be explained using Darwinian principles, and on the other those who claim that those are just theories and it is more likely that an alien intelligence designed them." A simple apology will suffice!

I'd love to apologise if it would help, but we already covered this and I thought you had got the point. Here it is again: I put those words into the mouths of one of the parties in the debate. I didn't say it. You get the difference, right?

I have clearly stated that there is no evidence to conclude one way or another on the exact mechanism for abiogenesis.

Wriggle wriggle wriggle. The fact is, no matter however it happened, you believe life originated spontaineously.

If you are going to state that the cause of abiogenesis was a creator then it is a perfectly valid scientific position to ask 'where did the creator come from?' since adding a creator just shifts the problem of abiogenesis elsewhere. When you have answered my point then I will address yours.

First, I never stated the cause of abiogenesis was a creator, for one thing that seems to me to be a self contradictory statement. My point is that science is not expected, or responsible, or required to answer all the questions in one go. If it turned out that spontaneous generation of life was proven to be impossible, the problem of the origin of the creator, whether God or some alien intelligence is a separate issue that cannot possibly negate that conclusion. Now, it is perfectly reasonable to ask, where did the creator come from? But first, you have to have reached the conclusion that a creator exists.

Behe admitted in court that his definition of science includes astrology (this is a matter of record) as such his opinion as a 'scientist' is of no merit, whenever mr Behe manages to get something peer reviewed in a respected journal I will be interested in what he has to say. I have no interest in his career or his appointments to religious institutions.

I doubt there's been a single great scientist who wasn't ridiculed by his peers for his scientific views. The character assisination of Behe is evidence that he has rattled the establishment since they have no scientific answer to the facts he has presented. To correct the impression you give, actually Behe is a practising scientist, he is a professor in his field of biochemistry and employed at a university. I'm disapointed that you would dismiss him on the say-so of others without giving him a fair hearing for yourself.

• BarefootServant
    BarefootServant

Hi Spook,

No, the original evolutionary hypothesis did not create a new hypothetcal entity. It was based off of a known phenomena, a fact plainly observable to all: Natural selection.

But this is not the issue at hand, since we agreed (I thought) that natural selection applies to nanotechnological life as well as organic life. The issue at hand is spontaneous generation of life, and in both cases (organic and inorganic origin) that is a hypothetical entity.

That's why pulling the designer out of thin air has always been and will always be illogical and an irrational reason for believing in a designer.

Irrational to believe in a designer, but rational to believe in spontaneous generation? Lol, there's no other profession where it would be regarded as irrational to infer a designer on examining something that has apparently been designed. So, your position is that it would be irrational to believe in alien intelligence should we find advanced lifelike nanotechnology on the moon, so long as we have alternative hypotheses as to their origin.

The traits of life (or definition if you preamble with "an entity is alive which posesses all of the following traits") as contained in the original post still hold. You would either find organic life or a synthetic machine...or, I suppose, a virus. Let's not go there.

Probably best not, since a virus does not fit your definition of life. But you seem to be saying that a 'synthetic machine' could be 'alive'? So the only difference between my nanobots and life is if they can be nominated as synthetic?

• Caedes
    Caedes
    What a coincidence, I'm also an engineer and I also like to think I'm capable of telling if something is manufactured. The difference between us is that I think it possible that one day it might be very difficult to tell whether something is manufactured. That time is almost upon us with regard to organic life, since, not just genetic manipulation but whole bespoke lifeforms might be designed by a scientist, and it would be very difficult if not impossible to independently determine their origin.

In regards to mechanical parts the closer we get to manipulating things at the molecular or even at the atomic level the more obvious it would be that the item was manufactured. With regards to genetic manipulation I am sure someone with a lot of time and money could hide that manipulation by building in errors etc, but by creating an organism that can survive on the moon they would immediately give the game away.

Quoted from your post 41 "On one side the scientists who claim there is sufficient evidence for artificiality and that all can be explained using Darwinian principles, and on the other those who claim that those are just theories and it is more likely that an alien intelligence designed them." A simple apology will suffice!
    I'd love to apologise if it would help, but we already covered this and I thought you had got the point. Here it is again: I put those words into the mouths of one of the parties in the debate. I didn't say it. You get the difference, right?

There is nothing wrong with my English comprehension, but claiming in your hypothetical scenario that some scientists would say that something was just a theory shows that you do not understand the scientific meaning of the word. Do you now accept that even hypothetical scientists would not refer to something as just a theory?

Wriggle wriggle wriggle. The fact is, no matter however it happened, you believe life originated spontaineously.

How on earth is admitting that we do not know for certain, wriggling? The only assumption I would make is that life and the origins of life are the result of entirely natural processes.

First, I never stated the cause of abiogenesis was a creator, for one thing that seems to me to be a self contradictory statement. My point is that science is not expected, or responsible, or required to answer all the questions in one go. If it turned out that spontaneous generation of life was proven to be impossible, the problem of the origin of the creator, whether God or some alien intelligence is a separate issue that cannot possibly negate that conclusion. Now, it is perfectly reasonable to ask, where did the creator come from? But first, you have to have reached the conclusion that a creator exists.

Since you cannot prove that abiogenesis is impossible then the question is rather a moot point.

I doubt there's been a single great scientist who wasn't ridiculed by his peers for his scientific views. The character assisination of Behe is evidence that he has rattled the establishment since they have no scientific answer to the facts he has presented. To correct the impression you give, actually Behe is a practising scientist, he is a professor in his field of biochemistry and employed at a university. I'm disapointed that you would dismiss him on the say-so of others without giving him a fair hearing for yourself.

In the court case I referenced mr Behe was shown over 80 peer reviewed scientific papers that refuted his claim that the immune system was 'irreducibly complex' his comment was that this was insufficient evidence, by his own standards he hasn't written anything that could constitute sufficient evidence since there is not even one peer-reviewed paper on the subject of irreducible complexity . He is hoisted by his own petard not that of anyone else's making. As I stated I would be willing to give him a listen as soon as he gets something peer-reviewed and published until then I dismiss him because he is only writing opinion pieces not because of someone someone elses opinion of him.

• Caedes
    Caedes

No, the original evolutionary hypothesis did not create a new hypothetcal entity. It was based off of a known phenomena, a fact plainly

observable to all: Natural selection.

But this is not the issue at hand, since we agreed (I thought) that natural selection applies to nanotechnological life as well as organic life. The issue

at hand is spontaneous generation of life, and in both cases (organic and inorganic origin) that is a hypothetical entity.

The hypothetical spontaneous generation of technological in-organic life being a hypothesis being one based on no evidence presumably?!

• Gladring
    Gladring

On the subject of Behe - here is a link for the website of the university at which Behe works: http://www.lehigh.edu/bio/news/evolution.htm

Here they make the statement:

"While we respect Prof. Behe's right to express his views, they are his alone and are in no way endorsed by the department. It is our collective position that intelligent design has no basis in science, has not been tested experimentally, and should not be regarded as scientific."

According to the information on this link http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/%5Cnews.aspx?id=15939

" Behe earned tenure at Lehigh before becoming a proponent of intelligent design."

Would Behe have earned tenure if he had been a proponent of ID at the time? Behe is an embarassment to Lehigh, but it is very difficult to remove someone once they have tenure.

• BarefootServant
    BarefootServant

Hi Caedes,

There is nothing wrong with my English comprehension, but claiming in your hypothetical scenario that some scientists would say that something was just a theory shows that you do not understand the scientific meaning of the word. Do you now accept that even hypothetical scientists would not refer to something as just a theory?

Look, first you claim I said something, which I did not. I put it in the mouths of the characters in my story. Now you say I put it in the mouths of the scientists in my story, which I did not. If you look carefully I put it in the mouths of the 'believers' in my story. It's time to admit you're barking up the wrong tree without a paddle.

How on earth is admitting that we do not know for certain, wriggling? The only assumption I would make is that life and the origins of life are the result of entirely natural processes.

Good. So you accept that you have made the assumption that life began spontaneously. A hypothesis for which you have no evidence.

Since you cannot prove that abiogenesis is impossible then the question is rather a moot point.

Likewise, you cannot prove that abiogenesis is possible. It is a matter of faith to you that it happened.

On the Behe thing, I can only suggest you read his latest, The Edge of Evolution. I guarantee you will learn some valuable things from it. One of the most amazing things that comes out of the book is the excellent basis he lays for the theory that diseases such as malaria will become preventable, with no possibility of adaption, by drugs which target three (or more) areas of the parasite instead of one. If he is correct, then one of the biggest problems facing the medical community, the adaption of bacteria to antibiotics will be solved.

All the best,

BFS

• Perry
    Perry

So let me see if I am reading this correctly. I believe with all my being that I will never see a unicorn. One day a unicorn does indeed actually appear to me. I deny that I have seen it, because my belief is so strong that they do not exist, I will attribute the sight to something else?

I just got back from the Creation Museum in Glen Rose, TX last Saturday . They have dozens of artifacts that, if ANY are genuine; then the whole atheist paradigmn collapses.

Analyze this:

http://75.125.60.6/~creatio1/index.php?Itemid=24&id=48&option=com_content&task=view

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit