Did Jehovah's Witnesses "Do A Job" On You?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

It's good to see the healing.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I know it affected me but I'm not damaged goods from it. (I think).

...says the highest count poster ever.

Mentally, they convinced me how to think, how to feel, how to behave. I was a total believer
    looking for Armageddon for the first 6 years or so, then I started realizing problems with it.
    Fear kept me in for quite awhile after that. So, yes- mentally, they did a job on me.

Spiritually, they did a number on me, but it ain't really a total "job" on their part. I was atheist
    before I started believing, I had a personal experience that made me think there was a god,
    after leaving JW's I returned to atheism. The main thing is that, typically, I am repelled by
    the very idea of "spiritualism" when tied to religion.

I had some funny comments about "sexually" but too many here actually were taken advantage
    of by the JW's. Let's just say they got into the bedroom rules.

I don't really regret any physical activities I was involved in, except that they were for the wrong
    organization. Materially, similar, but I wish I just kept any donations and the cost of hotel stays
    and travel.

• Gozz
    Gozz

My moderate angst with the JW religion is how is wasted my time. As for now, there's nothing like a hold. The elders attempt to make themselves relevant, I just ignore them. This appears to really hurt them, because they try harder and harder to be nicer and nicer. I remain just "nice" and polite. The other day, an elder was asking if I wasn't bothered that JWs don't appear to be talking with me anymore; the answer was "should I be"? Silence. I've gotten busy, and JWs and JW-related activity represents a tiny fraction of issues that bother me. And I'm getting curious, since one elder has started to become a buddy; simple things; added me on his gmail address chat list; I accepted. He's yet to send any message though. Since leaving the JWs, life's become easier, health's improved, BP's gone right down, & I've got more friends and associates. What's one not to be thankful for?

And, er, last time someone mentioned JWs coming to their home (rare, in my area), I'd given them enough to engage the JWs. Thankfully, every decent human I know is horrified by a religious group harbouring and protecting molesters of children.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Physically: I gained back the 40 pounds I lost in college within the first 6 months, after having kept that weight off for almost 5 years.

Mentally: Not really--I kept integrating what they were doing with reality--and I could see that they never were satisfied. I also refused to pio-sneer because of being hounded, because of how often I heard that it has to be voluntary or it doesn't count (and, once they hounded me, it is not voluntary--they effectively ruined their chances of my pio-sneering by hounding me to).

What they did that was completely unforgivable was to promise me the opposite sex, and then deliberately break that promise. They told me to just meet other men, after making the promise of getting me in with women (which they had no intention of ever doing). They just wanted for me to go through the Value Destroyer Training School, get a billion assignments at the same time, accept every single one of them (you never reject an assignment for any reason), and successfully get the whole world into the cancer and start the Second Dark Ages. And now all they have is an apostate that is going to do whatever I can to waste their time and energy while undermining people's belief in the whole core scam that they are preying on (if people don't believe in Original Sin, they are not going to become Jehovah's Witlesses).

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

yes,yes,yes,yes,yes,yes, and etc

• minimus
    minimus

_Posting a lot doesn't make you damaged goods.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

They did a hand job on me.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    They did a hand job on me.

Lucky bastard! I never got any of those!

W

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Like a plague...

• Bubblie
    Bubblie

They convinced me I was happy, when I wasn't. They told me I was going to be protected but wasn't. They told me they knew what the bible said but they didn't. I don't think I can ever believe in the bible being the only book that tells us about the Almighty. They pretty much screwed me up.

Kit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit