Questions for FormerMormon

by rebel8 22 Replies latest jw friends

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

These days yes, it was just symbolic. Back in horny Joes day, the "Council of Fifty" took it a lot more serious. Brigham and his teachings on "blood atonement" also took it literally.

Fortunately the descendents of these bastards (mormon aristocracy) appear to be less ruthless and better business managers than their forebears.

In case you are interested, blood atonement as taught by Young implied that there were some sins so bad that it required the spilling(death) of the sinners blood. He even taught that if you really loved the church's enemies, you could help them gain forgiveness by spilling their blood for them as an act of love. How nice.

No kidding.

I love my parents, but you can't choose your ancestors.

• poppers
    poppers

"In case you are interested, blood atonement as taught by Young implied that there were some sins so bad that it required the spilling(death) of the sinners blood. He even taught that if you really loved the church's enemies, you could help them gain forgiveness by spilling their blood for them as an act of love. How nice."

Wow - that's pretty twisted.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Here I am at the birthplace of Joseph Smith in Vermont. They have built erected a large monument to him. Symbols have meaning and you can see what association the Prophet had.

I like showing this and my guilded Book of Mormon with reformed Egyptian scriblling on the cover to missionaries who stop by to convert me.

birthplace of Mormon founder Joseph Smith

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit