Why is America such an unequal society?

by hamilcarr 78 Replies latest social current

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Sorry Im so unprogressive.

Correct name: "Glibertarian". And that, only until there's a fire.

I never took a thing from the government.

lol.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

sucky example

fire department is local. its made up of people in the community. not a bloated authority that wants to control peoples lives.

putting out fires isnt to save a persons house or belongings. its to keep the fire from spreading and prevent loss of life.

let it burn to the ground for all I care. less mess for me to clean up.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Sorry Im so unprogressive.

No problem Ippy. Indeed, a redistributive state is more progressive than a status quo state, that's obvious. A libertarian 'leave me alone' attitude embraces the 'more of the same' ideology even more.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

its made up of people in the community.

That's how it should be and that's why governments all over Europe are trembling as angry people take to the streets demanding social policies and a sustainable economy.

• snowbird
    snowbird

America was founded on the tacit principle that only the landed gentry should govern or have a say in how government is administered.

That, my friend, is the underpinning of all things American, and that is America's undoing.

Occam's razor.

Sylvia

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    America was founded on the tacit principle that only the landed gentry should govern or have a say in how government is administered.

We the People of the United States ... promote the general Welfare.

I don't believe a concentration of power and wealth in a political or economic elite class is the underpinning of all things American. The US Constitution was way more progressive.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I don't believers the framers of the Constitution anticipated the influx of immigrants (forced or otherwise) that the US came to experience.

Sylvia

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I don't believers the framers of the Constitution anticipated the influx of immigrants (forced or otherwise) that the US came to experience.
    Sylvia

Maybe. Maybe not. In any case, they certainly were the best of the best that collective humanity had managed to get together into a room to hash out basic rules for society up to that point. Their documents and ideas are (mostly) timeless.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I respectfully and reluctantly dissent, Six.

I submit that the Decalogue, from which the Constitution framers drew heavily, is the best of the best.

But then, "collective humanity" had nothing to do with its hashing out, did it?

Sylvia

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I submit that the Decalogue, from which the Constitution framers drew heavily, is the best of the best.

negro please Where did the completely human decalogue even mention equality?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit