It's Pancake Day! Shrove Tuesday!

by free2think 24 Replies latest jw friends

• free2think
    free2think

Happy Pancake Day everyone.

I started my pancake day last night really, lol. Had some chocolate ones for pudding.

Today i have the traditional one's, lemon and sugar. Delish!

Who else is partaking?

For those who don't know what this is here's some info:

Shrove Tuesday is a term used in Ireland, the United Kingdom, [ 1 ] and Australia [ 2 ] for the day preceding the first day of the Christian season of fasting and prayer called Lent.

The word shrove is the past tense of the English verb shrive, which means to obtain absolution for one's sins by way of Confession and doing penance. Thus Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the shriving that English Christians were expected to do prior to receiving absolution immediately before Lent begins. Shrove Tuesday is the last day of "shrovetide", the English equivalent to the Carnival tradition that developed separately in countries of Latin Europe. The term "Shrove Tuesday" is no longer widely known in the United States outside of Liturgical Traditions, such as the Lutheran, Episcopal, and Roman Catholic Churches. [ 3 ] [ 4 ] Because of the increase in many immigrant populations and traditions since the 19th century "Mardi Gras" is much more widely-used.

The festival is widely associated with the eating of foods such as pancakes, and often known simply as Pancake Day, originally because these used up ingredients such as fat and eggs, the consumption of which was traditionally restricted during Lent.

• Caedes
    Caedes

I shall be doing savoury chicken and mushroom pancakes for tea tonight.

I love pancake day!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Well I ate the baked pancake I mentioned to you. I'm not proud of it.

I only had whole wheat flour in the cupboard, and as big of a fan as I am of whole wheat flour, it isn't right for this recipe. It is sitting in my intestine like a hockey puck.

When you say you had chocolate pancakes for pudding, do you mean you had them for dessert, or you had them with pudding?

• Priest73
    Priest73

Again? Didn't you whacky Brits do this just last year?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I'm having cheese blintzes tonight.

W

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Damn these food threads! This made me hungry and now I'm eating my lunch already - 1 1/2 hours early.

W

• free2think
    free2think

LOL sorry FF. Those pancakes look lovely tho.

I meant as dessert R8.

Priest: funny that.

Caedes that sounds lovely. I'll be there soon.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Those look like crepes.

I fixed pancakes this morning, not even knowing about this tradition. When is Mardi Gras? Am I too late for it?

• free2think
    free2think
    Those look like crepes.

Yeah i know, but i was letting him off.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Just looked it up and found that Shrove Tuesday is celbrated or observed in the UK and Ireland. We have Mardi Gras here, and it's TODAY! Didn't know about the other names, and it's not even in the local news!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit