Did You Hate Going In Service???

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I can remember when I was a preschooler my mom trying to drag me out in service. I fought her and cried. It was very frustrating for both of us. It didn't get much better over the years.

• musky
    musky

I did not like field service. When I was a young boy (6 or 7)and I knocked on the door, I would sometimes get sympathetic people who would offer a cookie or something.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

No, I liked it and often looked forward to it. I enjoyed talking to people about diverse topics. Even though I was a long-time pioneer, I wasn't big on placing literature but actually talking with people. I would hold an half-hour conversation and not even to try place a thing. I was often criticized for that and asked why my placements were not higher. However, I never had a car trunk or basement full of old literature either.

• oompa
    oompa

despised it....always want to work alone so i could fake doorbell rings and knock quieter than a church mouse!!!............double life then....and still...............oompa

pioneering for a year due to guilt from my bad conduct in high school (hurt my parents...good people) was tough...except for the babes, one of which i married....pioneer poontang!

• Scarred for life
  • Athanasius
    Athanasius

I hated Field Service and as a kid tried all sorts of illnesses to get out of it.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Yes I had a strong dislike for knocking on peoples doors and wakening them

and telling them the sky was falling.

When it failed to fall in 75.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I thought it was what I was supposed to be doing--at least during the first 4 months or so. But, after that, it lost every last spark of life--and it became nothing more than a complete waste of my time.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I remember the first time I went out, and I actually placed two magazines with a couple. I was SO ecstatic that I wrote them a letter and thanked them for being so kind as to support my efforts in the ministry and that it was my first time and....

I went on and on like i had lost my VIRGINITY to them! Looking back and I am QUITE SURE they decided we were all certifiable and never opened the door to us again.

There were days I loved it but mostly it was required slavery and drudgery and I could not WAIT for it to be over each time.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I didn't like it. I was/am not a sales type person. Meeting kids i knew from school was the worst. My dad pushed me into having a 'bible study' w a kid from school, whose father took the mags. I would argue evolution w the kid for an hour or so, at a time. What fun:(

There were exceptions, though. There was bro who used to come out to the farm, where we lived to take us kids to do country territory. Sometimes, we'ld stop at a river, make a fire and roast wieners. That was fun. Early morning street witnessing w a few of the sisters who were regulars was fun. Interesting convos w them and coffee breaks to thaw out.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit