Questions for FormerMormon

by rebel8 22 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

You accumulate additional wives through attrition or serial monogamy.

I didn't want to threadjack, so I started a separate thread.

Do you get all the previous wives back in the afterlife?

I recently read you get your own family in the afterlife, to share with your 4+ wives and spirit children. Is it only the kids who are ghosts? How do the kids find their own spouses?

And what is the back-story of ancestry.com? They are running expensive ads to get people to sign up for free. What's in it for them?

• rebel8
    rebel8

bttt

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

In the celestial world, families are all united if they are 'sealed' in the temple. Themore you have, the bigger your family and connections. If a person is sealed to four wives, they get the four wives-and all the kids. Like a big matrix. I am not really sure where God fits into the celestial (exalted) heavens.

This link takes you to a Wiki article on the subject of ancestry.com

So far as the signing up thing, not sure, but classmates and reunion let you sign up for free, but it then costs money to get any useful information out of them. That might be the case here also.

I hope that helps a little.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I hope that helps a little.

No it doesn't. There's no juicy stuff in there at all. I want the juicy stuff. j/k

Wiki says the parents live on a planet together with their spirit children. So a husband and 4+ wives live on a planet with tiny ghosts floating around?

I wonder what dating's like when you have to take a spaceship to meet anyone who's not related to you?

Re the web site--I have had a subscription that's near impossible to cancel. They also use your email addy w/o permission to spam you with constant emails (even if you opted out). They only ceased when I wrote a wacky email asking if they were trying to get me involved in a dangerous polygamy cult.

I suspect their main purpose is to get your family tree info from your registration so they can baptize your dead and living relatives into their church. There is little explanation for what they're doing otherwise. I know they have paid subscriptions but I am skeptical that revenue covers what they're spending. Ads on TV and the Internet, booths at major events, I know I've seen at least a good million $ of promotional spending.

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

According to their theory, men accumulate wives in a number of ways. In this life, they can be accumulated through attrition. They can also be accumulated by a divorce WITHOUT having the Temple sealing cancelled. Kinda a two tiered marriage (Married AND sealed -- two different things)

Like Big Love, early temporal marriages could be reassigned at the discretion of the "prophet". The tragic case of Zina Huntington Jacobs Smith Young is particularly heartwrenching(she had three husbands-- in the end, Brigham YOUNG excluded the others). Her sister Prescendia was also summarily reassigned. No divorce needed. Most times, the husband wouldn't be notified. He would discover on his own that his wife had been hijacked and taken. Not surprisingly, these hotties were "reassigned" to the "Prophet" and to an "Apostle" respectively. The mainstream LDS haven't practiced "reassignment" of wives since Smith and Young's days.

Brigham actually taught that women could "trade up" if they liked a man higher up in the priesthood. He actually taught that the former husband should just let it go and that no divorce was necessary. She could just start humping her new husband. (October 1861 conference) I guess Brigham didn't want the expense/trouble of all those marriages. He wouldn't even dignify some of his women with a marriage. (this should give you an idea of how women were treated in the church)

The church does actively teach that faithful wives of unfaithful husbands will be "reassigned" to a more worthy husband in the hereafter. My wife was terrified of this (until she saw the light). She was afraid I wouldn't be there because of my many questions. She was going to be reassigned and she didn't want that. The "pro family" LDS church is MASTER at splitting up families. They actively teach that the church is more important than wife or husband, son, daughter etc. In fact, the Temple wedding ceremony is a recommitment of each to the church. That is the focus of the ceremony, not love, not romance, not each other. Really disturbing. The church has NO problem wedging between spouses in order to leverage the doubter back into church. The LDS church has no proper boundaries.

In the hereafter, you make spirit babies with your many wives. You are a shitty parent as 1/3 grow up into open, violent rebellion against "dad" and their moms. These rebellious spirits get their asses kicked out of heaven so they can tempt your remaining kids when they are born into their new earth(as devils). After judgement, the rebellious spirits, along with Mormon Apostates like me are summarily discarded, their usefulness ended (Thanks Father)

Judgement separates people into the "Celestial"(best), "Terrestrial", and "Telestial". (I get outer darkness) The celestial kingdumb is where the most faithful go. If you are like Brigham, you can have wives in THE MILLIONS (he used those words). The Terrestrial kingdom is where christians of other faiths go. The Telestial kingdumb is where liars, murderers and masturbators go. Sexual sins are taught to be NEXT TO MURDER IN SERIOUSNESS. It is taught in the LDS church that it is better that you DIE fighting a rapist, and come home in a pine box, than to survive a rape. My wife is a rape survivor. She struggled with this doctrine for years, spoke with high authorities on it. They never rescinded, nor nullified their pernicious beliefs on rape. It helped get my wife out of that cult.

Somehow in the Celestial kindumb, we all live as families. I and my wife and kids. One big happy family. But somehow, my sons and their wives are to have their own families too. It was never clarified how we were all to live as a family when we all had our own separate families. One big house???

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Whoa, I just got a major headache trying to wrap my mind around that teaching! Thanks for sharing that, its interesting. Seems like the LDS has the same problems with their teachings on the "ever after" as the JWs has with the "paradise earth" teaching. Neither can handle practical, simple questions.

Bottom line, I can see the LDS is just as big a cult as the JWs because the theme of both is to put the religion above any personal relationship. They do the exact same thing about trying to leaverage the believer against the doubter and there have been cases where elders have encouraged the believing spouse to leave on the grounds of "spiritual endangerment".

Really interesting regarding the wedding ceremony. The JW ceremony doesn't go quite as far as the LDS but does really stress that in their opinion, no marriage can be sucessful without "God" (they really mean the WTS). More time is spent on each persons duties as opposed to the celebration of the couples love.

BTW - My wife & I regularly watch Big Love. I slip in comparisons to JWs all the time (not the polygamy but the other stuff).

• poppers
    poppers

Interesting as well as disturbing stuff, FormerMormon.

They only ceased when I wrote a wacky email asking if they were trying to get me involved in a dangerous polygamy cult.

LOL! Clever thinking!

• aniron
    aniron

I came across the following on another forum by an ex-Mormon.

According to Mormon theology , a male member who lives together with a female member without being married, are subject to disciplinary action from the church and cannot enter the Temple and be sealed for all eternity as husband and wife.

If this couple however get married, and therefore become lawfully husband and wife, if they show that they are members in a good standing with the church, they can receive a recomendation from their bishop and stake president to enter the Temple and be sealed as husband and wife.

Imagining that down the road these beautiful Mormon couple would end up their realtionship and therefore get divorced, anyone who does not know the church would imagine that their Temple sealing would also be broken or annulated. However that does not happen and the church (unless in extrem cases) encourages the couple to keep their Temple sealing as an important ordinance and will only be broke if they find another partner form the church, gets married and are ready to be sealed to him as well.

So in another words this is in a very simple short sentence what Mormon doctrine says:

An unmarried couple cannot be sealed in the Temple

yet

An unmarried couple can be sealed in the Temple.

To me it sounds an exact opposite being taken and treated equally.

• parakeet
    parakeet

It's amazing what two men with overactive penises accomplished. And they had the moxie to get others to believe their fairy tales, too.

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

Aniron,

An (UNWORTHY) unmarried couple cannot be sealed in the Temple

yet

An unmarried couple can be sealed in the Temple.

It's funny to read postmormon stories of all the people who were screwing around and unworthy, yet DID get married in the Temple. For some reason, the powers of "discernment" keep failing time and time again.

Same cult. Different flavors.

Yes, Big Love Rocks!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit