ExJWs either BAs or atheists -- do you agree?

by parakeet 32 Replies latest jw friends

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

So, here are the questions:

1. Do you agree that exJWs tend to gravitate to either of two opposite points of view -- BA Christians and atheists/agnostics?

2. If you agree, how do you account for it?

3. If you don't agree, please explain why.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble; just trying to satisfy the itch of curiosity (and maybe gain a few insights about myself and other exJWs).

parakeet

I think that most xjws occupy a sort of middle ground - they'll look into all kinds of religions and spiritualities and don't normally roost anywhere. Thats just my impression and its where I am at present. The wonderful thing about having been a witness is that it emphasizes the wonderfulness of being up in the air as it were.

• parakeet
    parakeet

mkr: "As to your original post I would say there are some problems with it in that on your looking at a very limited sample. How many Xjw's are regular posters on this site? Couple thousand? How many Xjw's are there? Couple million? I would say that those of us on here do NOT represent a good sampling."

Very true, but you guys are all I've got. I don't have the time, means, inclination, or skill to construct and conduct a survey of a random representative sample of the entire exJW population. Nor do I have the skill to crunch and interpret the numbers, even if I could conduct such a survey.

I'm just looking for some anecdotal evidence, however unreliable it may be.

Thanks for responding, and for IP_SEC, inkling, Awakened at Gilead, and hamilcarr's responses, too.

Thank you, too, quietlyleaving.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am an agnostic. I don't think of myself as atheist. Nor do I believe that agnostics and atheists should be part of the same group. How about Budhists? Where do they fit in?

Actually, I do not want to be type casted as anything. I will answer D - none of the above.

• megaflower
    megaflower

Personally, After having spent over 20 years as a JW I can no longer tolerate religion. I see it this way, there is a difference between God and religion. Religion is manmade and they like to add, subtract and put thier own twist on things. I still believe in God and try to be a good person. Iam very sour on religion/going to church.

• parakeet
    parakeet

NewYork44M: "Actually, I do not want to be type casted as anything."

My intent is to look for generalities among the exJWs here, not to typecast any particular person.

NY44M: "I will answer D - none of the above."

As you are entitled to do. Thanks for responding.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Moshe and Robdar went to Judaism.

We've got all kinds in the family.

BTS

• parakeet
    parakeet

Awakened at Gilead: "I think there are a number of ExJWs who consider themselves independent Xians without being part of any Xian church or movement..."

You have a good point. I should have phrased my first question to read "Christians unaffiliated with mainstream Christian religions" rather than "BA Christians."

Quietlyleaving: "The wonderful thing about having been a witness is that it emphasizes the wonderfulness of being up in the air as it were."

My brother, also an exJW, is still very bitter about JWs and how he was treated, even though it happened many years ago. I often try to soften his bitterness with statements like yours. I remind him that our freedom was hard-won, and that's something to be proud of. I also tell him that at least we didn't have "boring," ordinary childhoods. And our experience sharpened our ability to detect deceit in religion, politics, and other groups that claim to be "correct." Even after 30 years of getting out of the cult, I still relish the feeling of freedom that was so frowned on by JWs.

• wobble
    wobble

I lean towards Megaflowers position,I think ALL religions,in the sense of organised,have a denominational name etc. are made by Men for men and ALL contain error!

I still believe in God,but call myself a Scientific christian,in the sense that, as with science, if facts come along that change or disprove a hypothesis or a theory,you go along with the facts.

I approach my belief in a similar way,not to say that it rests on facts,but that I am willing to change when compelling argument comes along.

Having said that I still have a faith in God (i.e irrational)

Not Born Again though,I havn't had a dramatic "encounter" with Jesus, I do believe that he is the Way,Truth and Life,and truly God.

Love

Wobble

• parakeet
    parakeet

BTS: "Moshe and Robdar went to Judaism. We've got all kinds in the family."

That's right; I forgot about them. What I'm looking for, however, are not what specific posters did or didn't do, but what exJW posters in general do. I'm looking for trends, not for any particular individual's actions. On the whole, do you think exJWs, in general, tend to gravitate toward individual Christianity or toward atheism/agnosticism? (I know they're not the same, NY44M, but they're closer to each other than to Christianity.)

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Every Baptist I have ever met was a born again believer.

Here in Florida Baptist and born again are synonyomous.

As long as someone is concious and aware they will keep changing religions,

Because relgions and beliefs are all bullshxt. All of them all the theories have

very big gapping holes.

When one is lulled back to sleep they will be comfortable with their belief.

And I consider atheism a religious belief also.

The only honest person is an agnostic.

Agnostic means one doesnt know.

Which is the same as being an aware human.

Which is an enigma.

Like life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit