Article: The Atheist's Dilemma

by BurnTheShips 150 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Caedes
    Caedes
    Congratulations, I knew you would get there eventually! You have a fundamental problem in your scenario if you wish to present it to naturalists, which you are well aware of given your unwillingness to present your scenario in more plausible terms.
    Well, no point arguing who got where, are we agreed that my story does not have an absolute solution? There are two views and therefore there is no point in saying that the nanobots are definitely artificial nor definitely natural. This was clear from the outset, and I have no idea why you should say I've been unwilling to do anything, nor what more plausible terms you could want.

I believe that I have already outlined a slightly more plausible scenario for you, myself and others have outlined how it would be possible to recognise a clearly artificial organism.

By the way, no scientist refers to theories as 'just theories' you really need to look up the scientific definition of the word theory and the word hypothesis.
    If you'd read a bit more carefully, it wasn't me saying "just theories", I was putting this in the mouths of one of the parties of the debate and you ought to know that this is indeed what they say.

There is nothing wrong with my English comprehension, I was aware that you were attributing the comment to a character in your scenario, you still need to look up the scientific definition of the word.

I don't seem to believe it, I know what the definition is and I am quite happy with the distinction between the two. No, I would only claim your organic motor to be natural if it was the result of natural processes, if the organic motor was made by humans (or even little green men) then it is artificial by definition. The use of organic or in-organic materials is im-material!
    You're sticking to your story even though it is self contradictory? You say if an organic motor was made by humans then it is artificial. Yet, if you had not been told it was made by humans and instead had discovered it and studied it under an electron microscope, how could you possibly know that it was artificial? It is, after all, made from organic materials, which you imply means it must be natural. Equally, a novel electronic circuit might be designed using Darwinian principles, upon examining such a circuit you would annonce that it is an artificial design. Same with nanobots. In both cases it is your assumptions that lead to your conclusions, not your observations.

There is nothing contradictory in what I have stated.

Others with more knowledge of biology have outlined how it is possible to identify artificial manipulation of DNA.

At what point have I claimed that the use of organic materials implies that something is natural? I have stated the opposite, that the use of organic materials does not automatically make something natural!

The application of a design process using natural selection to an electronic circuit makes no difference to the fact that the circuit is artificial. Material analysis of the circuit would be sufficient to conclude the circuit was artificial with no assumptions required.

All other areas are up for grabs in the scientific world, as long as you can produce empirical evidence to back up a claim then any scientific law or theory can be altered as long as all the existing evidence fits.

I've no problem with that. All I said was that even scientists take some things on faith.

An example of that being?

From my viewpoint we may not have an acceptable hypothesis for abiogenesis for the moment but I see no reason to add a supernatural sky daddy as the cause
    sigh... this is why I asked the question in the first place. In the scenario I presented, the point was whether it was rational for either side to claim certainties. It turned out that you wanted a certainty to start with before you would answer the question, and claimed that this was a problem with my scenario. The only problem is with reality: There are no certainties. As for your faith that there will, one day, be an acceptable theory for abiogenesis, that is of course a rational personal choice.

In fact the more plausible scenario I suggested would have less certainties than the one you outlined.

If you think there are no certainties in life try missing a mortgage payment.

If my faith in the unending curiosity of human beings (being based on constant observation of other human beings) makes you think I have "Faith" in the supernatural, you are mistaken.

since this can only mean we have to look for a cause for the abiogenesis of our sky daddy, it only shifts the problem elsewhere and makes it an even larger problem.
    This is not a valid scientific position. A conclusion that there is alien intelligence (for the origin of life, or nanobots) is not contingent on knowing the origin of that alien intelligence. That is a quite different question.

I think you missed my point entirely.

No, my assertion is supported by the fact that the moon is entirely inhospitable to life, I have conceded the existance of artificial life would be evidence of little green men.
    So you're agreeing that non organic life is possible on the moon (my nanobots), and you agree evolution is possible in any form of life, but that it would have been impossible for that (nanobot) life to have started spontaneously?

Yes (artificial life that is), yes (evolution being used in the scientific sense of course), yes, by definition due to it's artificiality.

I am sure you could purchase the services of a 'scientist' with a purchased degree from some dodgy religious university would make whatever wild claim you wanted.
    I'm not sure what 'wild claim' you're referring to. I presented a hypothetical scenario which, whilst unlikely, is not impossible, and simply asked a coupla simple questions which have been carefully ignored. Ah well.

The wild claim that artificial life can start spontaneously. I don't think I have ignored any of your questions, just defined the conditions before giving an answer.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    and if you read Michael Behe you will see some very interesting challenges to the current theory

From http://pharyngula.org/index/weblog/comments/thank_you_michael_behe/

First, defense expert Professor Fuller agreed that ID aspires to "change the ground rules" of science and lead defense expert Professor Behe admitted that his broadened definition of science, which encompasses ID,would also embrace astrology. Moreover, defense expert Professor Minnich acknowledged that for ID to be considered science, the ground rules of science have to be broadened to allow consideration of supernatural forces.
    We therefore find that Professor Behe's claim for irreducible complexity has been refuted in peer-reviewed research papers and has been rejected by the scientific community at large.
    In fact, on cross-examination, Professor Behe was questioned concerning his 1996 claim that science would never find an evolutionary explanation for the immune system. He was presented with fifty-eight peer-reviewed publications, nine books, and several immunology textbook chapters about the evolution of the immune system; however, he simply insisted that this was still not sufficient evidence of evolution, and that it was not "good enough."

Err no, Mr Behe has been found in court to have no evidence to back up any of his claims. Presumably it had to be in court due to Mr Behe's fear of the peer review system.

I have no confidence that mr Behe is a credible scientist. Sorry.

• Spook
    Spook

Which one of those traits would you say precludes my nanobots from being regarded as life?

Most of them, really. A nanobot is on the scale of 10^-9 (billionith) of a meter. To give you an idea how small that is:

0.1 nm (nanometer) diameter of a hydrogen atom
    0.8 nm Amino Acid
    2 nm Diameter of a DNA Alpha helix
    4 nm Globular Protein
    6 nm microfilaments
    10 nm thickness cell membranes
    11 nm Ribosome
    25 nm Microtubule
    50 nm Nuclear pore
    100 nm Large Virus
    150-250 nm small bacteria such as Mycoplasma
    200 nm Centriole
    200 nm (200 to 500 nm) Lysosomes
    200 nm (200 to 500 nm) Peroxisomes
    800 nm giant virus Mimivirus
    1 µm (micrometer)
    (1 - 10 µm) the general sizes for Prokaryotes
    1 µm Diameter of human nerve cell process
    2 µm E.coli - a bacterium
    3 µm Mitochondrion
    5 µm length of chloroplast
    6 µm (3 - 10 micrometers) the Nucleus
    9 µm Human red blood cell
    10 µm
    (10 - 30 µm) Most Eukaryotic animal cells
    (10 - 100 µm) Most Eukaryotic plant cells
    90 µm small Amoeba

A nanobot would not be composed of cells. And when theorizing about "nanobots" they are usually single functional, like nanotech now (super thin coatings, single strands of carbon, etc.) . The one function being immediately inferrable.

Being single functional, nanobots would not have functional organization, metabolism or homeostasis. I also don't know how you'd really conceive of them growing or reproducing.

To repeat my statement about design: If an unexplained entity or occurance X appears non-natural for some characteristic Y, it can only appear so by comparison to the set of known natural entities or occurances, Z. Z, for the sake of discussion, could be all, some or none of all entities or occurances. What you're missing is that X is the entity which requires explanation. There are infinite hypothetical explanations for X posessing Y. Postulating an additional "designer" does nothing but create a hypothetical entity for which there is no evidence.

This teleological argument has been thoroughly trounced for several hundred years.

• BarefootServant
    BarefootServant
    A nanobot would not be composed of cells. And when theorizing about "nanobots" they are usually single functional, like nanotech now (super thin coatings, single strands of carbon, etc.) . The one function being immediately inferrable.

I don't know why you say a nanobot would not be composed of cells. Actually, the moon nanobots are composed of cells, there are groups of machines within a cellular protective structure, that's one of the amazing things about them. I did say that my nanobots are far more advanced than anything humans have on the drawing board.

Being single functional, nanobots would not have functional organization, metabolism or homeostasis. I also don't know how you'd really conceive of them growing or reproducing.

The individual nanobots, at the sub-cellular level, have specific functions. One of the functions at this 'cellular' level is to be able to create new groups of nanobots which are split off to create new cells. Groups of different types of nanocell are organised to provide higher functions which convert raw materials for energy and to synthesise into materials for building work. Thus they grow and reproduce.

Now as far as I can see there is nothing here that says my nanobots are not a form of life (please don't get pedantic about size, which wasn't mentioned in your life 'traits').

If an unexplained entity or occurance X appears non-natural for some characteristic Y, it can only appear so by comparison to the set of known natural entities or occurances, Z. Z, for the sake of discussion, could be all, some or none of all entities or occurances. What you're missing is that X is the entity which requires explanation. There are infinite hypothetical explanations for X posessing Y. Postulating an additional "designer" does nothing but create a hypothetical entity for which there is no evidence.

This looks great but rests on an assertion that what is natural is "known". It is thus a circular argument, and meaningless.

• BarefootServant
    BarefootServant

Hi Caedes,

I believe that I have already outlined a slightly more plausible scenario for you, myself and others have outlined how it would be possible to recognise a clearly artificial organism.

Really? So if I put a piece of goo in front of you, you can tell me with certainty whether it is artificial or natural? Er, no, you cannot, as I believe you admit later. The 'recognition' system you have proposed is based on nothing but assumptions.

There is nothing wrong with my English comprehension, I was aware that you were attributing the comment to a character in your scenario, you still need to look up the scientific definition of the word.

Thank you, but I know what the word means.

I have stated the opposite, that the use of organic materials does not automatically make something natural!

Good, then following the same logic you should also be able to agree that the use of inorganic materials does not automatically make it something artificial.

The application of a design process using natural selection to an electronic circuit makes no difference to the fact that the circuit is artificial. Material analysis of the circuit would be sufficient to conclude the circuit was artificial with no assumptions required.

Actually, that is still an assumption, unless you saw the person making it. But a reasonable one. But I was referring to the design itself rather than the physical item. You cannot know, for sure, whether the circuitry and software running your computer right now was designed by a human or is the result of evolutionary processess. With your convictions, that is what you must believe.

I gave several previously.

In fact the more plausible scenario I suggested would have less certainties than the one you outlined.

Please explain how defining at the start that my nanobots are/are not artificial adds uncertainty.

If my faith in the unending curiosity of human beings (being based on constant observation of other human beings) makes you think I have "Faith" in the supernatural, you are mistaken.

What I said was that you have faith that one day there will be a scientific explanation for abiogenesis - or do you think that that is a supernatural explanation?

I think you ducked my point entirely.

The wild claim that artificial life can start spontaneously.

LOL! You think that claim is wild, yet you are quite happy to accept the hypothesis that organic life started spontaneously.

So you haven't read his books for yourself. Shame.

Cheers,

BFS

• Caedes
    Caedes
    Really? So if I put a piece of goo in front of you, you can tell me with certainty whether it is artificial or natural? Er, no, you cannot, as I believe you admit later. The 'recognition' system you have proposed is based on nothing but assumptions.

No, you would have to get a biologist to look at it, if it were a miniature robot then yes I could. The only assumption I have made is that the your hypothetical scenario is based on real world physics.

Thank you, but I know what the word means.

If you did, you would understand why no scientists would say something was "just a theory".

I have stated the opposite, that the use of organic materials does not automatically make something natural!
    Good, then following the same logic you should also be able to agree that the use of inorganic materials does not automatically make it something artificial.

Agreed.

Actually, that is still an assumption, unless you saw the person making it. But a reasonable one. But I was referring to the design itself
    rather than the physical item. You cannot know, for sure, whether the circuitry and software running your computer right now was

designed by a human or is the result of evolutionary processess. With your convictions, that is what you must believe.

No, it isn't. If you believe otherwise then there is probably no point in continuing this debate. The design process used is irrelevant to the fact that the item is artificial unless of course your nanobots are now just design ideas floating around in the ether?!

I gave several previously.

No, you havent given even one solid example of how science is based on assumptions other than the assumptions we live by.

Please explain how defining at the start that my nanobots are/are not artificial adds uncertainty.

Starting with a planet with a developed eco-system and robots that were entirely organic would give a great deal of uncertainty, your scenario with artificial robots is absolutely certain.

What I said was that you have faith that one day there will be a scientific explanation for abiogenesis - or do you think that that is a supernatural explanation?

No, I dont.

I think you ducked my point entirely.

I have an aversion to answering questions when my own are not answered.

The wild claim that artificial life can start spontaneously.
    LOL! You think that claim is wild, yet you are quite happy to accept the hypothesis that organic life started spontaneously.

I haven't accepted any hypothesis regarding abiogenesis, I think it is an interesting area but until there is a concrete theory then I am happy that we do not know anything other than there is no supernatural explanation.

So you haven't read his books for yourself. Shame.

Why would I want to read the opinions of a discredited hack whose "science" is on a par with astrology?

• Spook
    Spook
    I don't know why you say a nanobot would not be composed of cells. Actually, the moon nanobots are composed of cells, there are groups of machines within a cellular protective structure, that's one of the amazing things about them. I did say that my nanobots are far more advanced than anything humans have on the drawing board.

Fine, you have very small robots with no nano-techknowledgy. Cells are biological, so you're not talking about bots at all.

The individual nanobots, at the sub-cellular level, have specific functions. One of the functions at this 'cellular' level is to be able to create new groups of nanobots which are split off to create new cells. Groups of different types of nanocell are organised to provide higher functions which convert raw materials for energy and to synthesise into materials for building work. Thus they grow and reproduce.

Now as far as I can see there is nothing here that says my nanobots are not a form of life (please don't get pedantic about size, which wasn't mentioned in your life 'traits').

You either have very small robots (synthetic non-life) or you have organisms.

If an unexplained entity or occurance X appears non-natural for some characteristic Y, it can only appear so by comparison to the set of known natural entities or occurances, Z. Z, for the sake of discussion, could be all, some or none of all entities or occurances. What you're missing is that X is the entity which requires explanation. There are infinite hypothetical explanations for X posessing Y. Postulating an additional "designer" does nothing but create a hypothetical entity for which there is no evidence.

This looks great but rests on an assertion that what is natural is "known". It is thus a circular argument, and meaningless.

If there are no objects which are known to be natural then there is no possible comparison between natural and designed objects so your argument is self defeating. The only sense in which your argument makes any sense is if there are some objects of known design and some objects of known naturality.

The bottom line is that in your illustration ...

1. The fact is the presence of "nanobots."

2. Seeking to explain this, you form an hypothesis.

3. The factthat there are "nanobots" can not be evidence for this hypothesis used to explain the existence of nanobots. Because "nanobots" are the artifact in question.

4. If you already knew aliens existed for sure as a fact, but were unsure if they had created nanobots, then and only could you use the traits of the "nanobots" by comparison to OTHER objects of known alien design and create an argument from comparison that aliens created the nanobots.

• crashfire451
    crashfire451

Does anyone else thoroughly enjoy reading the first few posts in a thread and then skipping to the last few? The evolution of any given thread never ceases to amaze me, nor does the wealth of varied knowledge and experience that the members here bring to the table. I've been offline for a few months and trying to catch up with the different debate topics is almost as fun as searching a used bookstore for an overlooked treasure.

• BarefootServant
    BarefootServant

Caedes,

No, you would have to get a biologist to look at it, if it were a miniature robot then yes I could.

The point is that neither you nor a biologist can say for certain whether a biological object is designed or natural. In principle, the same uncertainty must apply to inanimate objects too.

If you did, you would understand why no scientists would say something was "just a theory".

I never said scientists would say something was "just a theory". Please do not misquote me.

Starting with a planet with a developed eco-system and robots that were entirely organic would give a great deal of uncertainty, your scenario with artificial robots is absolutely certain.

One more time: They are not artificial robots. They evolved. So they say. But you prefer organic robots? So there is great uncertainty as to whether they evolved or were created? You realise you are now simply describing organic life, which cannot exist on the moon? Well, at least you seem to agree that the origin of organic life is uncertain.

I haven't accepted any hypothesis regarding abiogenesis

Of course you have, you go even further, you take it as a fact that life started spontaneously. Or don't you?

I have an aversion to answering questions when my own are not answered.

There was no question to answer. I was responding to your statement

"since this can only mean we have to look for a cause for the abiogenesis of our sky daddy, it only shifts the problem elsewhere and makes it an even larger problem"

when I said

"This is not a valid scientific position. A conclusion that there is alien intelligence (for the origin of life, or nanobots) is not contingent on knowing the origin of that alien intelligence. That is a quite different question."

So, no, I didn't miss your point, and yes, you did duck mine and now you're obfuscating.

Why would I want to read the opinions of a discredited hack whose "science" is on a par with astrology?

Really, does this reflect the quality of information you bring to the argument? Behe is no hack and his science has nothing to do with astrology. He is a professor of Biochemistry and evidently he is the subject of some blatant smears by his opponents:

Michael J. Behe (born 1952) is an Americanbiochemist and intelligent design advocate. He currently serves as professor of biochemistry at Lehigh University in Pennsylvania and as a senior fellow of the Discovery Institute'sCenter for Science and Culture.
  • BarefootServant
    BarefootServant

Hi Spook,

Fine, you have very small robots with no nano-techknowledgy. Cells are biological, so you're not talking about bots at all.

Why do cells have to be 'biological'? The arrangement works very well for organic life forms, why should it not also work for inorganic life forms?

You either have very small robots (synthetic non-life) or you have organisms.

'organism' would seem to be a combination of 'organic' and 'ismitsm' (old red-indian word for active), so no, I don't suppose you can have an inorganic organism. But my nanobots meet your original criteria for life, so why are you kvetching about it now?

The bottom line is that in your illustration ...
    1. The fact is the presence of "nanobots."

Check!

2. Seeking to explain this, you form an hypothesis.

Check!

3. The factthat there are "nanobots" can not be evidence for this hypothesis used to explain the existence of nanobots. Because "nanobots" are the artifact in question.

What hypothesis? That an inorganic 'life' form can originate and evolve? Isn't that exactly what evolution hypothesises about organic life? On exactly the same premise but inversed? Or do you mean the hypothesis that someone designed them and put them there?

4. If you already knew aliens existed for sure as a fact, but were unsure if they had created nanobots, then and only could you use the traits of the "nanobots" by comparison to OTHER objects of known alien design and create an argument from comparison that aliens created the nanobots.

Eh? We can only create an-argument-from-comparison that aliens created the nanobots if we already knew aliens existed for sure as a fact and already have some artifacts that we know for a fact they designed? Well, we won't 'cos we don't and we don't. Now what?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit