ExJWs either BAs or atheists -- do you agree?

by parakeet 32 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

A week or two ago, a poster (I forget who; sorry) noted that exJWs tend to fall into two camps -- born-again Christians or atheists/agnostics. There doesn't appear to be much of a middle ground, e.g. joining a traditional, mainstream religion.

The observation has some merit to it. In the two years I've been reading and posting in this forum, I don't remember any posts from exJW Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, or other "ordinary" religions. I wonder why that is.

I'm not sure how to account for the discrepancy, if it exists. Perhaps the terrible experience of having been a JW leaves one with the attitude of "no more religion or God for me. From now on, I want proof." In the case of Born-Agains, do they miss the "closeness," however shallow, that JWs provided, and want to find it again somewhere else? I truly don't know and am wondering if others can provide some insight.

So, here are the questions:

1. Do you agree that exJWs tend to gravitate to either of two opposite points of view -- BA Christians and atheists/agnostics?

2. If you agree, how do you account for it?

3. If you don't agree, please explain why.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble; just trying to satisfy the itch of curiosity (and maybe gain a few insights about myself and other exJWs).

Thanks.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Just wait until the exJW catholics wake up and you'll get overwhelmed with evidence of apostolic succession and papal infallibility.

• inkling
    inkling
    Just wait until the exJW catholics wake up and you'll get overwhelmed with evidence of apostolic succession and papal infallibility.

Yeah, you can't get much more "mainstream" than Catholic.

Of course, I'm not sure how many of the "BurnTheShips" model of XJWS have been made...

They might have broken the mold after making him.

[inkling]

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I think there are a number of ExJWs who consider themselves independent Xians without being part of any Xian church or movement...

• inkling
    inkling
    I think there are a number of ExJWs who consider themselves independent Xians without being part of any Xian church or movement...

Ranging from "Snowbird" almost-born again-type, to... hm, i'm trying to think of a independent liberal Christian poster...

I can't think or her name at the moment.

Anyone?

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Birdbrains "almost born again?"

She's so hot for Jesus she's practically on fire! That hippie's eaten some bad birdseed!

As to your original post I would say there are some problems with it in that on your looking at a very limited sample. How many Xjw's are regular posters on this site? Couple thousand? How many Xjw's are there? Couple million? I would say that those of us on here do NOT represent a good sampling.

If I had to guess (in all my wisdom) I would say MOST Xjw's just go off and live their lives with a general "I'm a christian I guess, but I don't go to church or anything..." attitude.

What do I base that on? Jack and squat!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Snowbird is wrong. She is not 'birdbrains' nor is she stupid.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

We've had a quite a number of New Age/Buddhist types in the past. Atheists and Born Agains stand out because they tend to be the noisiest.

I'm just noisy.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Snowbird is a sharp lady. I hope she doesn't see this.

BTS

• I quit!
    I quit!

Maybe they're here but not a as loud and dogmatic about their beliefs as some of the others you have mentioned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit