Article: The Atheist's Dilemma

by BurnTheShips 150 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• beksbks
    beksbks

So let me see if I am reading this correctly. I believe with all my being that I will never see a unicorn. One day a unicorn does indeed actually appear to me. I deny that I have seen it, because my belief is so strong that they do not exist, I will attribute the sight to something else?

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    Interpretation? Some think that we create reality with our minds. They even use the quantum physics collapse of the wave function only by conscious observation as evidence. It makes it seem like the universe is in an infinite state of potential until our minds determine the state it will take.
    Maybe sometimes we don't see the forest for the trees.
    BTS

Isn't this what the article is assuming? Dawkins would interpret the angel as an hallucination because of his mindset and a christian would say it's an angel but it does not change the nature of the angel if it really is an angel, of course.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Stop it, all of you. You're making my head hurt. I no longer care if angels exist. Are you happy?

:-)

• undercover
    undercover
    Dawkins, whose atheism is every bit as zealous as Augustine's Christianity, employs the identical interpretive procedure to reach the opposite conclusion.
    Now Dawkins will object that he, unlike the religious believer, is committed to the methods of "science," and will therefore change his mind when evidence refuting his beliefs appears - but it just so happens none ever has.
    The striking naivete of this viewpoint becomes clear if one asks a simple question: What, for Dawkins, would constitute evidence of God's existence? Suppose an angel of the Lord were to appear before Dawkins, even as he was delivering another lecture on the delusion that God exists. Would such an experience change Dawkins' views?

In a roundabout way, by trying to compare Dawkins interpretive procedure to that of a Christian, or god believer, the writer exposes the faith of the god believer as naive. No one has seen God, spoke to him or has evidence of his existence, yet they still naively believe.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Stop it, all of you. You're making my head hurt. I no longer care if angels exist. Are you happy?

Now I am. :-)

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    No one has seen God, spoke to him or has evidence of his existence, yet they still naively believe.

How do you know this?

• undercover
    undercover

Santa Claus told me...

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Thus the only way someone like Dawkins will ever see any evidence for the existence of God will be if he loses his faith that he never will.

That goes for all faith. My father used to tell me the same when I denied the existence of a current faithful and discreet slave.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    How do you know this?

I have a dilemma for you , what if an entity did talk to you and said it was God how can you be sure it's true? How can God prove itself to us? That for me is the question not that it God actually exist or not, if there is a God how can we be sure the entity in front of us is really God?

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Augustine's first principle of sound interpretation is that an interpretation is sound if it confirms the truth of the Christian faith.

Confirmation bias, anyone?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit