What did you find upset elders the most ?

by KAYTEE 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Well... one experience that I remember - from when I was a kiddo... the 'elders' told my mom that she couldn't rent a building and have square dancing for the folks (JWs). They gave her all sorts of 'reasons'.

My mom (and my older sisters), researched the issue (this was in the mid 60's - before the DVDs of info - so they had to use the bound volumes), and using this research, sent a letter to Brooklyn - asking them if it was okay.

They actually got a letter back, saying it was okay. Another meeting was called... and this time my mother presented the letter (or a copy of it) to these fellas to read. Well... you could just see the steam pouring outta this one fellas ears. He didn't like it one bit that a 'sister' went over his head - and authority - and wrote a letter to Brooklyn.

He found other 'reasons' that made it not okay - regardless of the letter.

Pretty funny - in retrospect. It was mainly the C.O., too. The other two fellas there - had to be in agreement... but you could see one of them was just going along with the majority... cuz he had had fun at the square dance party.

Oh well.

• carla
    carla

"Inquire as to how their 'friend of the court', Jimmy Swaggart is doing. "-- haha, my r & f jw does not appreciate that one either!

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Well done all, and so honestly put,

Mary, great stuff………………I don’t know who Jimmy swaggart is ?

KT

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

What upsets elders the most?

Christian Freedom!

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• fokyc
    fokyc

Kaytee:

Re:Jimmy Swaggart Ministries and JW's

This is right up your street, a lovely court case, one report is here:

http://www.geocities.com/paulblizard/jimmy.html

It has to do with charging for literature etc back in the 80's

Typical JW behaviour, changing their mind etc.

fokyc

PS We didn't share the same elders, they were/are quite close and there were some in both congs who knew each other as you are well aware! (Both Bobs if I remember)

• sir82
    sir82

In my experience: Disrespecting their "authority".

Both in explict ways, e.g. directly defying them, and in implicit ways (such as ignoring counsel they had previously given and repeating some mistake).

Many many many of them view themselves as "God's right arm" and expect almost reverential deference.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I called a Ministerial Servant on his BS one time and the PO came down on me hard for "counseling" an appointed servant. I let him have it both barrells. "Show me that in the Bible" I asked. He had no answer. He was pissed at me for 15 years because I wouldn't bow to his superior position in the congregation. Twit. W.Once

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

I agree. Directly challenging their imagined authority is the number one cause for their irritation. They are irritated, not because you challenged them, but because they don't have a valid response. If you fornicated, okay, they can scriptually support why that's wrong. If you stabbed your next door neighbor in the neck, they can show you in the Bible why that was not a wise decision. But if the elders have an "understanding" that jackets should match pants or that soul patches are not allowed and you decide to buck their authority, they are enraged beyond belief.

• steve2
    steve2

Being in the company of anyone who has more than one active, thinking brain cell.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Arranging to go out in fiel circus with the visiting CO, and talking about what was going on in the congo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit